Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Contraversial Item For Akali? Gunblade vs. Rylais

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GotOwned

01-17-2011

I am just wondering. I've seen on threads, how many people either rush a gunblade over rylais or vice versa. In my opinion, it is situational, gunblade first if you have no problems with health or dying, and rylais first, if you need more health.
1. Is there really a bad thing if you rush one or the other?
2.And is rylais and gunblade BOTH essential to akali's build? Or is one essential over the other. Hope you guys can answer all these questions.

P.S. this is for higher elo gameplay(if not already obvious in the category)

Crolda

01-17-2011

Rylai's works far better on her. Your main initiation skill benefits greatly from Rylai's, not to mention the fact that between health and AD, health tends to win out on Akali. Even if it's the only health item you pick up on her, it helps greatly.

I will say that I'm a bit biased simply because I like AP more than AD on her, and while a hybrid is good, I lean towards AP. Especially early-on, focusing on AP will make her Q far more deadly. AD tends to help more towards the end of a game, so if you really MUST get a gunblade, I would suggest doing it after the scepter.

Vakireth

01-18-2011

There's a really good guide that basically sums it up as "no Rylai, no Akali." Although, the same guide suggests you don't actually rush either of those, but instead rush Sheen (for later lichbane) to improve her burst and THEN rush Rylai (sneak boots in there somewhere.)

Lace Affair

01-18-2011

Quote:
Vakireth:
There's a really good guide that basically sums it up as "no Rylai, no Akali." Although, the same guide suggests you don't actually rush either of those, but instead rush Sheen (for later lichbane) to improve her burst and THEN rush Rylai (sneak boots in there somewhere.)

After playing about 50 games rushing Sheen first before switching back to rushing Rylai's, I find it more beneficial on Akali to rush Rylai's, it's much easier to turret dive, improves survivability and gives you the hazardous slow that Sheen wouldn't normally allow you to finish off an opponent with if they can escape, but I suppose it really depends on your play style.

Vakireth

01-18-2011

Yeah not to mention most people are like "why u have mana item" and you have to waste that precious minute or so explaining why burst damage is good on an assassin.

Either way the main point is that while gunblade is debatable and can be great in some situations Rylai is not debatable at all. It's a staple and you're getting it that game if you know what's good for you. Rushing Rylai gives you more time to analyze the battle even, and determine if a gunblade will be useful or not.

Arcolyte

Recruiter

01-18-2011

You need Rylai's, sheen, sorcerer boots, after that if your team is rocking the house, I get mejai's finish lich bane. If not, the revolver then decide which will be better, Is my team good? WotA, am I carrying like a boss and blowing up squishies left and right? Gunblade. If your team is cohesive WotA is a good choice because you can hang back just a little bit longer to pick your mark before you dive in while still providing something to the team.

--Arcolyte

Sturge

Recruiter

01-18-2011

Rylai's is good for a standard akali build which focuses on low AD output but enough to get you good spell vamp.
Gunblade focuses on a more hybrid AD > AP build.
I'm partial towards rylai over gunblade in that it increases survivability by a large amount compared to gunblade where the only thing it offers you is a rush and die card vs a pop gunblade and try to run.
This debate has come up previously with katarina rushing 5x gunblades opposed to a standard kat ap build in which you go rylai's. Kat with gunblades is one of the best assassins in the game, but can legitimately not stand up to a 2v1 in which she can be stunned, its the same story with akali if she has a gunblade.
Bottom line, rylai's > gunblade for akali if you're rushing 1, if you want some extra ap/ad after your rylai's go for the gunblade.

Elalya

01-18-2011

I agree with the general consensus that Rylai's is a must for Akali--it gives everything that she really needs. I have another question, though, obviously Lichbane is dope, but recently I've been experiencing with getting Deathcap first and been doing quite well. Opinions?

Montegomery

Recruiter

01-20-2011

You can't really go wrong with Rylai's, but on occasion you can go right with Gunblade.

The specific circumstance in which Gunblade is far, far better than Rylai's is when your team is already at a significant advantage early. If the enemy is behind on all fronts and you've been farming well a quick Gunblade will allow you to carry your team to a fast victory. Gunblade Akali versus a team of underfarmed, underleveled opponents is practically unkillable.

The vast majority of the time, however, Rylai's is the way to go.

Hayate

01-22-2011

Quote:
Elalya:
I agree with the general consensus that Rylai's is a must for Akali--it gives everything that she really needs. I have another question, though, obviously Lichbane is dope, but recently I've been experiencing with getting Deathcap first and been doing quite well. Opinions?
What I've been doing is this:

Doran Blade
Rylais
Mercury threads or Sorcerer boots
Sheen
Death Cap
Lich Bane

games usually finish before I get Lich Bane though