Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Complete Guide to Lux: Lady of Luminosity

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xyenzi

01-16-2011

Overview

Lux is a mage who uses light offensively and defensively to help her team. She is great support as she can slow enemies, bind enemies, and shield allies. However due to the high damage and range of her spells she is also able to carry her team if played well. All of her moves are skill shots and will require practice. You will want to stay in the back for team fights, and continuously cast your spells. Take advantage of her range, low cooldowns, and crowd control abilities. She also excels at mopping up enemies after a fight has occurred.

Outside The Arena

Runes

Red - Magic Penetration | You want to be able to damage enemies with your spells
Yellow - Flat Mana Regen | Allows Lux to lane longer and consistently harass
Blue - Flat CDR | Use moves quicker
Quint - Flat HP | Lux is squishy and 100 extra hp is extremely helpful

Summoner Spells

Lux's usefulness depends largely on how she is positioned. Thus, Ghost and Flash are the most useful to her.

Ghost can be used to flee enemies as well as catch up and kill an enemy champion.

Flash is great for jumping trees and cliffs if you are being targeted. It can also be used tactically to set up snares and get kills

Masteries

9/0/21

Offense:
1/3 Deadliness
3/3 Archmage's Savvy
4/4 Sorcery
1/1 Archaic Knowledge

The critical will improve Lux's lane power and the others will help her spells.

Utility:
3/3 Perseverance
1/1 Haste
4/4 Expanded Mind
3/3 Meditation
2/2 Utility Mastery
3/3 Quickness
1/1 Blink of an Eye
3/3 Intelligence
1/1 Presence of the Master

These will help Lux's mana, allowing her to consistently harass. Respectively, Haste, Blink of an Eye, and Presence of the Master will improve your Summoner spells so that you can make the most of them. Utility Mastery prolongs the duration of buffs which is useful for blue buff, Lux enjoys the cooldown reduction but does not need the mana regen, aswell as the baron buff. Quickness is good as Lux needs to have movespeed to catch up to fleeing enemies and escape pursuing enemies. Lux is a mage and thus intelligence is good for her, as she needs to be able to cast spells as quickly as possible.

Inside The Arena

Items

Our first aim is to get Lux enough AP so that she can deal damage effectively and shield her allies. However Lux is squishy and will need items which increase her survivability too. She does not need mana regen as the runes and masteries have covered it.

->Doran's Ring + Health Potion
->Mejai's Soulstealer
->Sorcerer's Shoes
->Rod of Ages
->Rabadon's Deathcap
->Lich Bane
->Zhonya's Hourglass ( sell Doran's Ring )

Soulstealer allows Lux to rack up a lot of AP as long as you do not die. The Sorcerer's Shoes allow for some needed magic penetration. Rod of Ages gives AP, but also some health for survivability and mana to cast more spells. After Rabadon's youll have around 500 AP if you have played well. This means her laser is dealing 1000 or more damage, meaning you can effectively kill any squishy who is about half hp. Lich Bane gives more AP, aswell as gives her movement speed which is great for Lux. On top of that the effect makes Lux's auto attack useful for when she has used all her abilities. Lastly Zhonyas Hourglass gives AP and allows you to become invulnerable for two seconds.

Moveset and How To Use

You'll want to put your first level into Light Binding. After that level Lucent Singularity as your first priority, and Prismatic Barrier as your second. Get Finales Funkeln at levels 6, 11, and 16. Light binding is the last skill to reach level 5.

Passive: Illumination

Lux's damaging spells charge the target with energy for 6 seconds. Lux's next attack ignites the energy, dealing 20-190 (depending on Lux's level) magic damage to the target.

Light Binding

Fires a ball of light towards a target location, binding and damaging up to 2 enemy units. The first target takes 60/110/160/210/260 (+0.7) magic damage and is bound for 2 seconds. The second target takes 50% of the damage and is only bound for 1 second. This is a skill shot.
Cost 60/75/90/105/120 Mana

Note: Snare prevents enemy movement but does NOT prevent the enemy from attacking or using their skills.

Reasoning for Priority: This skill stays at level 1 because it scales well with AP so it deals decent damage, and by leveling this skill it will increase the mana cost which is not good for early game.

