Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

HOW TO JOIN RPS (and not get yelled at)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Silverling

05-07-2014

Recently I have noticed an influx of new RPers sneaking onto the boards at varying levels of experience. While I am not opposed to new people popping in, I have noticed that some of these newbies are having difficulty understanding some of the courtesy we have developed around here.... And so, I have taken the time to explain how to happily slide into the current available RPs without causing any more drama than what needs to be.

So, without further adieu...

WHAT SPECIFIC TERMS YOU NEED TO RECOGNIZE

Closed RP- These RPs are specifically INVITE ONLY. If you wish to join these RPs, you need to contact the original poster and ask them on ways you can be able to join. These RPs will be the hardest ones to get into as the OP likely made the thread for friends only.

Semi-Open RP- These RPs are similar to closed RPs, only they are much more lenient as to who can join. These generally start with a sign up period before the actual RP takes place, however it is still possible to join them after the sign up period has ended. CONTACT THE ORIGINAL POSTER and ask them permission whether you can join or not.

Open RP- These threads are open for anyone to join, and they are generally a come and go sort of deal. In the case of story RPs that are open, it is polite to ((ask in OOC)) for either a summary or whether its a good time for a new person to come in.

Very Open RP- This title is specific to places like The Displaced Timeline, and That OTHER Place. This is meant to signify that anyone and everyone can use the thread for their own RPing purposes, and generally form mini closed RPs within the sandbox-type RP thread. This is meant to be a convenience to those who want to RP minor events, but don't wish to create a thread for it.

Ask ____- These are Ask threads, 99% of them are run by the Champion RPers. These threads are come and go, but are generally RPed in the form of letters. One is welcome to RP with the champion, but easing into play with a note or two doesn't hurt as well. Edit: ThePlague1396 noted that: "Some Champions have rules about visitors, they don't exactly like them, and they prefer to run their stuff like a column with just letters, only RPing there under special circumstances. Also, because I have no idea if it is covered, most Ask threads are Instanced too, and it is normally up to the Champion whether or not to mix them." So please, keep this in mind and be sure to ask the Champ whether you can join in some of their RP. Editx2: Ask the Widow created a very informative thread (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=4889765) regarding conduct in Ask threads. Please take the time to read it before asking away.

OOC Thread: These threads are specifically made for Out Of Character(OOC) interactions, discussion, and conversation and are meant to keep irrelevant posts out of the main thread. Most story RPs have them, and these threads are the best place to go to contact the creator of the RP, otherwise you may find them in the main OOC thread or by making a post in the RP. OOC we ithin an RP is genetally marked ((by double parentheses)).

BEFORE TRYING TO JOIN AN RP

You need to:

1. Read the first post. This is probably one of the most important things you need to know about joining RPs.... And since people supposedly remember information better after seeing it at least seven times, I am going to state it that many times. So.... Be sure you...
Read the first post

Read the first post

Read the first post

Read the first post

Read the first post

READ THE FIRST DANG POST

Have I made myself clear enough here? I'm not sure if I have... So as a reminder... READ THE FIRST POST OF ANY RP THREAD YOU WANT TO JOIN!!!!

The first post explains what the purpose of the thread is for, what the story of the RP is, how to join, what the status of the thread is, etc.. If you choose NOT to read the first post and try to RP in a thread anyways, there is going to be a VERY HIGH CHANCE you will be met with negativity, unless its a thread like the Break Room or Grand Atrium. But either way, you want to read the first post before posting AT ALL.

On a sub note, for story based RPs it helps to read the most recent five pages as well.

2. When it comes to more story based RPs... ASK PERMISSION before joining. This one is also a very important one, and so I am going to include some lovely pictures to get my point across.

See, imagine an RP being like a party of sorts, certain people are invited, but others are allowed to join as well, think of asking before posting as a scenario like this:

As opposed to this:

Do you see the difference here? Do you see how the first guy trying to get in was polite? Did you see that he left it open for the party thrower to say "Yea dude! Come on in!" Or "Sorry, man, its full right now, but give me your number so I can invite you to another!" where as the second guy was a complete and total jerk and simply barged his way in, confusing the guests, and simply being rude all together?

That's what its like when some one jumps into an already established story RP. Those participating are sitting there saying "Who the frig is this idiot?" and are forced to either accommodate him or her within the RP or have to post an OOC saying that now is not the time.

DO NOT BE THIS PERSON.

You will NOT be met kindly if you are the jerk who bursts into an RP and expect everyone to pander to your very being.

