Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Share] Your Experience as a Concept Creator

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

STK Gnar

05-04-2014

Hello!

This thread is somewhat different from the typical suggestion or game of creating stuff, so if I'm doing it wrong and this thread either shouldn't be here or just shouldn't exist in general, I understand that I'm new to the forums and I don't know how they work so deleting it or giving me a warning or whatever will be okay (Or you could downvote it to oblivion and make me cry, I guess that teaches me a lesson too).

So, basically the purpose of this thread is to introduce yourself as a Concept Creator (It seemed like the most all-encompassing title that you could call anyone on this part of the forum).

So here is a list of questions that you can answer, you don't have to, you can add your own, etc. Just suggestions for people who's creative minds are focused on other things .

When did you start playing League?
What rank are you/what's your honest estimate of how good you are?
What's your favorite role in League?
What's your favorite champion?

When did you start creating concepts for league?
What other games have you made concepts for?
Why, if you know, do you like to create champions and skins?
What is your favorite type of champion to create and why?
What "thing" are you working on right now? (Champ, skin, skills, reviews, nothing, other)

Now, I'll do mine:

Hi, I'm DKPaladinMDL, but on other forums people usually refer to me as DK or DKP. My name comes from an obscure combination of things that I made when I was 8 (I won't go into detail, but I will tell you that It isn't Donkey Kong, I'm not from Denmark and I don't play WoW). Unlike a lot of people, I have pride in this username even though I created it as a dumb little kid so I continue to use it.

I'm not sure how long I've been playing league for, I started somewhere in season 2, then came back right on the turn of season 3. I'm silver III currently, was placed into silver II and demoted because of ELO decay. I don't try to rank up much because I feel like Silver III represents my skill level well enough. Because I am not the best league player, I rely on a lot of feedback to help correct some of the ideas of my characters. My favorite roles are top and support, I occasionally play mid and I'm the worst ADC known to man, even though I perfectly understand the ADC role.

I create concepts for almost every single game I play that it is possible to do it for, the bigger two being League of Legends and Maplestory. Now before you shoot me in the head, I don't play MS, haven't played MS for a while, and recently stopped making class ideas for it, because I have to say that game has grown to be horrendous. My first ever published concept was for MS about 3 years ago. Since then I have made both MS and League Ideas, but publishing only my MS ones as I transitioned out of it.

I'm not really sure why I like to make character ideas. I most often create top or jungling champions because I main top in-game and I feel like Fighter is the role where it's the easiest to "Try something new". This is kind of Ironic because I am both bad at and have not made an ADC idea before, and yet, it will be the first one that I complete to publish. I am currently working on my ADC champion, Aerynh, the Vengeful Marksman, which I plan to submit to MACFA when I'm done since it's ADC month. I put it on google docs to have an easy way to edit it from anywhere, and hey, while I'm here, I might as well give that link as well [Aerynh, The Vengeful Marksman (https://docs.google.com/document/d/183W2mrDuzXdtgvKYLmNenEcakd-xzuJN5OpUp3MhT3o/edit)]

In my time in the MS forums, there were approximately three people who submitted actual detailed class ideas. Everything else was some 8 year old wanting a naruto character. Class ideas were almost never commented on and even when they got to move out of the fan creations section there was no love for them. Among my friends too, it is rare that any of them will even allow me to say one of my class ideas, let alone listen or give feedback. This is probably the main reason that I am driven to create this thread as I want to get to know the large amount of people here who appreciate class ideas, a concept that I am unfamiliar with and excited for.

Well, that's all for me, maybe we can all get to know each other!

Varsic

05-04-2014

Quote:

Mid-Late Season 2. First ranked game was Ashe 0-4 on the last day on Season 2.
Quote:

S2: N/A S3: Silver 1 S4: Gold 5 Honest Rank: Gold 1 - Platinum 5
Quote:

Support. Nothing like hand feeding a carry!
Quote:

Draven, followed by Thresh.
Quote:

Roughly a few months ago on paper, however I've made a master list of my creations here 2 weeks ago.
Quote:

Haven't made any other concepts.
Quote:

I see myself going for a Mobile Application Designer/Programmer in my career. I find creating concepts to be a better use of my time rather than playing.
Quote:

New champions themselves, because I get to expand on a new concept and a new mechanic. Everytime I make a new champion I try to incorporate a new mechanic to the game. My Favorite champion I made so far is based off of a Chrono-legionnaire from Red Alert 2.
Quote:
What "thing" are you working on right now? (Champ, skin, skills, reviews, nothing, other)

Currently watching my Make a Champion Concept For Art(MCCFA) contest, I have 2 concepts ready to transfer to the forums and 4 in the creation process.

