[Guide] AP Yi, possibly the most underrated in game?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Superdadd

01-14-2011

You can't touch an AP yi early laning. He Q's the closest minion, and instantly runs back, and by the time you are hit, he's 2000 range away.

And Fail for trying to mention specific 5 person comps that counter ONE hero. That doesn't make him non-viable, it makes your example extremely low probability. Plus, CC is the reason why I advocate for cleanse in my summoner spell section.

You Q in, they drop 5 CC's on you, you pop cleanse, R out, W heal at safety and laugh as all their CC was just wasted while my team rips them apart (and I myself Q back in).

And you don't need CC as Yi. If you want CC, grab a red buff and slow their entire team in a microsecond. Corki also has no CC, does that make him non-viable? I don't think so. He's quite a dominant carry and high ELO.

And if you are talking about AP per second comparisons, try calculating how much AP per second a 1:1 ratio Q nuke is, with an instantaenous 1:1 lichbane proc, followed by an hero dying and an instantaenous Q again. That's 3 AP in a microsecond, and it happens A LOT. Then you pop R and 2 seconds later you get another 1:1 AP lichbane procs, which kills someone, and you Q again. So in 2 seconds, you get 2 lichbane procs (one at T=0, one at T=2 sec), and four Q's. That's 6.0 AP in 2 seconds. Nobody comes close to that.... and that happens... a lot.

Anyone that thinks Q has a 6-8 second cooldown simply has no clue. I pop 2-3 Q's within the first few seconds of a teamfight if my team has good focus fire. Their whole team is in the 25% range in a few seconds. Maybe you are playing bad Yi's that aren't taking advantage of R refreshing Q. That's a huge difference in dps... like 200-300% in burst scenarios.

BTW, I'm trying really hard not to just come blindly countering stuff, but I do have to speak up against blind generalizations that blatently aren't true. To me he's one of the safety heroes in the game - at least with cleanse to break CC's, and R to ensure you get out - and that's not even mentioning flash. He's BEYOND safe.

Menil

01-14-2011

I kinda like AP Yi's early game more, but AD Yi's late game more.

The solution is thus to play like this early game with a meki pendant, get a chalice and boots, then take AD items. Alpha strike first priority, meditate second, you can probably leave both at 4 while you max out Wuju style.

Yes, I've played AP yi. Yes, he can deal ridiculous damage with, and probably the key point, a lichbane. The thing is that if you build him mostly damage items(except with the chalice I like to have to semi-spam alpha strike and meditate), you have much safer sustained damage that tends not to rely on you killing someone with an alpha strike + lichbane.

Both Yi's can get focused down with focus fire just like anyone else, the difference is that an AD yi deals just as much damage in a more sustained way.

Also for the record, cleanse doesn't provide you immunity to being burst down in an instant as you run in there, and really only newbs would use five crowd control effects on you at the same time.

SirCumference

01-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdadd View Post
You can't touch an AP yi early laning. He Q's the closest minion, and instantly runs back, and by the time you are hit, he's 2000 range away.

And Fail for trying to mention specific 5 person comps that counter ONE hero. That doesn't make him non-viable, it makes your example extremely low probability. Plus, CC is the reason why I advocate for cleanse in my summoner spell section.

You Q in, they drop 5 CC's on you, you pop cleanse, R out, W heal at safety and laugh as all their CC was just wasted while my team rips them apart (and I myself Q back in).

And you don't need CC as Yi. If you want CC, grab a red buff and slow their entire team in a microsecond. Corki also has no CC, does that make him non-viable? I don't think so. He's quite a dominant carry and high ELO.

And if you are talking about AP per second comparisons, try calculating how much AP per second a 1:1 ratio Q nuke is, with an instantaenous 1:1 lichbane proc, followed by an hero dying and an instantaenous Q again. That's 3 AP in a microsecond, and it happens A LOT. Then you pop R and 2 seconds later you get another 1:1 AP lichbane procs, which kills someone, and you Q again. So in 2 seconds, you get 2 lichbane procs (one at T=0, one at T=2 sec), and four Q's. That's 6.0 AP in 2 seconds. Nobody comes close to that.... and that happens... a lot.

Anyone that thinks Q has a 6-8 second cooldown simply has no clue. I pop 2-3 Q's within the first few seconds of a teamfight if my team has good focus fire. Their whole team is in the 25% range in a few seconds. Maybe you are playing bad Yi's that aren't taking advantage of R refreshing Q. That's a huge difference in dps... like 200-300% in burst scenarios.

BTW, I'm trying really hard not to just come blindly countering stuff, but I do have to speak up against blind generalizations that blatently aren't true. To me he's one of the safety heroes in the game - at least with cleanse to break CC's, and R to ensure you get out - and that's not even mentioning flash. He's BEYOND safe.
I don't think you understand. You will not get close enough to a minion to use Q without being harrassed by other actual AP heroes. Try and get close to a creep to hit Q and see if you don't get lit up by someone who knows to to play an AP caster and even when you do manage to there are more than 4 creeps in a wave and your ONE 'nuke' doesn't do significant damage. Your lichbane scenrio is rediculous. Any hero can use lichbane and get a proc Yi has no special benefits from it and is worse with it than most.

