Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Mare, the Cursed Puppeteer

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DevourerOfDonuts

04-25-2014

Mare, the Cursed Puppeteer
Pronunctiation: Mahr (like the actual word, Mare
Big shoutout to Zeddicus4 for the art! He rocks!

Lore:
Born in Piltover, Mare was famous throughout Valoran for his puppeteering skills. He traveled the world performing for children, making his puppets seemingly come alive before those he was entertaining. Everyone saw Mare as an extremely skilled man, whose abilities in controlling puppets were unparalleled. The sock puppets and finger-toys almost began to breathe under his control. In those days, Mare was a lighthearted young man with a promising future laid out for him. He was married to a beautiful woman, and had a tiny baby girl.
However, Mare's life was altered forever when he found out that he was terminally ill. The disease was to kill him in a month, at most. He became distraught that his child would have to grow up without him, staying up fearfully at nights and straying from the daylight. He holed himself up in his room, using techmaturgy he had picked up from his travels to design a special contraption: A puppet that would inhabit his mind. He grew exceedingly sick both mentally and physically. His wife barely saw him anymore.
Finally, one day, he died. His wife grieved his loss. But the daughter, who was just learning how to talk, continually pointed at her father's creation that was meant to resurrect him, mumbling "Daddy". One day, Mare's wife walked into her child's room to find the creation cuddling the child to itself. Horrified and unsure of what to do, Mare's wife sent Mare out of the house, calling him a monster. He tried to come back in, but his wife was bawling, unsure of what to do.
The next day, when she woke up to find her child, it was gone. She searched the whole house, hysteric with fear, before finding them: The puppet of Mare, cuddling to himself a tiny puppet with their daughter's piercing blue eyes and scarlet hair that murmured "Daddy, Daddy" repeatadly, and the daughter's old human body lying dead on the ground.
What happened next is unknown. All the League knows is that Mare's wife and daughter were found in the house the next day, a gun held in the wife's hand, and Mare was wandering Valoran with no place to go. Those who saw him described him as "void of emotion." Finally, with no other place to go where he was not recognized as a beast, he joined the League of Legends. There, he uses his puppeteering skills to take control the mind's of his opponents, and is perhaps one of the greatest threats in the League today.
"Before his transformation, Mare saw his puppets as people. Now, he sees people as his puppets".
-Viktor

ALLIES
966982 966996

Abilities

Innate- No Strings Attached
Enemies that die within 650 Range of Mare grant him a stack of Puppets. At 10 stacks, his next ability will cost only 45% original mana price and heal himself for 15/20/25% of maximum health. Marionettes will also apply the innate as though they were Mare, but Mare gets the heals.
Explanation:This is a pretty powerful Innate, considering Mare's abilities are fairly Mana Costly. He can farm this easily on Mid Lane, or use his Q and himself to benefit from his Carry's CS, sort of like Thresh. Hard to accomplish, but pretty rewarding.

Q- Mind Control
12/11/10/9/8, 575 range. 100 mana.
Mare controls the mind of an enemy, fearing them for .75/1/1.25/1.5/1.75 seconds and lowering armor by 20% for 2 seconds.
Explanation:This is quite similar to Fiddlestick's Q, but it also lowers armor. I realize this is quite similar, but it's really a good tool for supporting that I feel should be implemented more often.

W- Ventriliquism
14 second cooldown, 300/350/400/450/500 move speed. 100/95/90/85/80 Mana.
Mare controls the mind of an allied lane minion AT 80%+ HEALTH or his Marionette, turning it into an untargetable puppet. It will wander to the nearest enemy champion within 400 range and explode, rooting them and dealing 80/110/140/170/200 (+55% AP) as magic damage. If there are no nearby enemy champions, it will stay immobile until an enemy champion comes, and expires after 17 seconds.
Explanation:This is a slightly altered Maokai sapling, which has slightly better effects but is harder to use because you need a minion nearby. This is kind of a balancer for Mare: It makes him strong in lane, but if you catch him in a weak spot without minions, you can kill him easier. Thus, Mare has to stay around minions. however, this can be very helpful to damage and CC enemies, and should not be taken as a useless ability by any means.

E- Marionette
18/17/16/15/13 second cooldown. 500/520/540/560/580 Range. 105 Mana.
Marionette:Mare creates an obvious puppet of himself, which he can control by holding Alt+Right Click (like Shaco clone). It has 8/9/10/11/12% of his stats and 250 AA range. It grants vision in a range equal to a champion, and grants the Sixth Sense bonus. It will die if not within 850 range of Mare, killed, or 1 minute.Cooldown starts after any of these happens.

