Low Level Team Builder Experiment

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MrSc0tty

04-29-2014

attempting to queue for "Ashe-any lane, any role"

Estimated wait time: very long.

Piiiddgey

04-29-2014

why don't you just REPLACE BLIND PICK?

Coredor

04-29-2014

Hey lyte, if you're still here can you plz tell me your thoughts on this thread

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=4480100

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

04-29-2014
3 of 35 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
My initial thought is that it seems a little silly to push back Blind Pick until level 10, since new players will have already been exposed to it via Coop vs AI. But having a range where Team Builder is the only PVP option available should help funnel players into it and help queue times rather than splitting them between TB and Blind Pick. I'm happy with anything that opens Team Builder up earlier though.

On another point, any ETA on having Team Builder matches count towards Normal stats?
Team Builder matches and stats are still being recorded, so we'll just add it to Normal Stats in the near future. We wanted to finish the new feature that allows Solos to see what specs are in demand first, and will fix the Normal Stats issue afterwards.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-29-2014
4 of 35 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxe Out View Post
I really like the idea of Team Builder but I just don't have the time to wait, I have queue times from 15-45 minutes. Most of the time I even forget I'm in queue while watching Netflix. It just not good for me. I don't understand why my Q times are so high but I've had a horrible experience with it unless I'm with 4 friends which at that point, might as well blind pick.
If you were Diamond last season, your normal MMR is probably pretty high. Right now, the matchmaking doesn't handle high or low MMR players in any queue very well; in fact, Diamond players tend to wait pretty long in Ranked Mode as well.

We're researching a potential upgrade to the matchmaking system for this particular issue, and will keep you posted. Don't worry, you'll get fast queue times in Team Builder soon too!

Pyrrasu

04-29-2014

I really like the idea of this experiment! I don't have any friends < level 10 so I'm interested to see how it's received.

One thing that might help newbies learn the game along Teambuilder would be some information (in-client or on the website) about roles and positions. Some general information like "tanks focus on defense and teamfight disruption" and "supports assist allies through crowd control, heals, and shields, and are excellent laning partners." In fact, it would be great if, upon unlocking Teambuilder, a popup came up linking to a page that gives an overview of each role/position.

Lyte

04-29-2014
5 of 35 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExaltedVanguard View Post
Hey Lyte, after your last (duo captain) experiment ended, my queue times improved greatly (1-3 hour wait times down to 15 minutes or so). Over the last week and a half, though (even during double ip weekend), my queue times have crept upwards and increased again. Making my own team takes me about a half-hour (where I can't do anything else because I have to watch for matches), and finding a team takes over an hour. As I type this, I've been searching for a team for almost an hour and a half. Have you guys flipped some other switches recently?
Hm, it shouldn't have. Are you playing on NA on "ExaltedVanguard?"

Levinaris

04-29-2014

POSSIBLE BUG

It seems that the system is arbitrarily slow. I joined the queue as Veigar mid and it fairly quickly found a group for me. I saw the others members, one of which I just played with who was negative and went afk mid-game, so I hit the "Find another group" button. 3.5min later a group was found. It took another 2-3min to finish queuing up players and get in game.

The bug itself is related to the delay in matching me in a game. The captain of the second game had been in queue for nearly two minutes (58.? left) and said no one had been in the mid slot I took before I showed up. Which means that there was a game available that I was queued for without matching us for nearly 2 minutes. If the system could recognize the match faster, I would feel far better about the system.

This experience was on a second account of mine that is leveling up.

KunehoKun

04-29-2014

I think that Dominion should be unlocked before summoner level 10.

Level 1 - Tutorials and Co-Op vs AI is unlocked. This lets players learn the basics of the game. Usually, they try a champion that seems cool and if they feel very comfortable, will continue to use them.

Level 5 - Howling Abyss becomes available. Now players can fight others, but in a casual environment where you can learn new champions. Here you can also learn about poking and get experience teamfighting.

Level 7-8 - I feel that Dominion should be unlocked around this time. At it's core, it's a straightforward map/mode.

You have a fog of war area that people can set up ambushes or evade people with.
You have a respawning buff in the center.
You have the towers. With towers controlled, you get minion waves.

Dominion then becomes a mode where players can learn about being wary without vision, judging if taking a buff would be safe, and defending/contesting towers (objectives).

While Howling Abyss generally follows the lesson of "win a teamfight, take a tower", Dominion shows the importance of objective control and more strongly emphasizes coordinated strikes. It serves as a bridge between... the bridge, and the rift.

The rift encompasses both the passive game of HA and the aggressive game of Dom, and adds the Jungle and a larger map, which ends up making SR the most complex of the modes.

If the new player decides to give all the modes a shot, they can be a little more knowledgeable about the facets of the whole game and be better prepare for:

Level 10: TT and SR opens. Now they know of various champions, the styles of play, and the importance of scouting and playing closely to your team.

With that out of the way, they can go in-depth with their basic knowledge and learn about the roles without having to fumble around too much with what to do.

That said, I'd say Level 10 is where Team Builder would be unlocked, as it'll highlight the various roles of the game at a point in their games where it's slowly becoming necessary to know (i.e now that PvP SR is unlocked.)

FatedTitan

04-29-2014

Lyte, if queue times are so long, do you really think it is wise to make Team Builder the only option for PvP for low levels? If I had to wait 10-15 a game, I wouldn't sit around and wait. I'd just quit the game in general.