Want to solve top lane problems : Buff Garen

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lokkenload1

05-12-2014

I agree that darius isnt very good for any team. He has the ability to take any kill he sees and then can do nothing with them 20 minutes later

mtrx032

05-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Whist View Post
As a Garen player, I disagree with buffing. He's amazing and aside from champions like Ryze and Trundle I feel I hardly struggle against any other laner.

His wave clear is just so good he can just camp at tower when behind and still clear the wave and get most of the CS despite the tower. Slowly work to lower the enemy laner's HP until it's about half when he can charge in, ignite spin and ult for the kill.

(I am posting this as my opinion as a Garen player, not as Riot's opinion on what to do with Garen)
First of all, I respect and appreciate your efforts as a Rioter to make LoL the best game it can be.

But you're posting as a Garen player, right? As a silver IV Garen player?

Well, you don't know what you're talking about. Garen's scaling is horrid and aside from a handful of counter picks there is literally no reason to ever pick him in top lane. That's great that you have had some good games with him down there in carboard. But that means nothing.

Consider this: Garen is used mostly as a counterpick in higher tier play, which skews his win rate up (making him appear stronger than he is). And yet he still has a freaking 47% win rate in diamond+.

He's not "amazing". He's ****ing terrible.

SOyProasfasdfdsa

05-12-2014

bump

SOyProasfasdfdsa

05-13-2014

bamp

KSHarrison

05-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrx032 View Post
First of all, I respect and appreciate your efforts as a Rioter to make LoL the best game it can be.

But you're posting as a Garen player, right? As a silver IV Garen player?

Well, you don't know what you're talking about. Garen's scaling is horrid and aside from a handful of counter picks there is literally no reason to ever pick him in top lane. That's great that you have had some good games with him down there in carboard. But that means nothing.

Consider this: Garen is used mostly as a counterpick in higher tier play, which skews his win rate up (making him appear stronger than he is). And yet he still has a freaking 47% win rate in diamond+.

He's not "amazing". He's ****ing terrible.
Or the people you're examining at higher elo only play him as a joke champ when they feel like trolling, because no one takes him seriously, so no one knows how to play him.

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/20204830

Here's a D1 who has no trouble playing Garen and has a 61% win rate over 44 games.

Garen has clear weaknesses but also a lot of strengths. If you take away his weaknesses with buffs, he will become extremely powerful.

Voidizarre

Recruiter

05-13-2014

Only the ult needs fixing. Not like it's true damage.

noomph

05-13-2014

Quote:
As a Garen player, I disagree with buffing. He's amazing and aside from champions like Ryze and Trundle I feel I hardly struggle against any other laner.

His wave clear is just so good he can just camp at tower when behind and still clear the wave and get most of the CS despite the tower. Slowly work to lower the enemy laner's HP until it's about half when he can charge in, ignite spin and ult for the kill.

(I am posting this as my opinion as a Garen player, not as Riot's opinion on what to do with Garen)

Sorry I can not speak to any design decisions. I'm not involved in those.
Makes up for having no passive, or at least, Non existent compared to Dr Mundo's infinitely better version.

KSHarrison

05-13-2014

[QUOTE=noomph;47078982]Makes up for having no passive, or at least, Non existent compared to Dr Mundo's infinitely better version.[/QUOTE

Why should everyone's abilities be directly comparable? Since when is it inappropriate for champions to have different strengths and weaknesses?

For example, yes Mundo has better regen on his passive. That's his strength. A compensating weakness is that he uses health for his abilities. Garen's strength is that he has a much stronger early game compared to Mundo. No one complains about that disparity though, because people know Mundo has his own strengths to make up for it.

It's not fair to compare single abilities in a vacuum when each champion is balanced according to a different ability topography.

SOyProasfasdfdsa

05-13-2014

his ult has 160 sec cooldown at level 1, is a joke

That is his main problem.

At least let me crush my lane, if i do not have a late game.

octavian1127

05-13-2014

Quote:
You forgot Teemo, the bane of every Garen's existance.