Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Climbing The Ladder

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NotNert13

05-18-2014

So this thread as the title shows will be about my experience in climbing out of "Elo Hell". And my tips to help you guys.
http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/20514259

(If you guys don't mind could you post a comment as well so that it goes back to the top would be extremely appreciated!)

So a little about me.
I was unranked season 1 season two I was 1200 elo and season 2 I was 1400 elo season 3 I got to gold twice but didn't play for a month both times and dropped to silver.

I started season 4 at Silver 4 (Forgot that elo) currently I am Plat 2 at 2060 elo. Quite a jump right? There is a reason I climbed 600 elo in not even an entire season but 4 months. I would like to share my experience in ranked and hopefully help others that were in my predicament.

So when I played I always knew that I was too good for the Elo I was in. Like many people in their Elo that felt that. And yes it was true I was too good individually to be there I just shouldn't have been (but I was) I said it then and i'll say it now. I know many higher ranked people the second they get there from climbing they will say "You're at that elo because you are not good/suck/belong there etc." Most cases that is indeed true this is not directed at said cases. I'm talking to people in the predicament I was in but, it could help those people too. So let's begin shall we?

(These aren't in any specific order just things i'm recalling as I go)
*If you want the simplified version of what i'm trying to say look at the last sentence for each one*

1. Your main role - Finding the role you are best at is the number 1 key to winning. While staying at a lower elo in prior seasons I just played whatever role I felt like at the time. I never got super good at any role in particular. This caused an extreme lack in my ability to learn a role. I never took the time to play every champion that goes middle and learn their abilities and how to counter them. I found that the more roles I played the more I knew but I got progressively worse at other roles due to my lack of playing them. Pick one role master it and roll the lane every game then just carry your team.

2. Your champion selection - I never had a specified champion I played other than Galio. But he wasn't in the meta and he wasn't that great. I always refused to listen to other people. I wanted to believe I could make him famous or some bs like that. I thought if I played him got high diamond on my own people would start playing him and recognizing him. Looking back I was quite delusional. He lacked the damage to be a mid. He lacked the sustain to be a support. He lacked the tanky sustain to be top. He is mediocre in every position you could possibly play him. I started season 4 as him couldn't really carry or anything but did extremely well so could sort of carry and if my team was reasonable I would usually win. Finally I was fed up, I wanted a champion I could play well do awesome with and carry my team. Then I found Ziggs and we fell in love instantly. (I had a 75% win rate with him up till gold 3 and 60 games later. *Before the nerf nation attacked*) I rose within one week from silver 3 to gold 3. An entire division in one week. I kept up this pace one Ryze's q was buffed making him extremely good and Heimerdinger rework and buff. I climbed from gold 3 to plat 5 in about another week. (12 win streaks help). Pick 2-3 champions *Preferably ones that don't really have counters* master them and just play them until the meta changes.

3. Some losses are unavoidable- Sometimes you will have one guy set on feeding because someone got the first blood or because someone said something he didn't like. He will spend the game arguing and not doing anything useful. It happens, get angry, vent,(Post game lobby) move on.

4. Individual skill is not as important - I thought because I was so good I didn't need teammates and when I got fed and couldn't "Carry" they were noobs, they were too heavy. That was my mindset and looking back at it, I was just dumb. (This goes hand and hand with maturity keep in mind I was 13 in season one and am now 17). I didn't realize until now that my raging at teammates telling them to do this, I know more and i'm smarter (Which I did and was) didn't work. The way you approach situations like that is ping objectives champions people and if your team doesn't do it and goes off to baron instead of tower, follow them. You raging at them telling them how stupid you are won't help anything. In fact now you're the problem. You aren't the one using teamwork or helping, you're just making things worse. So if they don't follow what you say so be it, if they are acting as a team go with them, raging won't help anything.

5. Use item builds in the meta - Next to champion selection this might be the most important thing. If I play Yi jungle but don't build feral flame right now, to be honest your build won't be nearly as good as it could be. It will extremely limit your ability to perform in the match. Look up proper builds on http://www.lolking.com there's tons of them and from my personal experience 90% of the top ones are really good and give very inciteful information about the champion and matchups.

6. Have faith in your teammates - I don't think I can stress this one enough. Now, do I mean trust your teammates will know what you are about to do and follow you in fights, no. Trust they will use the right ability when they need to. Should you rely on them doing that? No, don't rely on that. But trust that they will, you will make better decisions and if you make it obvious what they should do they most likely will. If they make a mistake you and I both know they are beating themselves up more than anyone else will. It isn't like they want to lose any more or less than you.

