When to start your runebook?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zjof

01-09-2010

Hello everyone,

let me start off by saying that I'm sorry if i posted this in the incorrect forum but the help page seemed more like technical issues.

So here's a beginner's question to the runebook: At what summoner level do you start buying runes? So far I just hit level 10 and I bought Ryze as my first champion. I have saved up 1500 more points and was browsing the rune store today. I feel I could really get some great bonusses from these runes but on the other hand. I could also save up all my points to buy tier 3 runes without replacing tier 1 and tier 2 runes.

Is this strategy efficient to save up some points? Or does it takes weeks of playing at level 20 before you can add another rune, thus saving up heaps of points?

Let me know what you feel like the best level is to start buying runes.

-Zjof

GRDN1014

01-09-2010

Nah I start at T2 then just replace them all at 3.

Balaron

01-09-2010

I certainly havent wanted for points to buy them per tier, but i am only 13th level. If the progression of cost stays the same, and the points per game do also then maybe saving up a bit would be a good idea.

Gaeb

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-09-2010

T1 runes are extremely cheap for 50% of the impact of T3.

Start it when you need it, if nothing else I'd throw some cheap generic T1's in (ie +MR or +MP5 or +MPen) that will be useful on a variety of chars.

Basilisk9466

01-09-2010

CDR!

I've been slowly buliding my pure Cooldown Reduction page for ages, since around lvl 10. It's about 50-50 T2 and T3 now, with one or two empty slots (lvl 25).

IMO CDR is one of the best things you can build a page for when you're starting out, because every champ in the game benefits, and benefits noticeably. It might not be optimal, but it gives you a definite boost to your playstyle while you get a feel for everything and find a particular stat you want boosted.

Protip: when you want to upgrade from T1 runes, grab the cheapest T1s you can find so you have a set of 5 for the combiner. Spending up to 75 IP (15 each is the cheapest, I believe) for a random T2 rune isn't the worst deal you can find.

MBirk

01-09-2010

I see no reason why you wouldn't fill your runebook with T1 runes at all times. Right from level1.

Avloren

01-09-2010

At 20 you're going to have difficulty instantly filling up your rune page with T3s unless you've saved some IP, it'll take you until about 24 to fill all available slots. I bought some T2s and eventually combined them into T3s at 20, the combiner is so random though, I was lucky to get one decent T3 from 15 T2s. Honestly I could've skipped T2 and been nearly as well off. Half a page of T2 runes won't make much difference anyway, it's at T3 with better runes and more rune slots available that they really start to matter. Plus by 20 you might change your mind about which champion you enjoy playing, making any runes you've bought by then potentially useless - if I were you I'd just wait until 20 to buy anything, saving IP and trying out different champions before settling on a certain champion to buy along with appropriate runes at 20.

Cannot Load Name

01-09-2010

fill up with t1 hit lvl 30 by then u should have enough points to at least fill half your book with t3 .. t2 not worth it imo .. and since u might be using ap runes they are pretty cheap so wouldnt take u long

Zjof

01-09-2010

Thank you for the quick replies. I think I will start building my runebook somewhere at level 15-20 with tier 1 runes. Skip tier 2 alltogether and go for replace with tier 3 at level 30. Hero swapping shouldn't be a problem because I prefer a cdr over a ap build on Ryze. As pointed about before, allot of champs like cdr.

thank you for the replies.

-Zjof

DontMashMe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-09-2010

IMO you should get runes @ lvl 20 to buy tier 3 ones. You should have a lot of IP and your runebook will be filled with tier 3s. Too bad I didn't do that =(