Where Has IronStylus And Grumpy Monkey Been? I Miss Them

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

06-04-2014
7 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiluniS View Post
@Grumpy Monkey, I don't get how evelynn isn't a top priority yet, she recieved a remake at the same time twitch did, but he got his VU already done, and eve isn't even set for this year, because you can't decide who she is. How much of a problem is to sit as a team for a few hours and have a conversation about what she supposed to be, she's always left in the corner, no love for the widowmaker
The thing about Eve, is there are several directions we can take her. Right now it's a toss up as to what we want to do with her lore. The choices made by the writing team as to her origin will largely affect what she looks like. Also if I can be candid for a second, So at Riot, everybody is a huge fan of league (duh) and everybody has favorite champions. The Relaunch Team (Now being called the Champion Update Team) tries to be very visible to the rest of the company as to what we are doing (as most teams are). Now it just so happens that sometimes we want to update a champion that a TON of people love, but for all different, and sometimes conflicting reasons. Sometimes what we the team think a champion is, turns out to be completely contradictory to what the champion has become through the lens of the community and being out in the wild. Sometimes things get too visible, and we get a flood of feedback before we even have any firm ideas of our own as a team. It takes time to sort out all that feedback. Also when this happens it's very easy to get lost, to have too many options. Eve has the potential to be a key character in the Shadow isles, she can show a side of the area that other characters like Elise have touched on, but really be the paragon of certain themes. I think we sometimes get confused in the nuances of characters sometimes I'll admit it. Sometimes we say, " We need to make this the best character it can be!" rather than "This needs to be the best X champion it can be!". So rather than make the best character ever, we strive to make the best Karthus ever, or Heimerdinger or whatever, which in my opinion is more important, and an easier goal to grasp. Does that make sense?

There are so many characters, and so many nuanced archetypes in League, that we really need to take our time sometimes. Relaunches aren't just about re-making the character with better visuals,(in the beginning that's exactly what it was I'll admit) But these days they are about giving the characters more room to grow. To get them out of their dead ends, and create a future for them and integrate them into the greater tapestry.

So your question about "How much of a problem is to sit as a team for a few hours and have a conversation about what she supposed to be?" it's not a problem, but it's an ongoing process. We don't do it just once and say "BOOM that's Eve! Josh when can you have the model done?" We do it a few times to double check ourselves, and most of the time we are able to poke holes in stuff we could have swore was solid. But we always replace it with stuff that is much stronger that only would have happened if given enough time to percolate among a group of experienced, creative people.

I understand the impatience, I really do. People love these characters, I get it. We are doing our best is all I can tell you, and when Eve VU finally does come out I hope she is what players expect and then some. I hope we can make Her more intriguing as a character and provide visuals that can instantly draw you in. Sorry for the wall of text bro, you caught Me in a typey mood.

Kira Onime

06-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
The thing about Eve, is there are several directions we can take her. Right now it's a toss up as to what we want to do with her lore. The choices made by the writing team as to her origin will largely affect what she looks like. Also if I can be candid for a second, So at Riot, everybody is a huge fan of league (duh) and everybody has favorite champions. The Relaunch Team (Now being called the Champion Update Team) tries to be very visible to the rest of the company as to what we are doing (as most teams are). Now it just so happens that sometimes we want to update a champion that a TON of people love, but for all different, and sometimes conflicting reasons. Sometimes what we the team think a champion is, turns out to be completely contradictory to what the champion has become through the lens of the community and being out in the wild. Sometimes things get too visible, and we get a flood of feedback before we even have any firm ideas of our own as a team. It takes time to sort out all that feedback. Also when this happens it's very easy to get lost, to have too many options. Eve has the potential to be a key character in the Shadow isles, she can show a side of the area that other characters like Elise have touched on, but really be the paragon of certain themes. I think we sometimes get confused in the nuances of characters sometimes I'll admit it. Sometimes we say, " We need to make this the best character it can be!" rather than "This needs to be the best X champion it can be!". So rather than make the best character ever, we strive to make the best Karthus ever, or Heimerdinger or whatever, which imo is more important, and an easier goal to grasp. Does that make sense? There are so many characters, and so many nuanced archetypes in League, that we really need to take our time sometimes. Relaunches aren't just about re-making the character with better visuals,(in the beginning that's exactly what it was I'll admit) But these days they are about giving the characters more room to grow. To get them out of their dead ends, and create a future for them and integrate them into the greater tapestry.
So your question about "How much of a problem is to sit as a team for a few hours and have a conversation about what she supposed to be?" it's not a problem, but it's an ongoing process. We don't do it just once and say "BOOM that's Eve! Josh when can you have the model done?" We do it a few times to double check ourselves, and most of the time we are able to poke holes in stuff we could have swore was solid. But we always replace it with stuff that is much stronger that only would have happened if given enough time to percolate among a group of experienced, creative people. I understand the impatience, I really do. People love these characters, I get it. We are doing our best is all I can tell you, and when Eve VU finally does come out I hope she is what players expect and then some. I hope we can make Her more intriguing as a character and provide visuals that can instantly draw you in. Sorry for the wall of text bro, you caught Me in a typey mood.

Think you could break up that wall a bit?

Plz?

Judge Arcadia

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-04-2014

Quote:

8.Do you think you can give Pantheon a traditional skin? Just for the fact that the team can go all out making him this original creative looking badass armored Rakkor, and fans who are attached to his "greek" look wont be upset. It's a win win for everyone. Please?

Ideally I would hope we theme the Rakkor around what pantheon currently is. I would want to make Pantheon feel new, but still very familiar. But thats just me. If we decide that the Rakkor are visually very different from what pantheon currently is and want him to represent that new direction, then I think a traditional skin is in order. We will see when we cross that bridge though.
Thats some dangerous grounds right there. I remember how people flipped out over Trundle and Karma's new look. Hell even Sej got a lot of flak. I wish you the best of luck in the execution.

Send Me Lewds

06-04-2014

IronStylus doesn't come around these parts any more, he's afraid I'll hurt his feelings again.

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

06-04-2014
8 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira Onime View Post
Think you could break up that wall a bit?

Plz?
Done, I Vu'd my post for readability.

Kira Onime

06-04-2014

Quote:
Bacon well deserved.

Shadow Merchant

06-04-2014

Mr. Grumpy Monkey,

Please let me know, Is anything going on with Yorick? T_T I miss him!!!.

Sincerely, Me.

Lucas Is My Hero

06-04-2014

keep up the great work, lil grump. if you had any part in the new quinn skin, i give thousands of thanks to you and your team

Xeroticz

06-04-2014

Do you think a Zac skin will be released this year?

Thales

06-04-2014

Quote:
Yes, but does it better express the character of the post?