when do i buy greater runes?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stress Free Team

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2011

currently level 16, wondering if i should just buy runes now or save my points until i have access to the better ones

thank you

iiNsanity

01-16-2011

lvl 20

sammich kek

01-16-2011

I wouldn't recommend wasting IP on tier 1 or tier 2 anything, save for tier 3... they can be expensive.

Admiralkiller

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2011

Save for tier 3.

Fizz Khalifa

01-16-2011

runes r 4 noobs

Liquidone

01-16-2011

Buy T1 runes than start buying T3 at 20, don't waste IP on T2,

Pencildragon

01-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidone View Post
Buy T1 runes than start buying T3 at 20, don't waste IP on T2,
This is the only correct Answer. T1 runes have 50% of the power of T3 for 10% of the cost, there is no reason to not get them.

r691175002

01-16-2011

I personally bought all tiers of runes. TBH Tier one runes are so cheap (what? like 40 ip?) that you can get an entire set for the price of a single greater rune.

Tier two runes are a little more expensive but I got myself a cheapish set at level 14 or so just to stay competitive.

As you are in the level 16-19 range you will be playing games that have people in the 20-30 range.

Showing up rune-less to a game where half the people start with 100 more health and 15% extra damage can be a problem.

I play more rune dependant heroes though. Just a cheap set of mp5 runes can make most heroes drastically more effective in lane.

If you are going to spend 30-50 games before level 20, you might as well not get stomped doing it.

Halkure

01-16-2011

Wait for T3. Your lower tier runes will just rot in your inventory after T3 or be mutated into runes you probably don't need. And then rot.

They are pretty expensive too. A set of dodge or cooldown runes is 7380 (@820ea). Average sets are 3690 (@410ea).

I take this back. PencilDragon makes a much better point. It's actually 56% of the power for 13% of the cost, but definitely worth it for one or two basic pages. I'd try to get some universal things like mana/5 glyphs, flat armor seals, magic/armor pen or attack speed marks and then specialize at T3, filling in whatever blanks with your T1 in the meantime. (There will be a lot of meantime.)

PolarBearJumper

01-16-2011

Don't buy runes until you can get Tier 3