What new laptop should I buy? 1300$ limit.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

woodpunch

05-12-2014

What new laptop should I buy? I am looking more so for a "gaming" laptop because I would like to be able to play many different games on a fairly high setting. Thanks for any advice.

DaCush

05-12-2014

You can build a beast of a desktop with that and you will never have problems with FPS issues or anything again. Or you could buy a craptop since you cant build one of those as easily and regret your mistake later when you thought being mobile was more important than the specs.
Hit me up if you want info on building a desktop and I can get you the best parts for your money.

Kog73

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCush View Post
You can build a beast of a desktop with that and you will never have problems with FPS issues or anything again. Or you could buy a craptop since you cant build one of those as easily and regret your mistake later when you thought being mobile was more important than the specs.
Hit me up if you want info on building a desktop and I can get you the best parts for your money.
Hardly see the problem with a gaming laptop...I don't have the space for a desktop at home in my room, and I travel from uni, home and different countries fairly often. A laptop is simply the way to go for me!

OP, my current laptop is a Alienware m17r5 from last year, with the 16gb RAM and gtx 770m. It handles all games brilliant so far. I fear its outside your budget however. I'm not sure of prices in USA, as I feel Alienware and razor products are cheaper in the USA compared to here (the UK)

Sorry to be of not much use, but if you do do see one of those lying around near your price budget, I can assure you it is quite a beast of a machine.

AkaIi or AFK

05-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kog73 View Post
Hardly see the problem with a gaming laptop...I don't have the space for a desktop at home in my room, and I travel from uni, home and different countries fairly often. A laptop is simply the way to go for me!

OP, my current laptop is a Alienware m17r5 from last year, with the 16gb RAM and gtx 770m. It handles all games brilliant so far. I fear its outside your budget however. I'm not sure of prices in USA, as I feel Alienware and razor products are cheaper in the USA compared to here (the UK)

Sorry to be of not much use, but if you do do see one of those lying around near your price budget, I can assure you it is quite a beast of a machine.
The issues with Laptop is Cost vs Performance. You end up paying more, for less with a Laptop so you can enjoy the convenience of taking your computer on the go.

Desktops are just the better route to take, as you get a lot for less. $1300 buys a really good Desktop, but buys a pretty meh laptop.

A Retarded Clown

05-12-2014

Love it when people simply fail to understand that for some mobility is necessary. And far more convenient than a desktop for someone who might have to move around a fair bit.

Yes but for $1300 you can find a laptop good enough to run extremely good settings.

I was lucky and found a gaming laptop tha can rn the witcher 2 on medium (which is a feat in itself) for $340. Find me a desktop that can do that for the same price.

OP, try using craigslist and if you are savvy you can get some pretty amazing deals. Just make sure you have a gun if you are going to sketchy areas.

Kog73

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightMeIRLufgt View Post
The issues with Laptop is Cost vs Performance. You end up paying more, for less with a Laptop so you can enjoy the convenience of taking your computer on the go.

Desktops are just the better route to take, as you get a lot for less. $1300 buys a really good Desktop, but buys a pretty meh laptop.
I argue that it is not `more for less` if one of the main deciding reasons of purchase is portability. Such as my case. I may be paying more for the specs on this thing, but no amount of money in the world will make a desktop fit on a; small cluttered desk, in my bag to take to lectures, in hand luggage. Or make said desktop weigh nothing while it's being transported around all the time.

Sometimes you have to pay more for convenience, work out if it's worth the extra, and go for it if it is.

AkaIi or AFK

05-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kog73 View Post
I argue that it is not `more for less` if one of the main deciding reasons of purchase is portability. Such as my case. I may be paying more for the specs on this thing, but no amount of money in the world will make a desktop fit on a; small cluttered desk, in my bag to take to lectures, in hand luggage. Or make said desktop weigh nothing while it's being transported around all the time.

Sometimes you have to pay more for convenience, work out if it's worth the extra, and go for it if it is.
It is more for less, performance wise, which is what i'm arguing. You said you didn't see the problem with gaming laptops, and I gave you the reason why most gamers prefer a desktop over a laptop.

I'm not against laptops. I acknowledge that they do work better for some people, that however does not change the fact that when it comes to cost vs performance (convenience isn't a part of performance) you end up paying more for a laptop that'll run about as well as a desktop that was built for the half of what you spent.

How much you personally value convenience doesn't change that. If you're buying something for convenience, then your paying for convenience.

Ellphi

05-12-2014

What type of games are you gunna play?
If you're looking into heavy gaming, don't be a dirty peasant and build a desktop PC, you'll get infinitely more bang for your buck.

Otherwise, I've had good experiences with high end ASUS laptops. They perform well and don't charge ridiculous brand premiums like HP.

Jax Carries U

qwerty2

05-12-2014

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GE60-Apach...productDetails

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Computer-G...rds=msi+laptop

The 1st or 2nd will do for League(any computer within last 3 years can run League), B4 at 30 fps on high, or Titanfall at high with 40 fps probably. The only difference between 1st and 2nd is video card, which isn't that big of a difference, the 840 vs. the 850, and the weight, which is a diff. of 5 pounds. The 1st one is 5 pounds, 2nd one is 10.

Or you could get this Asus laptop which is pretty good too.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&tag=pcgaho-20

Too bad you can't build a desktop, better value.