If you think you can prove me wrong let's play a practice game together. I'll outlane you with at least 5 casters and some non casters if you want. Yi can be a good carry and a half decent laner as AP but he is not a good laner at all and AP on him sucks.

Even in your best scenario of repeatedly killing heroes with Yi's alpha strike so that you can refresh it instantly and be able to use it instantly with another hero in range he still will not deal more damage than a real burst caster or a real AOE dmg caster. The animation of alpha strike just takes too long.

Let's just make this real simple. Tell me how you're going to kill Fiddlesticks 1v1 or even do more aoe or single target dmg than him as AP......

you can't.

EasymodeX

01-14-2011

Quote:
Except for the part where you have around 2 full seconds to move into position and smash his face in when Alpha Strike ends. Most champions have more than one ability to harass with while laning. They will out-damage the Alpha Strike, IF the Alpha Strike even hits them due to RNG.

Also, if Yi is staying safe by staying 2000 range away, he is also losing a ****ton of XP/gold.

Take a simple laning example: Yi runs up and does a perfect Q on a creep. Pantheon runs up to where Yi launched Q from, and HSS combos Yi into the ****ing ground. Pantheon takes, say, 150 damage. Yi takes 400 damage. zzzz.

Take another simple laning example: Yi runs up and does a perfect Q on a creep. Xin Zhao runs up with Q to where Yi launched Q from, and nails Yi with huhuhuknockup. If Yi runs, he combos into his glorious charge of lawls. If Yi fights ... well, a 150 damage Alpha Strike has a tendency to lose against 150+ bonus physical damage and a 100 damage dash nuke.

Do we notice a pattern yet? Players that aren't ****ing ******s know how Alpha Strike works, and will simply walk up and smash your face in when you finish the Alpha. They don't passively hide behind their creeps waiting for you to RNG them into a danger zone after 3 minutes. There's not even a guarantee your Q will actually hit them as they run forward.

Here's another fun laning scenario: Katarina Shunpo's and BB's you with an autoattack for lulz. You press Q. Who does more damage?

Here's a better one: You press Q. Anivia gets a FREE Flashfrost hit because you're a dumbass.

Here's another good one: You press Q. Sivir lands a DOUBLE hit Boomberang instead of a typical single hit because your finishing position on Q is so predictable.

Quote:
Incorrect. You Q in, then they burst your ass to 20%. You smash your face on W to avoid death, and then any random silence/stun breaks your meditate about 1/4th of a second before you hit 0 hp.

Quote:
Corki also has no CC, does that make him non-viable? I don't think so. He's quite a dominant carry and high ELO.
He also ****s out triple the DPS of an AP Yi. Every button Corki presses unloads most of the damage of an Alpha Strike. And Corki presses a button every second on average. From range.

Quote:
And if you are talking about AP per second comparisons, try calculating how much AP per second a 1:1 ratio Q nuke is, with an instantaenous 1:1 lichbane proc, followed by an hero dying and an instantaenous Q again. That's 3 AP in a microsecond, and it happens A LOT.
By microsecond, you mean the 2 full seconds while the first Alpha goes off, followed by an autoattack. You pray that your 600 magic damage and 350 physical damage gibbed a 2000 hp champ with 30% mitigation to your damage so you don't feel like a tool. Then, since your team is the one that's actually being useful, someone dies and you can use another 2-second nuke to deal 600 multitarget damage again.

Total time: 7 seconds. Total damage: 1200 magic damage and 700 physical damage.

Ryze shat out 4k AOE damage in that timeframe.

Quote:
Anyone that thinks Q has a 6-8 second cooldown simply has no clue. I pop 2-3 Q's within the first few seconds of a teamfight if my team has good focus fire.
So what you're saying is that you can do a substantial fraction of an AP nuker's damage, if your team carries you.

That sounds so exciting.

Superdadd

01-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasymodeX View Post
Take a simple laning example: Yi runs up and does a perfect Q on a creep. Pantheon runs up to where Yi launched Q from, and HSS combos Yi into the ****ing ground. Pantheon takes, say, 150 damage. Yi takes 400 damage. zzzz.
Then Yi hits W and is healed for most of if not all of that damage.

Quote:
Take another simple laning example: Yi runs up and does a perfect Q on a creep. Xin Zhao runs up with Q to where Yi launched Q from, and nails Yi with huhuhuknockup. If Yi runs, he combos into his glorious charge of lawls. If Yi fights ... well, a 150 damage Alpha Strike has a tendency to lose against 150+ bonus physical damage and a 100 damage dash nuke.
These are all specific examples, and more importantly are all related to *just about any hero in the game*, including AD Yi. All these issues are exaccerbated on AD Yi.