Tips

• It is a skillshot. To hit, predict an enemies movement
  • If the enemy champion is hiding behind minions you can still use this skill as it hits two targets
  • You can also wait until the enemy minion is about to die then use this skill and it will do its full effect
  • Make sure to auto-attack the enemy after using this skill to trigger Lux's passive
  • You can use this skill to save teammates, escape ganks, aswell as set up your own ganks
  • This skill can also be used to hold the enemy in place so you are sure to hit with your ultimate

Prismatic Barrier

Lux throws her wand to the target location and back, protecting herself and all allied champions it touches from 50/75/100/125/150 (+0.35) damage for 3 seconds.
Cost 60/60/60/60/60 Mana

Note: This shield acts like a boomerang and will shield allies and herself twice, however the shield does not stack over itself and instead refreshes.

Reasoning for Priority: Lux is support. This move does not scale too well with AP so it is best to level it. It is a key element to winning team fights, and allies will thank you for saving their asses.

Tips
  • This is best used when your team is fighting and you are able to shield them all at once
  • You can use this to block damage from towers
  • It is great for blocking moves like Zilean's Timebomb
  • You can save fleeing allies who are running from enemies
  • This skill will follow you on its return trip

Lucent Singularity

Creates a zone that slows enemy units by 20/24/28/32/36% (zone lasts 5 seconds). Can be detonated to damage enemies in the area for 60/105/150/195/240 (+0.6) magic damage.
Cost 70/85/100/115/130 Mana

Note: This skill can be used to scout bushes even if the zone is not directly in the bushes. Just as long as its close by.

Reasoning for Priority: This skill does good damage, and is great for harassing and farming due to its range, low cooldown, and aoe.

Tips
  • It is a skillshot. To hit, predict an enemies movement
  • Make sure to hit both enemy champions, and minions with this skill
  • Once this skill hits make sure to auto-attack so that you activate Lux's passive to do further damage to the enemy champion and get minion kills
  • You can also use this skill to zone out enemies and ensure that they do not get experience or gold
  • At level 6, after consistently harassing the enemy with this skill, you should be able to kill the enemy champion with your ultimate after one last hit of this skill
  • You can use this skill to slow runners as well as pursuers, just make sure to detonate it as they are about to leave the zone

Finales Funkeln

After a short delay, Lux fires a stream of light in front of her, dealing 300/400/500 (+0.85) to all enemy units in the area. In addition, ignites the target for Illumination damage if under its effect, and refreshes the Illumination debuff.
Cost 100/150/200 Mana

Note: Although not an auto attack, this laser still triggers Lux's passive. Meaning at level 6 you will deal an extra 70 magic damage if you had hit an enemy with Light Binding or Lucent Singularity.

Tips
  • The key to hitting with this move is to predict enemy movement, and fire where they are going and not to where they are-- unless they are not moving
  • This move is often used to kill champions who are near death, however in a team fight it is often more useful to use this when multiple enemies are together even if they are full hp
  • After a fight has occurred and an low hp enemy hero has escaped and you are just arriving, even when you do not have vision, try to use this laser next to a tower or in nearby brushes as they are trying to blue pill home. More often than not you will get a kill

Gameplay

Laning

At level one, light binding is effective to hold enemies in place to try to get first blood with your lane partner. You can harass using this skill for your first level due to the low mana cost. When you get Lucent Singularity you will want to have a very consistent harass, hitting enemy minions and champions with this skill at the same time. Make use of Lux's high mana regen! Try to auto-attack enemy champions only when they have Lux's Illumination passive on them. Be aggressive, but do NOT tower dive. The range of Lucent Singularity allows Lux to even harass champions who are hugging the tower. You can also use Lucent Singularity into bushes if you expect a gank. The key to getting a kill at level 6 is to keep up a consistent harass, but to not get them under 300 as they will blue pill home. Once you hit level 6, hit them with Lucent Singularity or Light Binding and then follow up with your Ultimate, dead. Be sure to check other lanes too, as a low HP enemy hero may be hugging a tower and will not expect a laser from you. Be sure to get Soulstealer soon, particularly after your first kill or even before, as you need to start getting AP. Then get your Sorcerer's shoes.

