@Riot, its time for the faceless mods to stop.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zastie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

05-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Precedent View Post
Its funny you say that, because banning my main account had literally zero impact on my posting on the forums. I'm actually not totally against the idea of tying forum bans to in-game bans, despite being the first recipient on the wrong end of such a thing. However it MUST be tied to more transparent moderation, or else it just heightens the abuse of power that mods here have been known to do.
No impact? Sure looks to me like they really got under your skin.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bad Precedent

Member

05-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zastie View Post
No impact? Sure looks to me like they really got under your skin.
You're right, I'm really raging hard over here.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BrightNooblar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

05-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijda View Post
It was a spiderman thread and therefore on topic, idiot.

The mods are nazis that answer to no one and give no reason for their knee-jerk bans. Pure and simple.
Was it in the off topic forum section? Because that is where it would belong. If they banned someone for making it in OT you've got a point. If it was in GD, you don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakos View Post
If every off topic GD thread was banned, no one would go to GD anymore. Is there anything wrong with having fun on a thread for a game where your primary goal is to have fun?
No. The problem is when that is EVERY SINGLE THREAD. When 95% of the content is reposts and off topic fun threads, the forum is more or less useless for communication.

There is a case to be made for 'fun threads' but the problem is that 'fun threads' is used as a cover for the 5% of the threads that are decent fun threads, AND the 50% of the threads that are just junk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightNooblar View Post

That would be good too. But its like the 5th most important change that needs to happen. Tying in game penalties to forum activity is much more important.
1) Raise lvl requirement to post outside new player forum to 20 (No more fast replaced smurfs)

2) Raise cooldown on new threads to 30 minutes (No more spam junk threads [pkreak, for example], and I've never seen two good threads by one person in under an hour anyways). This also means you can make your 'fun threads', but if you make a 'stupid' fun thread, that's your chance for 30 minutes.

3) Enforce usage of subforums, and do it properly. Garbage threads get trashed, not moved to off topic. Balance QQ gets moved to champion feedback, etc. The other subforums will populate with posters/readers based on the influx on new threads. If people repost threads after they get moved, put a 24 our hold on their ability to make new threads. If they keep going make it a week.

4) Once that ground work is set, you've got enough of a frame work that moderation CAN be effective. Without these basic changes, moderation can't be effective because its too easy to just level a smurf and come screw around. Or mass screw around when a mod isn't active. Step one of new moderation would be to make it public. Mods would start posting what they changed and why. This isn't so much for the people who broke the rule, but for the benifiet of everyone else, so everyone else realizes what is and isn't acceptable. A huge portion of the current problem is that invisible moderation makes it so people just assume posting porn, spamming, and other random junk is acceptable because they see it so often, and they never see a direct action taken against it. Seeing that rules are enforced is a strong step towards not needing to enforce the rules as often.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rijda

Senior Member

05-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightNooblar View Post
Was it in the off topic forum section? Because that is where it would belong. If they banned someone for making it in OT you've got a point. If it was in GD, you don't.
The mods are capable of moving threads. They chose, instead, to ban someone posting in the thread instead of the person who made it, and also instead of moving the thread.

Stick your head back in the sand. We're using logic here, a completely alien concept to you.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BrightNooblar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

05-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijda View Post
The mods are capable of moving threads. They chose, instead, to ban someone posting in the thread instead of the person who made it, and also instead of moving the thread.

Stick your head back in the sand. We're using logic here, an unknown concept to you.
Move thread. Ban poster. If the post is going to post things where they don't belong, that is an issue. If the thread isn't where it belongs, that is also an issue. Moving the thread doesn't also teach the lesson that off topic threads belong in off topic. That lesson should be obvious based on the forum description.

Also I really doubt that this person was permabanned from the forums for a single thread. I'm guessing they were a repeat case and the mods got tired of it.

Also the only consistent logic I can find here is "We didn't do anything wrong, the mods are corrupt" and "We don't need to follow the rules, we can do what we want". If I say 'You broke the rules' you respond 'The rules don't matter, we were having fun' If I say 'The rules are the rules, you need to follow them if you want to use the 1st party site' you respond 'it doesn't even matter the mods are corrupt'. You're not using logic here and you know it. You've established a stance and are rejecting any ideas that disagree with it without opening a real discussion. Case in point, you try to get posts that don't agree with your stance removed.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bad Precedent

Member

05-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightNooblar View Post
-snip-
Not sure why this is being downvoted. I've lobbied for many of the same changes (higher minimum level requirements and obviously transparent moderation).

I kinda disagree about the relative worth of spiderman threads, but seems like small beans to me. Also, I think that the other subforums are graveyards that should probably stay that way.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rijda

Senior Member

05-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightNooblar View Post
Move thread. Ban poster. If the post is going to post things where they don't belong, that is an issue. If the thread isn't where it belongs, that is also an issue. Moving the thread doesn't also teach the lesson that off topic threads belong in off topic. That lesson should be obvious based on the forum description.

Also I really doubt that this person was permabanned from the forums for a single thread. I'm guessing they were a repeat case and the mods got tired of it.
You sure have a strong opinion of how these mods operate for not being a mod nor having dealt with one yourself.

You sure have a strong opinion for someone with absolutely zero experience.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Maximum Espurr

Senior Member

05-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Precedent View Post
Not sure why this is being downvoted. I've lobbied for many of the same changes (higher minimum level requirements and obviously transparent moderation).

I kinda disagree about the relative worth of spiderman threads, but seems like small beans to me. Also, I think that the other subforums are graveyards that should probably stay that way.
I downvoted because I'm against someone getting banned for posting something non league related.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BrightNooblar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

05-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Precedent View Post
I kinda disagree about the relative worth of spiderman threads, but seems like small beans to me. Also, I think that the other subforums are graveyards that should probably stay that way.
Honestly I'd agree, one spider man thread isn't going to harm anyone. But I'm assuming it was on the heels of a one of those evenings where dozens of threads are made taunting the mods. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. But if we're going to do away with grey area and go black and white, it would belong in off topic, so...

But again, 100% strict follow every rule every time or get banned type moderation isn't only impossible to achieve (both from man power and consistency), but it isn't good for the forums either. Its just annoying to see someone bring up a technically valid (although potentially heavy handed) mod action as an example of corruption. It just seems like they are taking a thread that makes good points about things that should be changed with moderation, and turning it into a gripe fest/witch hunt which will ultimately make the thread lose credibility so we all look like nutters, rather than some people who want reasonable changes, and some people who are just angry at the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Espurr View Post
I downvoted because I'm against someone getting banned for posting something non league related.
I never suggested you get banned for posting stuff that isn't league related. That stuff just goes in the section for things that aren't league related.

Also the down vote system is designed to be used for 'bad' posts. Not posts you disagree with. Its moderation, not homogenization. The idea of 'I don't agree with what you said, so it should be hidden from the thread' is a terrible approach to communication.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DeathByWaffle

Senior Member

05-13-2014

People who ***** about being banned typically have done something worth getting banned for.