Mini KB: Chat Restrictions

1234511 ... 13
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ulanopo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-19-2014

I have removed the entry I made in the Knowledge Base. This thread will serve as an ongoing repository of everything I have been able to discover about the new chat restriction system.

Most recent changes: 28 JUN 2014
1 edit, 1 new entry.

I am doing this because I am not happy with Riot's messaging on this issue. They should have known that unveiling a new behavior system was going to result in a torrent of questions. They should have been available and prepared to answer them. I do not think it is appropriate to sanction an account without a better explanation than what was contained in the announcement. Yes, there are things they cannot say, but remaining quiet even with regard to the valid questions only causes chaos and distress.

"I have been placed on restricted chat. How did this happen and what does it mean?
"I have not used this account in an extended period of time, but I logged on to find that I was punished. WTF?
How were these "sweeps" conducted?
"How did they determine that I was toxic?"
"This is ****! How can I appeal this?"
"Muting me handicaps my ability to coordinate with my team, which makes it harder to win. Why are you punishing them for something I supposedly did?"
"I don't like that the system is 100% automated."
"Does this mean that the Tribunal is gone forever?"
"What are they doing about non-chat related toxicity? Are those people going unpunished?
"Why can't I get a Reform Card or an email so I can see why I was placed on restriction?"
"I don't like being used as part of an experiment."
"It feels like the system only looks at the number of reports. I bet there are a lot of bans that weren't deserved."
"This system is stupid. They should just be banning people."
"I don't think that chat restrictions are effective."
"It feels like they're just banning everyone!"
I just keep getting more chat restrictions. The system must be broken. EDITED
How do people get chat restrictions after a game where they don't talk or only call timers? Are those people lying?
Too many people are getting hit with these stupid chat restrictions. You guys are too sensitive.
"I have all this honor! I couldn't possibly be a toxic person!" NEW

Ulanopo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-19-2014

"I have been placed on restricted chat. How did this happen and what does it mean?

On 16.05.2014, Lyte announced that the Tribunal was being taken down for upgrades (The Tribunal was actually taken down more than two weeks prior.). (link) He also said the following:

In the meantime, a new system will hand out restricted chat punishments and game bans rapidly so players will be banned or placed into restricted chat mode within a few hours of their negative behavior.

Details on Restricted Chat can be found here.

Some things to be aware of:

* You can speak as much as you desire during champion select.
* No one will know that you are on Chat Restriction unless you tell them.
* You start with three messages and earn additional messages every four minutes to a maximum of five.
* You cannot be punished for "Refusal to Communicate."

Ulanopo

05-19-2014

"I have not used this account in an extended period of time, but I logged on to find that I was punished. WTF?"

MAJOR EDIT DUE TO NEW INFORMATION (2014.06.06)

From SlumberJack: (link)

At the time the Tribunal was taken down, if you had what was a relatively poor standing with the Tribunal we would issue you a chat restriction. The worse your standing was, the worse the chat restriction.
Also, (link)

If you didn't receive any cases before we started handing out chat restrictions, it is likely you were among the many who should have been hit by the Tribunal but because it was having some difficulties you just never got hit.

meadow

05-19-2014

Updating my notepad with your new link Ulanopo. Can I also request you to link your 'Refusal to Communicate' KB into this one as well since it's relevant perhaps for some people?

Ulanopo

05-19-2014

How were these "sweeps" conducted?

We cannot confirm this, but it appears that the system scanned matches from the lifetime of the account. We believe that the scan targeted matches which contained reports of sufficient weight to trigger a Tribunal case (If you don't understand what that means, please reference the main Knowledge Base).

EDIT: Confirmed with Player Support.

"The detection system looks at report weight in a manner similar to that used by the Tribunal."

Ulanopo

05-19-2014

"How did they determine that I was toxic?"

As part of the development of Team Builder, Team PB&J built "sophisticated language models to determine the quality of communication." Lyte has mentioned on several occasions that they could - and probably would - use those models to detect toxic chat. Given Lyte's penchant for accuracy, it seems likely that the detection system was thoroughly vetted before release.

From WookieeCookie, (link)

The chat restrictions are not based off of the last game you played but rather an investigation of a series of games you've been reported in. Just a few of the things we look at: frequency of games played, frequency of reports received, # of unique players reporting you, types of reports received and so on.
From Lyte: (link)
Secondly, we have a system that's been analyzing millions of chat logs, and become quite good at detecting whether a conversation in a game is negative or positive. I presented some of this work at the previous Game Developer's Conference. It's an interesting system because the more chat logs you feed the system, the more accurate it becomes at determining whether a player communicates more positively or negatively than the average player in League of Legends.
Keep in mind that Riot will NEVER release details about this detection system, as people would use it to skirt the system.