BE POLITE

ASK BEFORE JOINING CERTAIN RPS, ESPECIALLY IF THERE IS A SET STORY LINE INVOLVED

3. BE PATIENT. Those who RP on these boards have differing schedules, most of us work as well. It may TAKE TIME before some one replies to you. This also counts in threads like the Break Room and Atrium. Not every character in the thread is present or available to talk to, and it may take a few pages before some one is. It TAKES TIME but you WILL be noticed eventually.

Trust me, back when I first started RPing in the Break Room, it must have taken at least ten pages before some one actually talked to my character. She literally sat on the couch doing nothing for about ten pages before some one decided "DUDE! That's a weird alien over there!" and talked to her. I did not push, I did not scream at people for not talking to me, I just waited.

DO NOT be this person:

Screaming for attention is how you get marked as a troll and ignored, as well as annoying the ever living c.rap out of everyone present. Stay calm, be patient, if all else fails go to the OOC thread (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=4838765) and ask if anyone is willing to RP with you.

Most everyone here on the boards are rather friendly, and we're more than willing to help you improve in your RP.... Which is why I threw together this post. I don't want to see more novice RPers become frustrated because they don't know the way around the boards.

And with that being said, I hope this makes sense! And anyone else is welcome to add their own input to this post. I'll be reserving the post after this one in order to add additional quotes of helpful hints. Happy RPing everyone!

Silverling

05-07-2014

EXTRA USEFUL INFO!

Quote:
The Ball and Ori:
I would also like to add to people wanting to join RP's that it's not enough to simply join. Joining an RP is not just a casually party that you can leave forever. It's a commitment to contribute your character's part in the story. It's okay to slow down the postings a little, but do try to at least post. Nothing is worse than having a new person join the story, have them interact and get intertwined with a few characters, then ignore the RP forever and force those characters to be unable to move forward.

I know...I've been on both sides of that....

As Orianna said, joining an RP takes commitment. Do not join an RP you're only going to make two posts in and then never be seen again. Consider your own time constraints and your ability to keep up with other people. Nothing is more frustrating to both the DM and the other RPers when some one decides to simply stop posting.

So yea, don't do that... Its rude and mean to the other RPers.

theplague1369

05-07-2014

If only I could have the kid immortalized by a Silverling drawing someday... life would be complete.

RickScythe

05-07-2014

Okay :P I know who that person yelling is.It's someone I know very well

Silverling

05-07-2014

Pfft.... These aren't even good drawings!

When I get a bit more time I'll try to take some requests.... Or somethin... Maybe.... *Flails*

Edit:

@RickScythe: You're not the only person to have done something like that.

Trust me.

RickScythe

05-07-2014

But,this is actually helpful.Requests?For drawings?Well,to err is human,to repeat is idiocy.

FilFire

05-07-2014

Quote:
Silverling:

Read the first post

Read the first post

Read the first post

Read the first post

READ THE FIRST DANG POST

It's like she's trying to tell us something...

Eat a cookie?

Seriously though, as long as this gets stickied or bumped regularly it looks like a good idea.

Of course, you'd have to get all newcomers to actually read this damn thread.

Silverling

05-07-2014

Quote:
RickScythe:
But,this is actually helpful.Requests?For drawings?Well,to err is human,to repeat is idiocy.

Yes, requests for drawings.

And I'm glad its helpful!

Quote:
FilFire:
It's like she's trying to tell us something...

Eat a cookie?

Seriously though, as long as this gets stickied or bumped regularly it looks like a good idea.

Of course, you'd have to get all newcomers to actually read this damn thread.

I know, its really cryptic and hard to read, maybe some one else could explain it better?

Yeah, there's a reason why I made the title in all caps. And I wouldn't mind getting the thread stickied!

... I just... Have no idea how to do that. .__.

theplague1369

05-07-2014

Quote:
Silverling:
Pfft.... These aren't even good drawings!

When I get a bit more time I'll try to take some requests.... Or somethin... Maybe.... *Flails*

They are better than anything I can draw. Also, to add a note in (I was too impressed by the drawings to read alot of the text ) Some Champions have rules about visitors, they don't exactly like them, and they prefer to run their stuff like a column with just letters, only RPing there under special circumstances. Also, because I have no idea if it is covered, most Ask threads are Instanced too, and it is normally up to the Champion whether or not to mix them. (Damn, I would feel terrible if you mentioned all of this before... oh well, back to staring at your drawings with a melancholy look. "Why not me?!" )

FilFire

05-07-2014

Quote:
Silverling:
I know, its really cryptic and hard to read, maybe some one else could explain it better?

Yeah, there's a reason why I made the title in all caps. And I wouldn't mind getting the thread stickied!

... I just... Have no idea how to do that. .__.

Where is the Chair of Indefinite Studies when you need him?

Maybe with baseball bats and lots of rope?