Poppy tips?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Retalus

01-16-2011

Poppy newb here but I'm in lub. It's so satisfying when even I am caught off guard by how much burst she puts out. First blood!!

I'm having fun with AP builds. Need some help!

I have been going

Mana Crystal or Boots first
Sheen
Lucky Pick > Deathfire

But I have run into the poppy farming problem. People recommended I get Philosopher's Stones and sell them later. This seemed attractive, is it worth it?

If I use my ult on someone, does the bonus damage apply to the Deathfire Grasp missile? I assume if so it would be X% of the 30% DFG damage, not additive right?

When/what do you buy for survivability on her? I end up relying on my ult to save me while I dive the mage/carry. Still learning who to target when, and when they have a banshee viel up (gaaaaaaaaah).

Any build advice would be welcome!

Shizuhara

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2011

Her ult amplifies DFG and ignite, getting one philo stone early on is very helpful, but don't bother stacking them unless the enemy team plans on dragging out the game for several days.

If you're using mp/5 seals, one philo stone is really all you need.

You can get survival right after DFG/Sheen. Frozen heart and Banshee's are both great items on her, I occasional get FoN instead for the regen/MS, but I don't know if that's a tryhard viable item pick.

Orou

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2011

i get

sheen
sorc
dfg
void staff
lich bane
then either cap or bveil or GA

Eagle

01-16-2011

Philosopher Stone build is by far the best build I have run across. It's dirt cheap, it pays for itself by mid-game and the regen is pretty hilarious early game. It also helps Poppy deal with harassment since she's one of the ****tiest laners in the game.

I don't really play AP poppy but the people I've seen always rush Lich Bane before DFG. It also works when you proc W, which gives you a little bit more burst than DFG's 1 min cd. I don't believe DFG stacks with her ult.

If their tank has banshee's, pop it with Q then ult them.

For survivability I usually pick up a Banshee's.

Wise Squirrel

01-16-2011

Farmign is easy, it invovles last hitting, poppy has a fairly decent autoattack animation and good damage to time last hits, plus if they have a little hp left or if they have more than an autoattack of hp you can use Q.

She lacks AoE farming, but she can last hit every minion in a wave with ease. Whenever your enemies are dead (Thanks to your awesome poppy skills) you can last hit comfortably.

Swampf0x

01-16-2011

I've just recently picked up Poppy and I've been having a blast.

I build her AD though, rushing a Trinity Force first.

I have Movement speed Quints, which I find VERY helpful, especially on Poppy. On your first bluepill, you can pick up a Sheen and not have to worry about boots for now. I generally focus on short little encounters during the laning phase (mostly to conserve mana and because she can deal most of her damage in a few seconds early on), putting priority on farming, since she isn't the best farmer.

Towards mid game you can do a lot of roaming. Poppy is a great ganker and tower diver, so you can literally make up for the lost Exp and gold by roaming and picking players off. Ganking alongside your Jungler is a plus, almost ensured kills at that point.

After Trinity I try and get some AD, generally by picking up a BF sword to turn into a Bloodthirster later, and I pick up Starks as well.

I'm still practicing with her, so far I've just been playing by my own rules and its been pretty good I must say.

JunKx

01-16-2011

CDR is absolutely super OP on poppy, whether you go AD or AP you need to have at least 20-25% cdr. its dirt cheap to build and super effective

on TT AP is by far superior, i get dorans ring, sheen, cdr boots, codex/DFG, void staff, GA
on SR AD may have a slight advantage but either build is still very effective, i get dorans ring, sheen, cdr boots, brutalizer, phage/trinity, void staff, survivability like GA or banshees

her ult boosts damage from all sources, DFG, ignite, any other item that deals damage by an active/passive etc. AD poppy is better at taking out a squishy caster/nuker/dpser where as AP poppy is better taking out a tanky dpser like a Jax (can 1 combo a jax easily with 3 items alone). with CDR AP poppy is by no means useless after ulting, and AD poppy will hit hard but your attack speed will be pathetic - either way you'll be a strong poppy if you can land your stun.

Mattera

01-16-2011

you have to never retreat

Neoxon

01-16-2011

Rush trinity force level ur q skill first and e than w ... gg

Retalus

01-16-2011

I have been trying some spell vamp on her later, after DFG/sheen/some hp. The burst of healing form 100s of magic damage worth it?

Late game, would Gunblade be good?