Ulanopo

05-19-2014

"This is ****! How can I appeal this?"

Use the support button on the upper right or follow this link.

Keep in mind that the people on this board are not Riot staff. We are volunteers that had no hand in applying this restriction. We can explain in a general sense what might have led to your restriction, but we do not have details.

Ulanopo

05-19-2014

"Muting me handicaps my ability to coordinate with my team, which makes it harder to win. Why are you punishing them for something I supposedly did?"

WARNING: This is a very long macro because this is not a simple subject.

To begin with, you aren't muted. You are limited in the number of messages you can send. You can also use the smart pings. The vast majority of the player base uses the chat and ping system in a way that would fit within the restrictions, so it's generally not a problem.

Lyte says that the chat restrictions are not really a problem: (link)

During restricted chat design testing, we tested several variants to ensure that the typical player had enough chat resources to communicate effectively with their team. The current setup (with smart pings) is decent for team communication for most players, although we acknowledge that junglers have a bit more difficulty in the current setup.

What's interesting to note is that many restricted chat players are actually winning more games than they were before being in restricted chat; so, I'm not as convinced as you are that the mode is hurting the rest of the team as much as you might believe.
Emphasis mine

Also from Lyte: (link)

I think many players forget that this isn't a full mute. A lot of studies went into restricted chat design to determine what is the right amount of chat 'resources' to give a player, and if players used their chat resources only for team play, they actually can manage pretty well. The current design forces negative players to consider whether they value teamplay (and winning!) more than being verbally abusive.. and we find that most players opt to use their chat resources for positive communication and end up winning more games than they did before.
Emphasis mine

If you are the sort of person who tracks information through the chat system (summoner spells, baron/dragon timers, etc.), you may wish to consider queuing with a partner who is not on restricted chat.

The chat restrictions generally work even with regard to roles that require more communication: (link)

We also tested versions of restricted chat with smart pings and found that the current settings are just right for the average player; however, sometimes players that play Jungle have a bit more difficulty communicating well through restricted chat because they want to type things like timers or coordinate ganks--but pings support communication pretty well in these cases too.

On a more abstract level, it has been our experience that people who receive a chat restriction generally do not use the chat system in a productive way. This complaint rings hollow when their chat was actively detrimental to team morale and cohesiveness.

(With assistance from Powerbats)

Ulanopo

05-19-2014

"I don't like that the system is 100% automated."

A certain amount of automation is necessary to meet the objective of the system: to provide feedback and correction in hours instead of days.

We know that the system is not entirely automated. (link)

You assume there's no human element. There's just less player involvement, but Rioters are heavily involved always.

"Automation" might not mean what you think it means: (link)

We'll look into revealing some context and information around some of the experiments in the future. We're trying a lot of different things while Tribunal is being upgraded, and "automated" was probably the wrong word to use.

By "automated," we simply meant that it is possible for a penalty to be handed out more quickly after a negative action. Sometimes in the Tribunal a negative action would happen and it'd be a month before the player received a notification or feedback about it.

This makes it sound as though "automation" is a streamlined and accelerated process that puts the case in front of the reviewer faster than the Tribunal, rather than a system that has little to no human input.

From WookieeCookie: (link)
The system is not automated at all currently. This wave of bans, and the wave of chat restrictions prior have been the result of close collaboration between a number of teams including Player Behavior and Justice, Business Intelligence, Player Support, and our regional offices. Human interaction has been a core component of each step the entire way through.
Additional clarification from Lyte (link)
There also is a lot of supervision over the restricted chat system. In fact, we have a few teams that review players that are queued up for chat restrictions and are constantly analyzing the accuracy of the system through manual checks and algorithmic checks. "Automated" was probably the wrong word to use, because all it really means is the ability to automatically assign penalties to players at a much quicker pace than the Tribunal was able to, while also doing it in-game with notifications instead of via e-mail many hours or weeks later.
At this time, I believe that the 5-game restrictions have minimal human oversight, while the 30 and 40-game restrictions are assigned manually.

Keep in mind that there are MANY things they cannot discuss regarding the inner workings of the chat restriction system.

* For some percentage of the restrictions, the algorithm flags accounts for manual review. Someone from Player Support then looks at the account history to determine if a restriction is warranted.
* We do not know what percentage of accounts undergo manual review.
* We do not know what criteria the reviewers use to determine if a restriction is warranted.

Ulanopo

05-19-2014

"Does this mean that the Tribunal is gone forever?"

Absolutely not. In fact, comments made over the weekend make it more clear that the Tribunal will be back.

EDIT: Confirmed with Player Support.

They want it back as much as we do, if not more.

1234511 ... 13