Want to solve top lane problems : Buff Garen

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hiczi

05-12-2014

Garen is already strong and doesn't need any more buffs.

H3lla Moneys

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Whist View Post
As a Garen player, I disagree with buffing. He's amazing and aside from champions like Ryze and Trundle I feel I hardly struggle against any other laner.

His wave clear is just so good he can just camp at tower when behind and still clear the wave and get most of the CS despite the tower. Slowly work to lower the enemy laner's HP until it's about half when he can charge in, ignite spin and ult for the kill.

Sorry I can not speak to any design decisions. I'm not involved in those.
garen is simply not a viable pick at high levels of play because of his binary interactions in lane. Have you considered that your personal feelings regarding is balance are linked to the fact that you're low silver elo?

Raiden27d

05-12-2014

Quote:
As a Garen player, I disagree with buffing. He's amazing and aside from champions like Ryze and Trundle I feel I hardly struggle against any other laner.

His wave clear is just so good he can just camp at tower when behind and still clear the wave and get most of the CS despite the tower. Slowly work to lower the enemy laner's HP until it's about half when he can charge in, ignite spin and ult for the kill.

My favorite is holing them up on their own turret then flash Q and ult them while they're silenced. So satisfying especially with the new rework graphics.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ifeelit.jpg (6.6 KB, 51 views)

MajorLuck

05-12-2014

Quote:

I wish I could agree with you, Garen heavily relies on snowballing to be relevant mid-late game

BetaRayBill

05-12-2014

Quote:

The one buff I want to see is that his E's interaction with crit is reworked so it is not a noob trap.

It says it can critical strike, BUT
- only the "ad ratio" damage criticals - not the entire damage
- the crit multiplier is 150%, not 200%. This is especially huge, it means crit is really not a good stat on him.

This hidden knowledge is something I didn't know for a long time, and would not have known unless I looked it up. I used to sometimes build youmu's on garen for crit [especially before black cleaver existed - that's how long I have been playing him] but will never do so again due to these changes. Either expand the tooltip or make it work straightforwardly [200% definitely, and perhaps crit on entire damage] - a Garen who builds crit is not going to be that much threatening, he has been power creeped by most other bruiser tops anyway.

dwarfykinz

05-12-2014

Quote:

his late game sucks you biased try hard buff it

SOyProasfasdfdsa

05-12-2014

we need more reds, time to improve Garen a bit.

Raiden27d

05-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaRayBill View Post
The one buff I want to see is that his E's interaction with crit is reworked so it is not a noob trap.

- the crit multiplier is 150%, not 200%. This is especially huge, it means crit is really not a good stat on him.

This hidden knowledge is something I didn't know for a long time, and would not have known unless I looked it up. I used to sometimes build youmu's on garen for crit [especially before black cleaver existed - that's how long I have been playing him] but will never do so again due to these changes. Either expand the tooltip or make it work straightforwardly [200% definitely, and perhaps crit on entire damage] - a Garen who builds crit is not going to be that much threatening, he has been power creeped by most other bruiser tops anyway.
If I'm doing really well I will buy IE and that increases crit damage a bit, no? It would be nice to get the full benefit however but I can tell they really want to keep the e toned down.

MajorLuck

05-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaRayBill View Post

Try Statikk shiv after brutalizer, your Q will deal like 1/3 of carry health if it crits

SOyProasfasdfdsa

05-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashamaru Shigo View Post
If I'm doing really well I will buy IE and that increases crit damage a bit, no? It would be nice to get the full benefit however but I can tell they really want to keep the e toned down.

making him more crit oriented is a good buff

Not too powerful, and working as intended, rising the damage to 200% is a nice buff.