Middle Game

This is Lux's weak point. You will be building Rod of Ages at this time, so your damage will not be significantly high. Make sure to stay at the back in team fights. You want to hit as many enemies as possible so that you can get assists, and get stacks for Soulstealer. Make sure you are using Prismatic Barrier to shield teammates if they are being attacked. Light Binding is great for holding stray Champions and getting a kill for your team. Continue to kill minions with your Lucent Singularity to farm gold. If enemy champions are hugging the tower you are the person on the team who will be doing damage to them due to the long range of your spells. Rod of Ages is now finished. You are in the process of building the Deathcap, and right now your damage is decent. If enemies are piled up in teamfights you want to use your laser then. However if you can manage, throw a Lucent Singularity beforehand, this will give your laser moderate bonus damage. You will get some assists and perhaps a kill or two. Deathcap is now complete.

End Game

After the completion of Deathcap and turning level 16, you can now be called a sniper. If you have played well enough you will have atleast 10 stacks of Soulstealer, Meaning your AP will be over 500. You are now dealing 1000 damage just with your laser alone. You can effectively kill any squishy by yourself. Lucent Singularity, Snare, Laser--- Death. Play safe still, do not wander around past river on your own, and stay at the back in teamfights. When you get Lich Bane, you are a menace to the other team. After you've used a skill, your auto attack will be dealing 600, 700, or even 800 damage. If your team has not won by now, you are their priority. Zhonya's Hourglass will ruin their focus on you and ensure you survive. Dont forget your Summoner Skills too. Make sure you are still shielding teammates too, even if you are dealing massive damage, you are still support.

General Tips

• Give middle lane to your teams carry. Unless noone else wants to middle lane you should not
  • As Lux it is harder to lane against tanks due to their MR. Ask for a lane swap if need be
  • Sivir is also a hard matchup for Lux
  • Wraiths are easily killed by a Lucent Singularity and some auto attacks. Use this to farm
  • Only kill a fleeing champion with your laser if noone else on your team will kill them
  • If the enemy team has Tryndamere, you may want to save your ultimate for him
  • You can steal Baron and The Dragon by throwing a Lucent Singularity for vision and then using your ultimate
  • While the blue buff is nice to have, it is more beneficial for other casters on your team
  • Although Lux's abilities are skill shots, once you get the hang of them, enemies will have a hard time dodging them due to their speed

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to ask questions or make suggestions

Thigmonasty

01-17-2011

I like to use some form of CDR for R lulz. Usually go with frozen heart somewhere after/during mid. lose some AP, but gain more lazor fun..and that armor isnt too shabby

Xyenzi

01-17-2011

CDR runes and Masteries give 15% CDR right off that bat. It is a good substitute for the lack of CDR in the items I have chosen. I do not think the CDR is even so necessary for Lux, as it will only reduce her cooldowns by one or two seconds, besides her ultimate. On top of that, I find I am able to max out Soulstealer fairly easily, and I often get the blue buff just by killing enemy champions.

Thigmonasty

01-17-2011

Should have clarified what I mean "for lulz". I get it when I know we are going to win and all I want to do is charge my lazor. Much like when I get AP on rammus

TadH

01-17-2011

with CRD on lux you can get much more then 2 seconds worth, for example her ult will scale down to 24 seconds with 40% CDR,

omgacow

01-17-2011

no CDR = fail lux build

CDR boots+fiendish codex+masteries/runes = max CDR for cheap

Xyenzi

01-17-2011

For those who believe that CDR is necessary, simply replace Sorcerer's shoes with CDR boots. However like I've said, besides Lux's ultimate, her other abilities only get one or two seconds reduced cooldown. Masteries and runes allow for 15% reduction anyway, and that can be further increased by getting max Soulstealer and killing enemies who have blue buff or simply getting blue buff yourself. I am able to reach the max CDR by doing this, getting my ultimate to 24 seconds, and have not bought items which revolve around CDR. This makes my Lux do massive damage, and also be able to spam spells as any other Lux, so as long as you play well enough.

MBirk

01-17-2011

Quote:
Xyenzi:
CDR runes and Masteries give 15% CDR right off that bat. It is a good substitute for the lack of CDR in the items I have chosen. I do not think the CDR is even so necessary for Lux, as it will only reduce her cooldowns by one or two seconds, besides her ultimate. On top of that, I find I am able to max out Soulstealer fairly easily, and I often get the blue buff just by killing enemy champions.