You can find all my concepts here, List-o-Champions (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=46540070) and my relatively fun game here Champion Fusion Game (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=4475605)

Varsic

05-04-2014

I'm guessing DKP is the initials of a best friend, your favorite movie/animated character is Aladin, and your initials are MDL.

OR

A youth crush initials of DKP, you both watched Aladin together, and initials are still MDL?

Am I close

Voidizarre

Recruiter

05-04-2014

Q: When did you start playing League?
A: September 4, 2013
Q: What rank are you/what's your honest estimate of how good you are?
A: Bronze I/Bronze I (Probably should just die)
Q: What's your favorite role in League?
A: AP Mid.
Q: What's your favorite champion?
A: Akali, Zed.

Q: When did you start creating concepts for league?
A: January 2014.
Q: What other games have you made concepts for?
A: DotA 1 and Warcraft 3 Mods.
Q: Why, if you know, do you like to create champions and skins?
A: Because I want to know how good or bad my creations can be.
Q: What is your favorite type of champion to create and why?
A: Majority of my concepts are spread out between Fighter, Assassin and Mage.
Q: What "thing" are you working on right now? (Champ, skin, skills, reviews, nothing, other)
A: Champ, Skins, Reviews. Personally I will try to be more active and review other's concepts.

Tamur

05-04-2014

Q: When did you start playing League?
A: November 28, 2011
Q: What rank are you/what's your honest estimate of how good you are?
A: Dead Wood (do to a dying computer)
Q: What's your favorite role in League?
A: All.
Q: What's your favorite champion?
A: Rammus, Shen, Morgana, Master Yi

Q: When did you start creating concepts for league?
A: March 2012.
Q: What other games have you made concepts for?
A: none.
Q: Why, if you know, do you like to create champions and skins?
A: Because I want to know how good or bad my creations can be.
A: I only have 1 champion
Q: What "thing" are you working on right now? (Champ, skin, skills, reviews, nothing, other)
A: Champ, Skins, Reviews, forum games (Ability Creation Game and Champion in a champion

STK Gnar

05-04-2014

Quote:
Varsic:
I'm guessing DKP is the initials of a best friend, your favorite movie/animated character is Aladin,

No.
Quote:
Varsic:
and your initials are MDL.

Yes.

Quote:
Varsic:
A youth crush initials of DKP, you both watched Aladin together,

Wow, watching a movie with my crush would be amazing, then again, so would talking to her without armpit waterfalls.

Well, if you really want to know:
As a kid I played yugioh. My favorite card was Dark Paladin. When I joined my first gaming site (Miniclip, I think, or MS??), I had to choose a username, so I put in DarkPaladin. Taken. So I shortened "Dark" into "DRK", but that was still taken. I added my initials MDL to the end for DRKPaladinMDL, but that exceeded the character limit, so I shortened DRK into DK, which makes a lot of people think that DK stands for dark knight or dragon knight when it is in fact just one word. Paladin is its own word, rather than a capital P + aladdin, I guess people call me DKP just because they like all 3 capital letters.

Thanks to both of you for posting, though!

Varsic

05-04-2014

For some reason I thought Aladdin had only one "d". Haha, I knew your initials from the champion google document...not creeper status at at all...no..

Void and Tamur seem like me, trying to have fun!

Sir Longfellow

05-04-2014

Quote:
DKPaladinMDL:

end of 2010 I think. It was tight after Cassiopia was released.

Quote:

Idk honestly,, rarely play ranked. But I'm really good, not pro level or nothing though.

Quote:

Depends on my team honestly, I play too much solo queue to answer this lol. But if I have a good team, then tank. I like junglers and ADCs too though.

Quote:

Probably Quinn or Skarner.

Quote:

Early 2011 late 2010, something like that.
Quote:

What a question. They've rarely been as organized as the ones I make here, but: Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Sonic (the arena one of the gameboy can't remember its name), Smash Bros., etc. etc. etc. Mostly made character concepts for roleplays and comics and whatnot though.

Quote:

I have so many good ideas and I look to organize them, take a step back and look at them as closely to the way that I imagined them as I can.

Quote:

None. I like to create champions that are creative and flow well, along with having a strong fantasy and engaging backstory.

Quote:

Dromyre, the Brute of the Core (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1819770)

Character creation has been something I was into pretty much since I was in like 3rd grade at the youngest. I remember in middle school I made my own club of comic creators. And I have a huge stack of characters with movesets and abilities and whatnot in this box in my room.

PreserverSummone

05-04-2014

I started playing League on the OCE server one year and half ago. Since then, I have become far more skilled, but I have yet to finish my first ranked promotional (simply out of fear).

I would like to say I'm good, but I'm not. I'm better than some, and worse than others. I still have a lot to learn, and I hope one day I will be able to call myself a 'worthy summoner'.

