Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Let's talk about Swain.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

VÃ¥nquish

05-15-2014

First of all. I love Swain, I think he's probably my favorite mage. That being said, there are things about him that make him stressful to play. Considering how amazing he is late game, I really don't want to say that any of his skills need to be scaled up, but I do think he needs some attention.

Swain has a very bad early game, he has no skill that he can use to really push with, he's very mana hungry, and he depends on auto attacks to last hit for the most part, though you can do that with his Q if you learn to time it well enough. Farming on Swain sucks until mid game when you have some good items. You could max Nevermove first but everyone knows that doing so is counterproductive when it comes to trading in lane, obviously you want your DoTs stronger first. So with weaker push and trade power I often find myself shoved under tower and struggling to keep my CS in a good place. I honestly can't say I have an idea to fix this issue off the top of my head, I'm not a champion designer, I simply wanted to point some stuff out.

Now, when Swain does pick up, he REALLY picks up, but there is one thing that he struggles with that could be easily fixed and would make a world of difference all game long. Swain is a close range mage. Unlike many mages who need to go in burst and get out before they get nuked, Swain needs to get into the thick of it to be at his best. His ult makes him tanky enough to get in the middle of a team fight and do what he needs to, and since his spells are all pretty short range, that makes sense. Now all this being said, Swain is slow. Like most mages his movement speed pretty much sucks, and he has no movement skills to make up for that. So... he's a short range mage who needs to stay on top of enemy champions late game, who is slow. All Riot needs to do is buff his movement speed, that's it. I run MS quints on him all the time to help with this, but I still find myself being outrun a lot of the time.

These are my thoughts on the champion, I hope he gets some love at some point, he's definitely an awesome champion, and I love that he uses DoTs. But there's a reason not many people play him.

I'm curious as to what the rest of you think, I would love to get a large scale thread going here talking about potential tweaks and what you would like to see done with Swain. Let me know.

OAC

05-15-2014

he should definitely lose some all-in and heals more more utility to keep up with current META.

Sleeper Cell

05-15-2014

I really, REALLY feel like his Ult healing him is a derpy mechanic that I think should be removed in favor of more damagez/utility. It just doesn't feel like it fits in with his concept either. When I think of Swain I think of a dominant tyrant (mage) arche-type who fights by overpowering his enemies or crippling them into submission. His Q and W fit into this concept perfectly but his Ult and E just don't seem to contribute at all. I guess his Ult makes him feel overbearing when he is already winning lane, but that's contributing for the wrong reasons and when he is already behind it makes him seem pathetic since his ult doesn't do much for him at all then.

Blue Moon Seraph

05-16-2014

Really, his E is his signature move. Maybe not visually, but the damage and %damage boost are what allow him to bully early game. QE AA is a great short combo that can scare off squishies in lane.

His Ult is also perfectly fit for him. It's another dps skill that has some aoe effect (which he generally lacks) but lets him wade into team fights and eat the enemy team alive. Few true mages can pull something like that off. He is more honestly an AP bruiser in a similar vein as Rumble. Build a bit bulky and some AP for sustain and he wins teamfights.

He isn't meant to be a highly mobile assassin or long range siege platform. Leave those roles to the Akalis and the Xeraths. What I would love to see on him is just a bit more move speed. I often end up getting sorc boots with alacrity and still ending up going about 380. But that may very well break him, allowing for better usage of nevermove while chasing.

As he stands, Swain is a careful counterpick, able to bully opponents out of lane and win teamfights for his team. Really the opposite of the burst oriented assassins common today who don't have much to do except pick one target and try to make them stop existing. He often won't lose to assassins and will be tricky to handle once he hits his sweet spot of being too scary to leave alone, but powerful enough to survive.

His lane clear and pushing are what put him behind other mages, but his sustained dps and tankiness is what puts him above assassins. All in all, he is in a wonderful place, able to win games for his team, yet allowing for counter play from the enemy team. One of the most balanced champions in the game quite honestly.