Where Has IronStylus And Grumpy Monkey Been? I Miss Them

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WizzadDeBz

Senior Member

06-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Welp, I'll echo what Josh was saying. Things have been busy, especially since PAX East. Relaunch, now called Champion Update has really picked up and our team is chugging along with a decent mandate on the continued improvement of the game from all three angles of character content. It's a very exciting time, one which has it's share of high moments and real challenges.

Personally, things for me have been mixed. My wife recently lost her job and that's been a big punch in the gut for us. Job loss is often coupled with feelings of depression, anxiety and other troubling emotions. It's obviously difficult for the person going through it, but it's also tough for the couple in general.

We're doing our best. My wife is working through a lot of tough emotions right now amidst the job search and I'm trying to help where and when I can. I know what she's gone though, intimately, and we're trudging through as a unit. Things are tough out there in general for a lot of people.

I'm not going to make it out like it's anything worse than what others who've been hit by the general economic downturn have faced. In many, many ways we're very blessed. We have friends, family and mechanisms in place to help us. Support is everything when someone goes through this sort of situation. It's hard to not feel devalued or unsure of one's self when losing a job. Often the psychological effects are just as traumatic as the economic ones.

That said, we're holding in there. I'll be honest. The personal situation with my wife and I has kept me away from the forums in general. Family always comes first. There's a lot that I've been tending to on that front and it's left me with little time and energy to come out here into the community as much.

So yeah. Moving on, wheel keeps turning. Thanks for asking
always tough to hear about people going through tough times. The community is here for you too! Best of luck to your wife on the job search. Best wishes from me to you both, hoping she'll find something she really loves, blessing in disguise type thing


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SecretLore

Senior Member

06-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
I actually did the most recent concept for Irelia that we have internally. Actually.. it's the only one.. Not sure if no one wanted to take her on or what.

While not being too specific, I combined aspects of the new Karma and some form language from Yasuo. Personally I feel that she should be the quintessential Ionian military commander.

Again, all of it could change.
While I really like the idea of her getting a VU,wouldn't she also benefit from a kit rework?
I mean she may not be terrible or toxic in any way,but her biggest identifying factor is that she is the girl with the levitating blades and her kit doesn't express this very good(only her ult does it and her ult doesn't feel very impressive)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Samflash3

Senior Member

06-05-2014

Ironstylus best support NA. But seriously man I wish you all the best.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

immortalibra

Senior Member

06-05-2014

I just got a job after being unemployed for 7 months ( first day was Monday) so I know how depressing and down that can feel. It sucked. I felt so helpless having to depend on others to help me get by. But without my loved ones being there, assisting me and encouraging me through that time, I wouldn't have been able to make it without their support lifting me up. Having family by my side helped me not fall into an even darker hole.

As long as you're by each other's side and stay positive I'm sure you guys will come out of this real strong.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ArmySquirrel

Senior Member

06-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Welp, I'll echo what Josh was saying. Things have been busy, especially since PAX East. Relaunch, now called Champion Update has really picked up and our team is chugging along with a decent mandate on the continued improvement of the game from all three angles of character content. It's a very exciting time, one which has it's share of high moments and real challenges.

Personally, things for me have been mixed. My wife recently lost her job and that's been a big punch in the gut for us. Job loss is often coupled with feelings of depression, anxiety and other troubling emotions. It's obviously difficult for the person going through it, but it's also tough for the couple in general.

We're doing our best. My wife is working through a lot of tough emotions right now amidst the job search and I'm trying to help where and when I can. I know what she's gone though, intimately, and we're trudging through as a unit. Things are tough out there in general for a lot of people.

I'm not going to make it out like it's anything worse than what others who've been hit by the general economic downturn have faced. In many, many ways we're very blessed. We have friends, family and mechanisms in place to help us. Support is everything when someone goes through this sort of situation. It's hard to not feel devalued or unsure of one's self when losing a job. Often the psychological effects are just as traumatic as the economic ones.

That said, we're holding in there. I'll be honest. The personal situation with my wife and I has kept me away from the forums in general. Family always comes first. There's a lot that I've been tending to on that front and it's left me with little time and energy to come out here into the community as much.