7. Keep a positive competitive attitude - Regardless of how your teammates may be doing or how you are doing being angry and negative won't help you. In hindsight i'm sure many of you have realized that you being negative and thinking you will lose negatively affected your performance. Just remember dc's and leavers happen. Nothing you can do. Just finish the game move on and forget it. We all have strings of bad teams it happens don't be angry at your next team because of mistakes your last team made. We also all have good teams. Don't set the standards for your next team the same as your last. If you think your teams have been super good and the next one will be just as good sometimes we tend to be a little lackadaisical. I guarantee this will cost you many more games than you will think. Don't flame teammates, if they make a mistake at most just say what they should do next time. Don't be nice or mean about it. If they engage just say. Let XXXXX engage next time. Or if they use a q when they should have just ulted say, simply that their ult would have been better instead of their q in that situation. If they get insulted and reply something negative to you, ignore it. You will get angry and if two teammates start raging at each other that hurts the rest of the teams performance and will cost many wins.

7. Have fun - Winning is a lot of fun I have to agree. But let's all be real 99.99% of us won't be pros. I most likely won't and you won't either. Enjoy your time in league. You only have so much time and if we are getting angry and are unhappy at the game we spend most of our time playing, then why play?

Good luck everyone I hope your journey in ranked prosperous and I will try to answer all questions. If anyone would like to contact me outside of the thread just send me a friend request NotNert13
(Also I don't have much free time but I would be willing to help coach people that truly want to go farther in league just contact me in game)
**Anyone reading this feel free to inform me of anything i should add.** Thank you for reading!

The Child Hawk

05-19-2014

Hah! All good info man. Stuff I'm learning too. I think this is all information we have to learn and figure out as the game progresses. Another thing too you should remind everyone that there are some games that some people don't wanna be carried. People are fightin', bot lanes arguing.

Ezreal's over here whining at tryndamere for some reason. "YOU BELONG IN A MUSEM. YOU BELONG IN A MUSEUM. GAW DYOUR SO BAD--"Yeah, yeah. Every game is winnable up to a certain point. Learn to recognize when there are problems that you cause, and problems other people cause. This isn't to play the blame game, but rather for your own benefit so you don't crash down upon your own self esteem. League is already stressful. Don't make it harder by beating yourself or someone up all day.

NotNert13

05-19-2014

Quote:
The Child Hawk:
Hah! All good info man. Stuff I'm learning too. I think this is all information we have to learn and figure out as the game progresses. Another thing too you should remind everyone that there are some games that some people don't wanna be carried. People are fightin', bot lanes arguing.

Ezreal's over here whining at tryndamere for some reason. "YOU BELONG IN A MUSEM. YOU BELONG IN A MUSEUM. GAW DYOUR SO BAD--"Yeah, yeah. Every game is winnable up to a certain point. Learn to recognize when there are problems that you cause, and problems other people cause. This isn't to play the blame game, but rather for your own benefit so you don't crash down upon your own self esteem. League is already stressful. Don't make it harder by beating yourself or someone up all day.

Done. I sort of address the second part.

colonoscopy

05-20-2014

i feel the same way and i am glad people are writing about it. i think the most helpful part of your guide for me was suggesting sticking to one role. it is hard though as there is pick order and you will have to revert to a secondary or tertiary role of your strength. i usually just try to ask what everyone wants to use and fill, but will counterpick if opportunity arises.

my problem is i can do well enough on my own top, but it is hard to be that extra more aggressive to finish the tower and help other lanes-granted enemy top is not an idiot.

right now i only play 2-3 heroes top. so you are suggesting to try everyone just to learn them better?

Brazzers Babe

05-20-2014

Don't forget to add that warding is a key to free-elo. If you have vision, you will win!!!

HashtagThatPower

05-20-2014

In my opinion there is no "elo-hell." You can easily get out of bronze or silver if you truly do not belong there, but to not belong there, you have to keep a positive attitude, ward, and most importantly do not expect much from your teammates at that low of an elo. I recommend picking a champion that can carry hard. In my placement matches, I was placed at Bronze 4. I started playing Katarina and I started winning alot of games. I believe my current score with her is something like 35 wins/9 losses. When I got to silver, I played Katarina until Silver 1, and then I started playing twisted fate. I'm sad to stay that I lost my touch with Katarina, but I managed to get from Bronze 4 to Gold 5 in 2-3 months.

TL;DR Learn a couple of hyper carries in normals, and when you feel comfortable, play them in ranked. Don't only play one role, learn them all and learn to fill. Ward. And make your team feel like they are pro.

