@Riot, its time for the faceless mods to stop.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rijda

05-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByWaffle View Post
People who ***** about being banned typically have done something worth getting banned for.
What's your supporting evidence?

Erotic Lulu

05-13-2014

I'd like to add in the fact that there are players from other servers posting here.

Evangele

05-13-2014

Although I dont have as many problems with what threads the mods choose to close or move, I definitely agree it would be nice to have some sort of knowledge as to why, or where it got closed or moved to.

Also for bans I wish they would let people know why, even if it's an email that says you broke summoner code by typing this "excerpt from thread".

Some transparency on who they are would be nice and a little more -consistency- would be nice. Ive seen the worst threads floating around being just.....horrible and then I see seemingly legitimate complaint threads closed for no reason I can discern.

They just swoop in for half hour every couple hours (sometimes couple days) or so an make arbitrary decisions, or at least that's what I feels like

I tend to agree with the general sentiment of this thread.

Bad Precedent

05-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightNooblar View Post
Honestly I'd agree, one spider man thread isn't going to harm anyone. But I'm assuming it was on the heels of a one of those evenings where dozens of threads are made taunting the mods. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. But if we're going to do away with grey area and go black and white, it would belong in off topic, so...

But again, 100% strict follow every rule every time or get banned type moderation isn't only impossible to achieve (both from man power and consistency), but it isn't good for the forums either. Its just annoying to see someone bring up a technically valid (although potentially heavy handed) mod action as an example of corruption. It just seems like they are taking a thread that makes good points about things that should be changed with moderation, and turning it into a gripe fest/witch hunt which will ultimately make the thread lose credibility so we all look like nutters, rather than some people who want reasonable changes, and some people who are just angry at the mods.
I dunno, I've seen plenty of perfectly legitimate posters (Zodai, for instance) get permabanned by such heavy-handed moderation.

PERMA banned mind you. That's not really an acceptable situation to be in.

Maximum Espurr

05-13-2014

Quote:
I never suggested you get banned for posting stuff that isn't league related. That stuff just goes in the section for things that aren't league related.

Also the down vote system is designed to be used for 'bad' posts. Not posts you disagree with. Its moderation, not homogenization. The idea of 'I don't agree with what you said, so it should be hidden from the thread' is a terrible approach to communication.
I find the Idea of banning for off topic content terrible, and yes you did suggest that.

Quote:
Move thread. Ban poster. If the post is going to post things where they don't belong, that is an issue. If the thread isn't where it belongs, that is also an issue. Moving the thread doesn't also teach the lesson that off topic threads belong in off topic. That lesson should be obvious based on the forum description.

SpookyMage

05-13-2014

Everyone knows that secret police are way better than normal police.

BrightNooblar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijda View Post
You sure have a strong opinion of how these mods operate for not being a mod nor having dealt with one yourself.

You sure have a strong opinion for someone with absolutely zero experience.
My not being banned is a valid form of interaction. I junk post now and then. I just don't do it super often. Also the fact that certain junkposters are still around and have been making low quality threads for months tells me the mods are not ultra ban happy. The few times I do see a thread suddenly tell me I don't have permissions to post in it anymore, I've been able to figure out why the mods closed/moved it every single time.

In fact the only mod actions I've really disagreed with are the fact that they treat Off Topic like a garbage can. They move threads there then close them, or just move threads that clearly have no value and should be closed. Which is an issue because it teaches that Off Topic should be ignored, because posting there is like posting to the garbage can, and it actually tells the people that properly post there that their posts are worthless and would be better if they were made on GD when mods didn't notice. And then when they move threads that clearly belong in one non-GD sub-forum, to the wrong non-GD sub-forum. Most common is that threads that belong in player behavior initiative get moved to Ban inquiries. Things like "I don't think the tribunal works, it's been in recess too long" is not a ban inquiry, it doesn't belong in ban inquires. Its a thread about the tribunal, which is a player behavior initiative, so it belongs in player behavior initiatives.

But then, those are fairly minor issues. So while I can readily accept, and even say without a prompt, that the mods DO make mistakes, I find it much much more believable that these cases where people say they were forum banned for no reason, are exactly like the cases where people are tribunal banned 'for no reason'. As in, there is a reason, they know what it is, they just don't agree with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Espurr View Post
I find the Idea of banning for off topic content terrible, and yes you did suggest that.
Oh that one. Again, as I stated elsewhere in the thread, I'm operating off the assumption your friend who got banned for spiderman, was a repeat junk poster, or was doing it during one of the stints where people make threads just to taunt the mods.

I'd assumed you thought I said that in my four point outline for a better forum. I wasn't talking about perma-banning off topic posters as a first response. I save that for people who didn't get the hint after a 24 hour time out, which wouldn't even happen until after they did it multiple times. And on top of that this would be after we'd have public moderation, so they'd know what they were doing is against the rules.

Zaldrohiir

05-13-2014

Quote:
Also the down vote system is designed to be used for 'bad' posts. Not posts you disagree with. Its moderation, not homogenization. The idea of 'I don't agree with what you said, so it should be hidden from the thread' is a terrible approach to communication.
The voting system as a self-moderation method is very very naive. It's obvious it serves mostly as a karma system. If threads are out of place or simply unwanted on the forum altogether, we should be able to flag the thread. Then a mod can swoop by (if a certain flagging threshold is reached) to see what is going on and act accordingly.

If the poster of the thread is banned for the creation, he/she is notified and shown a link to the thread which resulted in the ban.

It's not hard to properly police the forums. Especially if you're an anonymous mod and not an active participant on these forums. Communicate what you do or people will not learn or claim to be unable to change their ways.

Sir Puffy

05-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erotic Lulu View Post
I'd like to add in the fact that there are players from other servers posting here.
Can confirm, I'm from EUW.

Happy Yuno

05-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByWaffle View Post
People who ***** about being banned typically have done something worth getting banned for.
that may be true but it doesnt change the fact that the moderation on these forums are horrible