So yeah. Moving on, wheel keeps turning. Thanks for asking
That can be awful, feeling like all the work you'd done was for nothing and wasn't seen as worthwhile. I'm sorry for her, and I hope she feels better soon. In these times it's best to turn to other achievements, and really, she inspired Leona, and many, many people love Leona. Leona is wonderful, and I'm sure your wife is equally as wonderful. This random internet stranger says hi, and hopes she gets to feeling better soon.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Akuni

Senior Member

06-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
I don't know if they are finished to be honest. I think the goal was to clean them up and make them less noisy to better fit the current lower contrast/easy read texture style we like. Since pentakill is getting some attention because of the bad ass album, I think skins team wanted to give the Pentakill skins some attention. The main complaint I am seeing is that a lot of the visual noise that was conveying metal material, has been lowered in contrast. At any rate, if they are slated for this patch then it's out, but that doesn't mean we can't update a little here and there after the fact. As for a Morde VU, hell yes! Most likely next year though...maybe...don't hold me to that.
I want to get back to this quote Grumpy (And I totally know it's not your call but maybe you could... relay it to the people who did the TU?):

The general plan was to reduce visual noise - They did just that BUT the skins suffered a lot from that as in becoming bland and plastic'y looking. They have like no highlights whatsoever right now. Heck they didn't even give Sona the tattoo she has on the new splash.
That would be fine if everything would be like that (albeit super boring and not really up-to-par with todays graphic standards) BUT just look at that Skarner TU... The base one especially.
He got a BUNCH of shading and highlights. He's as "noisy" as old pentaMordekaiser and is considered as an upgrade.

Why, the, hell aren't we allowed to have old pentaMorde then?! :<
Just please let those people know that this penta-TU was not really a good move and they need some highlights and shading back. Please :< *Metal-Puppy-Eyes*


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

06-05-2014
19 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretLore View Post
While I really like the idea of her getting a VU,wouldn't she also benefit from a kit rework?
I mean she may not be terrible or toxic in any way,but her biggest identifying factor is that she is the girl with the levitating blades and her kit doesn't express this very good(only her ult does it and her ult doesn't feel very impressive)
Oh yeah, thought I mentioned it'd be a VGU (Visual & Gameplay Update), what used to be termed a "relaunch", the potential to scrap large chunks of the character in return for more consistency. In Irelia's case, yeah, we'd be talking about a gameplay overhaul as well. Vesh and I were casually talking about it the other day.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fishing Boat

Member

06-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Visual markers for me that have to stay are the giant collar, cape, head thingy, half revealing dress, dual-tone color palette, that sort of stuff. Honestly just taking what she is and putting a lot of style and quality, while also integrating some sort of motif that speaks of being two-faced. I'd like to get a couple more costume elements in there that could be ported over to skins aside from just the cape and collar.
With all respect dear parrot, I'm wondering why you value the giant collar and head thingy so much? I mean, the collar is... unique, I suppose, but it doesn't add much for me the way it is; it just makes her silhouette look funny. On the other hand, her head thingy is best described as a thingy...

I know you probably won't answer, but I'll still feel better if I ask you why you are noting these as priorities. I feel like there's a somewhat different theme that should fit a deceiver who rules the underground, even if she is classy.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

06-09-2014
20 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing Boat View Post
With all respect dear parrot, I'm wondering why you value the giant collar and head thingy so much? I mean, the collar is... unique, I suppose, but it doesn't add much for me the way it is; it just makes her silhouette look funny. On the other hand, her head thingy is best described as a thingy...

I know you probably won't answer, but I'll still feel better if I ask you why you are noting these as priorities. I feel like there's a somewhat different theme that should fit a deceiver who rules the underground, even if she is classy.
Mainly just because she needs.. something. Standard humans with very little in terms of memorable weapons, costumes or body types are difficult to assign uniqueness. Leblanc is a mage with a staff and a cape. Can't get more ubiquitous than that! So, if she's going to occupy some standard mage territory, we can at least make her look like a cool mage. Mainly I'm looking for shapes that we could preserve, so maybe even at a glance, if there's nothing even really similar in costume from a pre-VU state to a post-VU state, the head thingy, the collar, cape and staff can at least immediately say LeBlanc.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JumboWumbo

Senior Member

06-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Mainly just because she needs.. something. Standard humans with very little in terms of memorable weapons, costumes or body types are difficult to assign uniqueness. Leblanc is a mage with a staff and a cape. Can't get more ubiquitous than that! So, if she's going to occupy some standard mage territory, we can at least make her look like a cool mage. Mainly I'm looking for shapes that we could preserve, so maybe even at a glance, if there's nothing even really similar in costume from a pre-VU state to a post-VU state, the head thingy, the collar, cape and staff can at least immediately say LeBlanc.
I found the parrot.


Do I get a prize?