NotNert13

05-20-2014

Quote:
HashtagThatPower:
In my opinion there is no "elo-hell." You can easily get out of bronze or silver if you truly do not belong there, but to not belong there, you have to keep a positive attitude, ward, and most importantly do not expect much from your teammates at that low of an elo. I recommend picking a champion that can carry hard. In my placement matches, I was placed at Bronze 4. I started playing Katarina and I started winning alot of games. I believe my current score with her is something like 35 wins/9 losses. When I got to silver, I played Katarina until Silver 1, and then I started playing twisted fate. I'm sad to stay that I lost my touch with Katarina, but I managed to get from Bronze 4 to Gold 5 in 2-3 months.

TL;DR Learn a couple of hyper carries in normals, and when you feel comfortable, play them in ranked. Don't only play one role, learn them all and learn to fill. Ward. And make your team feel like they are pro.

1. Elo Hell is a term people use to describe low elo. Low elo does exist does it not? 2. If you just have the sheer talent to be at a gold-plat level you still might be in silver 1, that's what happened to me. 3. You didn't lose your touch with Katarina, the players just got better and you couldn't continue steam rolling them. 4. I totally agree on the hyper carry thing as I say. 5. Absolutely learn every role, but focus one roll and main that role learn it's ins and outs learn every way to play it. I rarely saw/see someone in pre game lobby past gold 3~ say fill. You can't learn every role well enough to be competitive in them. Especially if you are just trying to get into a higher rank.

NotNert13

05-20-2014

Quote:
colonoscopy:
i feel the same way and i am glad people are writing about it. i think the most helpful part of your guide for me was suggesting sticking to one role. it is hard though as there is pick order and you will have to revert to a secondary or tertiary role of your strength. i usually just try to ask what everyone wants to use and fill, but will counterpick if opportunity arises.

my problem is i can do well enough on my own top, but it is hard to be that extra more aggressive to finish the tower and help other lanes-granted enemy top is not an idiot.

right now i only play 2-3 heroes top. so you are suggesting to try everyone just to learn them better?

Okay so looking at your stats I see two things. 1. You main top wukong/malph. 2. You need to get more cs. You do fine with your kills but your cs should average about 60 higher. Malphite is not a huge lane pusher. He is meant to be a safe pick top and just not feed, then late game provide a nice tank and engage. I wouldn't call him a super good pick right now because his carrying potential is low. Wukong on the other hand is fantastic at killing champions and lane pushing, your k/d with him is fantastic, you just need to be more aggressive when you get fed. Looking at your cs and you having the problem with pushing I would say your main focus would be to know when to last hit and when to just auto attack and push. But yes, I would say main 2-3 champions preferably ones who are hard to counter. But they can also carry and do well late.

colonoscopy

05-20-2014

Quote:
NotNert13:
Okay so looking at your stats I see two things. 1. You main top wukong/malph. 2. You need to get more cs. You do fine with your kills but your cs should average about 60 higher. Malphite is not a huge lane pusher. He is meant to be a safe pick top and just not feed, then late game provide a nice tank and engage. I wouldn't call him a super good pick right now because his carrying potential is low. Wukong on the other hand is fantastic at killing champions and lane pushing, your k/d with him is fantastic, you just need to be more aggressive when you get fed. Looking at your cs and you having the problem with pushing I would say your main focus would be to know when to last hit and when to just auto attack and push. But yes, I would say main 2-3 champions preferably ones who are hard to counter. But they can also carry and do well late.

Cool thanks for looking at my stats. Yea I am still working on the 60cs/10min. problem is i sometimes get too engaged in trading with the opponent. Currently my strategy is try to get fed early by being very aggressive early. I know getting lots of cs is safer way to get money but when my mid and bot are going down the drain I can't just sit there and farm.

Any recs on hyper carry tops? I am thinking maybe Riven.

NotNert13

05-20-2014

Quote:
colonoscopy:
Cool thanks for looking at my stats. Yea I am still working on the 60cs/10min. problem is i sometimes get too engaged in trading with the opponent. Currently my strategy is try to get fed early by being very aggressive early. I know getting lots of cs is safer way to get money but when my mid and bot are going down the drain I can't just sit there and farm.

Any recs on hyper carry tops? I am thinking maybe Riven.

Riven has the tendency to fall late game, especially with a team that isn't very good. Champions that I would recommend to someone in silver/bronze are Wukong, Kayle, Tryndamere, those are the first ones that pop into my head.