My favourite role is mid lane, but with Rumble's new skin, I've drifted back to top, and therefor also to jungle. I loathe botlane simply because it is one of the most important lanes, and losing there usually means you lose overall 50% of the time.

I have an affinity for Void champions, primarily Kassadin, due to him being a very engaging champion in lore, and an excellent Assassin in game

I've had ideas for champions since I began playing, but only recently have I started posting them.

Plenty, but League is my most concepted game due to the amount of creativity that can go into a champion design.

Because it would be interesting to see them in game, to see how they work with a team, and how others would play them. Also, their story could affect others, leading to interesting interactions with other champions.

I have no favourite champion role to create, but I have made more than three mid laners that I have not posted, so if I have to choose out of the number I have made, Midlane would be my selection.

I am working on at least 10 different ideas right now. One map, six champions, and three skins.

Katsuni

06-03-2014

Kind of a neat idea, and note that social networking is absolutely required in the larger industry; it's not a "nice thing to have", it's a "you don't get hired without linkedin, facebook, etc." to build up your contacts list.

As such, this is a good introduction to that concept, while also helping to get to know people around here. I don't much have the time to focus upon the forum anymore myself, but it'd be useful for people to realize that the easiest way to get reviews and better their designs, is to build up a network of friends with similar interests. Especially if those interests include champion design.

So why not? I'll toss myself into the list and give it a bump.

Quote:
DKPaladinMDL:

I started playing League the day it came out, oddly enough.

In terms of my skill level? At my peak, I'd estimate roughly about 1800 true ELO in the old ranking system. I had some friends at 2200ish and up, and could barely keep up with them; I could keep myself from being dead weight when on their team and avoid getting killed by much more skilled players. Against friends that were 1600-1800, I played at a higher level than them, so the estimation is somewhere around the mid-high range of 1800's. As I'd stopped playing before they truly changed over to the new system, I've no idea what that would be in the current ranking system, nor do I much care as my skill's likely dropped off considerably =P

For a role, I prefer anything indirect. Tanking, support, long range artillery, position control, pretty much anything other than damage. Given that Nidalee is excellent at all of these (maybe not tanking so much anymore, not sure), and I love her personality and play style, I'd have to go with Nid as my favourite <3
Quote:
DKPaladinMDL:

Lessee... I started creating champion concepts shortly after it came out, as in long before this forum existed.

I've made champion concepts for DotA Allstarts (pre-dota2; sorry about Abaddon, that was my fault), and made all of the character designs for SideQuest from Fractal Entertainment, and both Saligia, and Giddy Cook from Spicy Rocket Ltd., as well as several ghostwritten novels, and all the characters for the book Angels Walk Among You - Would Everyone Get Out? (Aka: AWAY WE GO), which is still in production at the moment because I haven't finished writing it yet. =P

So why do I like to create character designs in general, and champions in specific? It's fun, it's creative, and I like the idea of being able to make something I would enjoy to play myself. It's good practice, and character design as a whole is just entertaining to me. I've always done this kind of stuff, though; I have hundreds of character designs for D&D, dozens of mech designs for the old Battletech board game, lots more for other RPGs and tabletops, dozens of planets with intricate details down to their evolutionary processes, cultures, religions and architectures for various species from scratch.

I guess I really just like to build stuff for the sake of building it. Doesn't even matter if it ever gets used, I just like making things =P

For champion designs in particular, though, I prefer making concepts that are a little bit unique and different; Nemhain, for example, is a 0 cooldown tank. Kiana is a melee AP DPS with high mobility. That sort of thing. It shows in my other work as well, such as how SideQuest had (until they changed writers) an illiterate mage and a bookworm warrior. It's fun to toy with what people expect to a degree, and to tackle old problems from a new vector that hasn't been done very often, then polish it to a shine <3

As for what I'm working on, I'm currently updating my portfolio, writing a novel, and may be doing some ghost writing again shortly if my contact ever gets back to me on skype. Got a message from them two days ago and then silence. Strange stuff. Oh well.

Unfortunately, that means little time for the champion design forum, so I haven't been around all that much recently. Sorry! Would like to spend more time here, but simply don't really have the time to do so for the most part, today being a minor exception since I'm taking a half day break to relax a bit after getting almost 0 hours of free time last week from constant work from waking to sleeping. Such is the way of things, though.

Anyway, good luck on this post doing well, and keep in mind that everyone should really start working in on the social networking aspect of things. Trust me, the forum and champion design is a lot more fun when you have friends to share it with. Hell, I'm dating and lived with someone I met on here! You never know when someone here may go on to become someone helpful to your career as well, or become a love interest, or just be good friends for life. You know you have champion crafting as a common point of interest, so it's a good place to start with. Make use of these people around you, and make friends! It can be well worth it!