Lanewick - Why does he not exist?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Drippy Sink

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-05-2011

Sure, Warwick is a great jungler, but why is Lanewick not considered viable? His harrass is short-ranged, but it's more potent than Vlad's Q and functions similarly.

I play Warwick, a lot. I play him in the jungle. I'm decent~good with him.

I'm just tossing this Warwick question out there for discussion.

DrDragun

01-05-2011

Because

1) every team should have a jungler in the game's current state
2) if you are laning then someone else is jungling
3) no one is higher priority to jungle over ww

The Drippy Sink

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-05-2011

But there are better junglers that make for stronger gankers.

Warwick's one of the safest, but as a frequent jungler, I already know he's neither the fastest nor the best ganker, even post-level-6.

RoflTroll

01-05-2011

He can't harass, anyone with a brain can easily run away from his Q's range. At most you're going to Q minions to heal yourself, but most WW build won't have enough MP regen to let you stay in lane forever with Q.

He can't defend, enemies will just potshot your tower to death and you can't do anything about it.

He just does so much better in jungle there's little reasons to put him in lane.

A better example on to lane or to jungle champ would've been Malphite (Q spam in lane is devastating, but he can also jungle quite well)

Anytime you see lanewick winning, it's either he's got good support (like Soraka giving him constant mana) or the enemy's really weak, not because ww in lane is good.

The Drippy Sink

01-05-2011

RoflTroll, that's much more of an answer I was looking for.

I just want to throw this out there:

I tried a Lanewick build, once. In a practice game. I was laning against an Urgot and a Jax. I don't remember who my laning partner was, unfortunately, all I remember is they kept having to go "b". I want to say it was a Gragas, but I'm not sure.

I built Warwick 0/19/11 that game, making sure to take the Armor, MR, and %-mana-based regen and +60 HP talents in defense. I took the 5Mp5 talent in Utility and the XP bonus talent. I'm sorry I can't remember the talent names right now, but it's unimportant.

I used 9 MPen Marks, 9 Mp5/lvl Seals, 9 Flat CDR Glyphs, and Flat HP Quints.

Started with a Doran's Ring and a Mana Pot.

Even though I was getting jumped on by Jax and harrassed by Urgot whenever my teammate went back to base, I still managed to out-heal/regen the harrass they dropped on me and kept the creep waves towards the middle of the lane, but a little closer to my tower. They didn't kill me, even when I got Exhausted and double-teamed.

I'm not saying this is the best example in the world, but everyone in this game was level 30.

I've also been forced to hold a lane as Warwick vs a Jax and Ezreal combo because two of my teammates quit and made the game a 3 v 5, in which I didn't die and held my lane by myself. No, I couldn't effectively harrass them, but I didn't die to them, either, by playing smart and yes, burning my Q on minions to both last-hit and self-heal when necessary.

I know this doesn't justify sticking Warwick in a lane. I'm not trying to push that. I just want to know this:

Is it possible that Warwick has more laning capability than people credit him?

SirCumference

01-05-2011

If your partner had a better lane partner he wouldn't have had to go back so much. Also the champs you were playing against aren't even close to the best harrass laning combos, even so I think a competent xin + jax should be able to kill you as WW easily if your lanemate was missing.

Shatterlight

01-05-2011

I believe Warwick CAN lane, but as has been said, it just isn't his most optimal way of playing. He can lane in the same way Tristana can go AP - she becomes a decent nuker, but any mage can do it better.

Maybe that example isn't quite right, or I am misinformed, but thats just my view of it.

Cenerae

01-05-2011

Warwick has the tools to stay in the lane, but he's still easily harrassed (leading you to spamming Q to heal up, which results in you eventually running OOM and being forced out sooner or later) and can't apply any pressure to the opponents.

It's the same problem Udyr has. With turtle stance he can soak up punishment and self-heal but he's so easy to harrass you'll run him OOM quickly and then he'll be useless.

Considering how good Warwick is in the jungle, and how relatively bad he is in the lane, why would you -want- to lane with him? Most of the jungler champs are at least passable in the lane, so if it comes down to 2 strong junglers trying to decide who gets to jungle...put the least capable laner in there. Chances are, that'll be Warwick.

TL;DR - Warwick has nothing going for him in a lane except the ability to heal up. Like Tryndamere, without the gap closing spin and the snare. And Tryndamere is a weak laner. :-/

The Drippy Sink

01-05-2011

SirCumference:
So, the fact that Urgot always decided to Acid Hunter Gragas instead of me was my fault, because I was Warwick?

I guess I can see how the knowledge that Warwick's Q heals more than Gragas' passive could influence that decision. Perhaps that is an accurate analysis of the scenario. Obviously, someone else with ranged capability would have been better able to counter-harrass and perhaps force Urgot to "B", instead.

I see what you're saying.

The Drippy Sink

01-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenerae View Post
Warwick has the tools to stay in the lane, but he's still easily harrassed (leading you to spamming Q to heal up, which results in you eventually running OOM and being forced out sooner or later) and can't apply any pressure to the opponents.

It's the same problem Udyr has. With turtle stance he can soak up punishment and self-heal but he's so easy to harrass you'll run him OOM quickly and then he'll be useless.

Considering how good Warwick is in the jungle, and how relatively bad he is in the lane, why would you -want- to lane with him? Most of the jungler champs are at least passable in the lane, so if it comes down to 2 strong junglers trying to decide who gets to jungle...put the least capable laner in there. Chances are, that'll be Warwick.

TL;DR - Warwick has nothing going for him in a lane except the ability to heal up. Like Tryndamere, without the gap closing spin and the snare. And Tryndamere is a weak laner. :-/
I'm not really a big fan of Tryndamere, honestly. From the times I've played with him, he seems to be a pretty... unreliable laner AND jungler. I could never really get into the groove with him, sadly.

EDIT: In regards as to why I might want to play Warwick in a lane, it's not so much that I want to, as much as I want to be reminded and better understand why I shouldn't.

And, ehh, sometimes it's interesting to see a typical jungler pop up in a laning duo and do well. I've been toying with the idea of trying Warwick in a lane, but I doubt I'd ever do it in a non-practice match. I'd probably get reported for trolling if I tried something that varies from the norm, like that.