1 or 2 seconds is the difference between casting binding one time or two times in a team fight.
In over, 60 games with lux, and honestly 600+ total. I have never gotten and held 20stacks of mejais. And lux DOES stack up mejais with assists pretty easy. But the game is long over before that happens. pretty sure the only times I have broken 12+ was as we killed their inner towers, and were taking out the nexus.
Casters are not late game champions. if you are 15+stacks on mejais and are not pushing to end that game asap, you are handing the win over to the other team, as their trynd/yi/trist/sivir, whatever farms.
So, I would ask. Why rod? You are a sniper, you're playing her as a sniper. The hp doesn't mean all that much. So why not something like SS, kindlegem, glacial shroud, even fiendish cotex? one of those giving mana regen, cdr, and hp. Or armor+cdr, or ap, cdr, mana regen seems like a better choice.

And with deathcap in the game, even mejais is just slowing down your deathcap. Needlessly doesn't require stacks for its 80ap. at only 400gold more. That 400 gold is much easier to farm, with dragon, lanes, or even kills/assists. it would take a miracle triple kill right after getting mejais to equal the ap needlessly gives. And while mejais does keep stacking on with assists/kills, deathcap also now provides a much larger final ap payoff then zhoynas did. Its more ap, and its more reliable ap.
Frankly, I "average" 8 stacks on mejais. 84 ap for 1200ish gold. not bad for sure. But deathcap is a much bigger and faster payoff.
I guarantee ill get the 400 gold for nlr before I'll get the 8 stacks for the 84 ap on mejais. Whats more likely in comparison is one side a 1600g 80ap nlr, and the other a 1200g+sorc boots 36ap mejais with 2 stacks.

That ap on mejais I did consider required on lux due to her poor abase damage, and ease at stacking, prior to deathcap. But, now I absolutely skip it, and have a much easier time with her. bee line for deathcap. I snowball much much harder on her, as now my midgame is godlike with high AP, while my early game is same with heavy spamming of long range. And end game I end stronger as I spent midgame farming stronger, and getting more kills.

Soiyeruda

01-17-2011

Quote:
Xyenzi:

Try 4-5 seconds.

At Max CDR:

Lighting Binding: 12 seconds to 7.2 seconds
Prismatic Barrier: 10 seconds to 6 seconds
Lucent Singularity: 11 seconds to 6.6 seconds
Finales Funkeln: 40 seconds to 24 seconds

In terms of most mages, Lux benefits from having CDR due to her longer cooldowns on her normal abilities (which sounds weird, since she should've had lower cooldowns to be on par with them to begin with. =x). Also, being able to Double bind, AoE shield, and deal burst twice as much is always nice.

MBirk

01-17-2011

Quote:
Soiyeruda:
Try 4-5 seconds.

At Max CDR:

Lighting Binding: 12 seconds to 7.2 seconds
Prismatic Barrier: 10 seconds to 6 seconds
Lucent Singularity: 11 seconds to 6.6 seconds
Finales Funkeln: 40 seconds to 24 seconds

In terms of most mages, Lux benefits from having CDR due to her longer cooldowns on her normal abilities (which sounds weird, since she should've had lower cooldowns to be on par with them to begin with. =x). Also, being able to Double bind, AoE shield, and deal burst twice as much is always nice.

poor math.
First of all, no one is claiming no CDR at all.
15% masteries/cdr. +blue elixer. 25%.
25% vs 40%
9s binding vs 7.2 bding.
7.5s barrior vs 6s
8.25s singularity vs 6.6
30s funkeln vs 24.

And % factors are equal across numbers. Annie with a 4s cd on disintegrate can cast that much more. 10s period, even with 40% cdr, lux is casting each of her skills twice. in fact that would occur 2 times with 25% cdr too. But annie with a short cd can cast 3 times with 40% cdr in 10s. So, Lux doesnt somehow benefit more. And Annie doesn't somehow benefit less. (Although high base damage on annies spells does mean she gets more in fact...)
The low base damage on lux's spells would be a sound argument for lux not needing CDR. however, of course they are directly tied to her CC as well, which is why you do want CDR. You need them up asap to defend yourself.