Explanation:This is a fairly weak ability that should not be confused as some kind of shaco-clone. Rather, this is like a weak controllable minion in a way. You can use this to ward you from ganks (one of the things that makes Mare so great support and mid), or you can use it to just damage your enemies in lane. Either way, it isn't too OP, but it can be very useful in preventing sticky situations.

R- Master of Puppets
80/70/60 second cooldown. 120 mana. 1100 Range.
Stacks of his Innate, his Puppets, are used in his ultimate. Upon casting, he will get rid of all his existing stacks of Puppets (Innate applies if there are 10, but he can cast with less stacks) to create an equal number of Puppets. Puppets are targetable, and will attack any enemy within 500 range for 8 seconds for 35/45/55(+40% AP) magic damage and applying a 15% slow, at 1.1 attack speed. However, they will take one hit each from single-target spells or attacks, or two hits from Multi-target/AoE spells. They can move.
Explanation:This is a powerful but situational ability, and helps him with his supporting or midding. The power of this can be drastically decreased or increased depending on Puppet stacks, and is one of the reasons Mare is hard to play; if he gets stacks and doesn't waste them with his Innate, he can use this is an extremely powerful spell, but if he doesn't have many stacks, this is practically useless.

IMPORTANT!: If Mare dies, all currently active pets will die as well.

Role:Support, Mage

Stats:
Health: 380(+78)
Health Regeneration: 4.6 (+0.4)
Mana: 250 (+50)
Mana Regeneration: 6.9 (+0.6)
Range: 575 (Ranged)
Attack Damage: 48 (+2.3)
Attack Speed: 0.625 (+2%)
Armor: 18 (+3)
Magic Resistance: 30 (+0)
Movement speed: 340

Build
Starting Items
958080Since he starts off fairly mana-pricey, he needs this to be helpful.
958081This one can be switched for a mana potion depending on your ADC.
958081You will definetely need at least on health pot since you start very squishy.
958079Mare's skillset is mostly poking, so this lets him do that and get enough gold for more AP.

Core
958084Since he has low survivability, this helps him support and stay alive.
958083AP procs pretty damn well on Mare. 'Nuff said.
958347Mare definitely needs mobility, and some Magic Penetration is helpful.

Bonus
958319Mare is very squishy, so he needs more survivability, or he can ult+zhonyas.
958320Like I said with Sorcerer's shoes, Magic Pen is good.
958346This procs pretty well with mare, since most of his abilities count as Spell Damage.
958345If you're building Mage and want more damage, build this. It will also help your team.
958980Feeling rich? Enemy team hiding from yo minion army? FIND THEM.

Taunts
Selection: All the world is a stage... my stage.
Moving: I pull the strings around here!
You're a clumsy puppeteer.
Let us prevail.
I will turn them into my puppets.
They will fear the puppeteer.
Attacking: I'll use your corpse as a puppet!
Another puppet for the collection...
You're starting to pull my strings!
I pity you.
You think you control what you do? HA!
Taunt: Just another marionette...
Joke: You try joking after turning your daughter into a puppet.

Special Solo Quest: Pulling Their Strings
In-Game Tooltip: Mare is searching for more Puppets. He must recieve a kill or assist on every member of the enemy team.
Explanation:On Summoner's Rift, after collecting 400 Puppets (activating the Innate 40 times, basically), and being above level 16, Mare will gain this quest. After fulfilling the quest and getting a kill/assist on every enemy champion, he gets a small but significant bonus. From then on, his Marionette will have increased size, and will recieve 30% of his stats, as opposed to the normal low %. This is actually pretty significant, but not too much to be overpowered.

Ability Icons credit of WoW.

DevourerOfDonuts

04-25-2014

bump again

DevourerOfDonuts

04-25-2014

bbump

DevourerOfDonuts

04-25-2014

yo yo bump yo

DevourerOfDonuts

04-25-2014

last bump 2day

DevourerOfDonuts

04-25-2014

wasdcake

04-26-2014

Champ Review- I'm Mostly focusing on the abilities

Innate- It seems pretty good, but in bot lane the common duo would be a AD champion. This means that the innate would not help the ADC.

Q- Maybe make the bonus AP thing get better when you level the ability . I assuming when the cooldown starts when the puppet disapears

W- i can't think of anything bad, i really like it

E- I dont understand the Highest damage part. Does this mean highest AD the person that did the most damage during the ability or what?

R- This seems fine.

Overall it seems like a cool champion but a few rough edges.

if you have time plz look over my newest champ Nima The Mechanical Bird (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=46732935&posted=1#post46732935)

Matt999

04-26-2014

Riot make this happen.

DevourerOfDonuts

04-26-2014

Changed some stuff according to suggestions. Reviewed Nima, she's great, not much I can say.

DevourerOfDonuts

04-26-2014

Q Ability Power ratio now scales with ranks.