Does anyone else feel like snowballing is out of hand?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BroForgotnglory

01-17-2011

Well let me start off by saying that if you can actually manage to get 20 stacks in either levi,mejas,or occult then good for you. You deserve to sit there 1v5ing the other team. My problem is not so much with the fact that a player can snowball to rediculous proportations but with the fact that once it has happened theres not much you can do against it. Sure, you can try to focus that 20 stack leblanc or anivia and sure you might kill her, but it's almost guranteed that she will atleast take 2 or 3 of your team with her, and if her team cleans house (which lets face it, is almost guranteed) she will gain enough assists to almost be back up to 20 stacks. So while it may be possible to defeat a snowballed monstronsity, often the result of doing so is feeding the other team. Not only will you be feeding them kills but you will be feeding them towers/dragons/barons/and god forbid more stacking items.

Addressing snowballing team via consumables

Adjusting exlir's - Exlirs could be a great anti snowball item with one minor adjustmest. Make them not loose any duration time whilst dead. Infact i would go as far as to say that they should gain time if you die.

By allowing exlirs to gain duration time should the user die they suddenly become a great investment and with the addition of a few new elixrs or just allowing them to stack upon eachother they could eventually even the odds against a team that has snowballed for the entire game.

Wards need love to! - Something that often goes unnoticed is the simple fact that if your being pounded into the ground and cant leave your base, not only are wards almost pointless you cant afford to keep replacing them. But what if wards gained duration time for the amount of time you were dead? The results would be interestin to say the least. Imagine a feeder having 10 wards up. Suddenly that feeder seems like your best friend eh?

New shiny consumables - Now often a team that is snowballing or even just a single player that has snowballed will have a full inventory way before his poor victims. What better way to counter snowballing then by offering something that the snowballe- wouldnt have room for? Now personally i would like new "passive consumables" consumables that would only activate themselves and couldnt be activated by players. (these consumables take inventory space).

Examples of passive consumable items.

Forgotten power - when a player is hit for 500+ damage in a single attack he or she temporarily gains 30 MR/AR. Duration - 5 minutes

Holy shield - When a player receives 1000+ damage in the course of a few seconds he or she heals for 500 life. Duration 5 minutes

Bottled rage - an attack that would of killed you leaves you at 1 hp. (This is not endless rage, when your 1 hp any attack will kill you). Duration 5 minutes.

Addressing snowballing via items.

Well honestly there isnt a whole lot that can be done with items to lessen the blow of snowballing. Really the only thing that comes to mind is reversed snowballing items that get better the more you die and get worse the better you do. I suppouse items could also be added that gave you an advatange over players higher then your level or with significant more stats but at the end of the day such items only promote bad play and at worse promote feeding.However if anyone has any ideas for items that could be used by the victims and not be abused by the snowballers i would be really interested in hearing them.

Addressing snowballing via dragon.

Now i think this would be an interesting approach to addressing the issue and there are a whole plethora of ways to do this. Personally i think the most interesting way would be to have the dragon grant bonus gold based on the number of deaths a player has. This then gives a loosing team alot of hope, especially if they are loosing really badly. However something as simple as granting the dragon more and more life for every time its killed would go a long ways in addressing snowballing.

Atown305

01-17-2011

The Snowball effect can cause losses very easily especially if its a carry getting fed.. happened to me plenty of times.. but one game it was terrible because there were 4 tanks and one carry that was fed.. we lost badly cuz we were squishies with one tank, something should be done

Crayon Puppet

01-17-2011

Another interesting idea but this one is kind of drastic.

DreamPhantom

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2011

This is what i see: "Penalize players for doing well"
One does not need a snowball item to "snowball", Snowballing just happens. As for pausing the timer on a buff/ward/consumable for the duration of death is kind of like rewarding someone for dieing. This can not only be easily abused, but rewarding feeders or w/e just seems dumb.

Now there is a level cap and a Item cap....aka 6 slots. When Everyone gets all 6 slots filled (with end game items) and everyone is at 18, no one has an "item" or "level" advantage. So if u snowballed well then you need to rush the advantage b4 that happens. If you snowballed badly just hold out till the battlefield evens out.

