Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

About that Kat...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PercentFour

05-14-2014

Hello. So over the past couple months since I started, I've been exclusively playing Katarina. I feel that I know her very well and I usually do quite well with her. Mind you I'm not 30 yet, working on it though heh. My question is, I see a LOT of hate towards her in the Ranked divisions. No one seems to play with her, and she seems to get shunned by what seems to be the "better" players. Why is this? I know obviously that stuns and cc shut her down hard, but I personally have overcome heavy CC and still was effective in most situations. Why such hate? Is it that the higher ranked people have shutting her down to a science? :/

TehNACHO

05-14-2014

High risk, high reward.

When she wins, she snowballs hard.
When she loses, she can fall behind so quickly that she becomes useless.

I tend to find that "consistency" is a really important factor for many champions in terms of how viable a pick they are, and where many champions may represent either "consistency" or "outright performance" better than the other, consistency becomes a bigger element the higher up you go. Kat is just way too far into the "outright performance" side of the spectrum and too far away from the "consistency" side that she generally receives a bit of flak from other players.

AlethiaArete

05-14-2014

Kat does have a bit of a consistency problem, but on the other hand it is really hard to shut a good Kat down completely. You'll just be getting a ton of assists instead of kills.

Sephïroth

05-14-2014

Yi, Kat, Eve, and other reset champions own the Silver/Bronze Leagues if you're any good as people don't understand the idea of "reset" mechanics and don't know how to react. In gold you have people who understand it and it becomes a lot harder, and once you pass gold it becomes a champion who is weaker overall as 90% of the player pool knows how to handle reset mechanics and not allow them to happen.

Kat's had a hard time in season 4 since they nerfed her base damages down and she basically can either be snuffed out immediately or cannot dish out enough damage to get the instant reset. Since her base damage is so low, if she gets behind she cannot get her resets or even contribute damage to the team. Unlike other champions, she also cannot contribute any CC which means that unless you snowball, as others said, you are just useless.

All that said, there are diamond Kat players, you just have to seriously overcome some deficiencies as well as know when picking Kat would just be a bad idea. Some team comps just do not allow for you to play a champion like her.

XxInTheZonexX

05-19-2014

Despite being a relatively straightforward champion, a lot of people find her difficult to play (me included) because of the playstyle required to succeed with her. Playing Katarina effectively requires you to know the abilities and damage potential of the entire enemy team (which is no easy task) and time your attacks correctly so that you can avoid the enemy's long-range attacks, high damage nukes, and crowd control abilities. Since all three of these things are so common now, it's difficult for your teammates to imagine a Katarina doing well when her Death Lotus is so easily interrupted. And with her melee attack range, squishiness, and abysmal laning phase, a Katarina who falls behind in lane is little more than a free kill for your enemy. If you decide to play Katarina, be sure that you've played against the opposing mid-laner and jungler a couple of times before-hand in a normal game so you know how much trade you can do and how you'd be able to escape ganks.

iDisaster

05-19-2014

Kat is incredibly easy to carry into Gold with. I first picked Katarina all through silver and people tried to counter me but they could never do it. You just have to be patient against teams with a lot of CC.

Seriously the easiest champion to get to Gold with just stick with her she is very rewarding. Also if you are not already...make sure you are smart casting all your abilities

SeCKS Egai

05-19-2014

Quote:
TehNACHO:
High risk, high reward.

When she wins, she snowballs hard.
When she loses, she can fall behind so quickly that she becomes useless.

That tends to sum it up. If your team struggles it can be really hard to recover since that allows the enemy team to save their CC to interrupt the spin. Granted, not all team comps in lower elos will have the CC or fail to use it properly.

PercentFour

05-22-2014

You were all very helpful. Thank you! Yes I've noticed Kat's pros and cons, and the cons tend to be very high against certain comps. Ones with heavy CC and experience. I've mid laned against the more common champs (Nidalee, Zed, Annie?, Heimer, Vlad and Viktor the most) and have learned my timing pretty good, at least i think i have haha. If Kat can carry me to gold, and no farther, that is ok. At least she gets me to that point