Ebonclaw

01-17-2011

I would tend to agree. Every time I am exposed to a threesome, it seems that eventually there will be some really lurid snowballing going on, and you know, I don't think it's necessary every time. I think we could use a little more restraint in these things.

+1

thehippiekiller

01-17-2011

i just think snowitems need diminishing returns when they are just killing the same person over and over

Bigcase

01-17-2011

i think snowball items should be removed completely or nerfed.

Nouansiri

01-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamPhantom View Post
One does not need a snowball item to "snowball", Snowballing just happens. As for pausing the timer on a buff/ward/consumable for the duration of death is kind of like rewarding someone for dieing. This can not only be easily abused, but rewarding feeders or w/e just seems dumb.

Now there is a level cap and a Item cap....aka 6 slots. When Everyone gets all 6 slots filled (with end game items) and everyone is at 18, no one has an "item" or "level" advantage. So if u snowballed well then you need to rush the advantage b4 that happens. If you snowballed badly just hold out till the battlefield evens out.
It's not even that the other team has been doing well at all. I played a game with my buddy and he was playing pantheon and I was playing nasus. We had top lane and my buddy was fed 5-0 early in game, but because our cho (vagisgood) literally ran down mid lane and fed Swain everytime he spawned. My buddy managed to still to have the most kills in the game combined (around 20+) but eventually the Cho feeding caught up to us. There was no way to stop it even though we were ahead for a good amount of time. The game lasted for more than an hour and eventually our Nexus got killed by swarms of Super minions. We weren't expecting to win, but we could have if the other team wasn't fed by Cho.

DreamPhantom

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouansiri View Post
It's not even that the other team has been doing well at all. I played a game with my buddy and he was playing pantheon and I was playing nasus. We had top lane and my buddy was fed 5-0 early in game, but because our cho (vagisgood) literally ran down mid lane and fed Swain everytime he spawned. My buddy managed to still to have the most kills in the game combined (around 20+) but eventually the Cho feeding caught up to us. There was no way to stop it even though we were ahead for a good amount of time. The game lasted for more than an hour and eventually our Nexus got killed by swarms of Super minions. We weren't expecting to win, but we could have if the other team wasn't fed by Cho.
In this situation reguardless of snowball items.... this was likely bound to happen. It all depends if u could have stopped the downward spiral in time. *aka finish the game in time*
but then again its just like ur unrolling the snowball then rolling it the other way lol

BroForgotnglory

01-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamPhantom View Post

It's not penalizing players for doing well, it's just making things more effective for the players that are doing bad. As far as rewarding someone for dieing, yea thats kind of the point. However are you going to go kill yourself to a tower to save 30 seconds on a ward? are you going to let your team 4v5 just to save 30 seconds on a 75 gold item? On one hand yes, this could be used to reward feeding, but if someone is feeding more often then not the other team is gaining several stacks. So while that person is feeding to gain an extra 30 seconds on there wards the other team is gaining 20 stacks and tearing his team apart. So while it is correct to say that dieing is a reward i dont think it is abuseable, because the benefits do not outwiegh the consequences of doing such. (thats not even counting the fact that feeding would actually give the enemy more gold then it would save).

In games where someone actually manages to get 20 stacks i can almost gurantee you that game is going to be over within the next 5-15 minutes. The team of victims will never reach end game because the enemy snowballed so hard that there literally helpless. Thus the reason of me posting this as you can probably guess i was on one of these victimized teams(several times this week) and there was literally nothing we could do. (Just for the record i was also on the giving end of these snowball fests)

Literally the enemy team didnt have a jungle, the game was literally something like 17, 2 in our favour but little by little as we annihilated leblancs team she kept gaining a few stacks here and there untill WHAM! by 20 minutes, it was something like 27 to 15. (leblanc was the only person on there team with kills). Do you know how the rest of that game went? Lets just say i unistalled LOL for a few days afterwards..... literally i think my whole team built banshees and even hexdrinkers but there was just no stopping her snowball, even with tryndamere on our team we wound up loosing that match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcase View Post
i think snowball items should be removed completely or nerfed.

Actually i agree with you but i know it will never happen. Snowball items offer so much unique gameplay and they provide those OMFG I AM GOD! moments. So while smurfs may use them to terrorize newbs, and while they may completely destroy balance. The game play they offer is worth it. (Altho personally i still think they should be disabled for anyone below level 10).