The fact is, I can say the same thing. Say we're level 5 (which is about what your example is, since Xin is using multiple abilities on me) )I can hide in a bush, and pop out with a double-hit on him, he knocks me up, I Q on him, then heal/tank, then Q again. My heal negated almost all the damage he did, and I Q'd him twice. He's definitely taking more damage out of that exchage. And even if I take slightly more, if I make it back to my tower, I heal back up and rince/repeat, while he's OOM.

Again, specific example is specific, and one-sided.

I'm just going by experience, I've NEVER been shut out by anyone in lane. I'll give you that maybe I haven't played the best in the world, but this guide is for the average to great players, and for them, I can do things with AP Yi that easily compare to what they can do to me.

Quote:
Here's another fun laning scenario: Katarina Shunpo's and BB's you with an autoattack for lulz. You press Q. Who does more damage?
About the same, which I then heal with W and erase.

Quote:
Here's a better one: You press Q. Anivia gets a FREE Flashfrost hit because you're a dumbass.
How does she do that when I'm nowhere near her again? She's slow as molasses, and never fights up near my end of the wave, especially not when I've harassed her to half health. I'm not sure saying this on speculation, I've dominated her too many times to tell.

Quote:
Here's another good one: You press Q. Sivir lands a DOUBLE hit Boomberang instead of a typical single hit because your finishing position on Q is so predictable.
Not possible, she'd have to throw it before I Q'd to be fast enough. Try it out, your timing is wrong.

Quote:
Incorrect. You Q in, then they burst your ass to 20%. You smash your face on W to avoid death, and then any random silence/stun breaks your meditate about 1/4th of a second before you hit 0 hp.
No, I Q in, and they can't hit my while I Q. When Q is finished, I'm still in the pack of my team. I would only Q in on top of them if my tank initiated. And I only Q then W tank if I'm SEVERELY ahead, if not, I play way more cautiously than your horrible example of nubness would dictate.

Quote:
By microsecond, you mean the 2 full seconds while the first Alpha goes off,
Alpha is not 2 seconds.

Quote:
followed by an autoattack. You pray that your 600 magic damage and 350 physical damage gibbed a 2000 hp champ with 30% mitigation to your damage so you don't feel like a tool.
By the time they have 2k hp, I'm hitting my Q for over 1000, with penetration.

Quote:
Then, since your team is the one that's actually being useful, someone dies and you can use another 2-second nuke to deal 600 multitarget damage again.

Total time: 7 seconds. Total damage: 1200 magic damage and 700 physical damage.

Ryze shat out 4k AOE damage in that timeframe.
How about more realistic numbers... by the time Ryze can shat out 4k aoe damge, I have roughly 600 AP (likewise he does too), and a lichbane.

So I Q in, 1k dmg. lichbane procs with autoattack ~800dmg. I pop R, lichbane, 800 dmg, plus maybe a few 100 dmg autoattacks. Enemy Dies, Q again, 1k dmg aoe.

If we're talking 7 seconds, I'm easily doing 4k damage at least.

Plus, after he unloads his 4k dmg, he sits around useless as anythign, while I continue Q'ing.

He certainly outbursts me in the first 2 seconds, but so do many champs, veiger, annie, etc. But the difference is, my Q is resetting, I'm autoattacking for way more, way faster, and getting lichbane procs.

There's a reason why I end almost every game with 220k dmg dealt and next closest is around 150k.

Regardless of the actual numbers, which you'd only be able to get by replaying a game (which doesn't exist), I can tell you straight off... I'm usually 30-40% higher than the second highest person in damage dealt at end of the game.

You can argue semantics about each Niche and which Niche hero does that NIche better. I have no doubts that anything Yi can do, SOMEONE can do that one specific thing better. But overall, he does a lot of great things, and doesn't have failings where those other champions have failings.

I mean, you are talking about Ryze's burst aoe... how about when he gets focused? Dude has no escape mechanisms at all. How does he do dmg when he's silenced/stuned, and killed within the stun?

See my point?

Quote:

So what you're saying is that you can do a substantial fraction of an AP nuker's damage, if your team carries you.

That sounds so exciting.
Doing somewhere in the order of 2k damage IN AOE in the first few seconds of a teamfight, while taking the majority of the team's focus fire, is hardly being carried by my team.

How is myself (1/5th of the team) INSTANTLY removing 1/3rd of all their HP anything less than pulling my weight? Even if all I do is Q once and get blown up, I've done more than my share. And that's nightmare worst case scenario.

You know how many times I Q in, and their carry is blown up instantly after, and I Q again instantly? That happens ALL THE TIME. And that's at least 1/2 of the entire team's HP.

I'm sorry if this all reads very argumentative, but your responses were beyond naive, and completely pulled from thin air. Mine may not be 100% accurate either, but somewhere in between is probably where the actuals are, and I'll tell you right now, those actuals are definitely 100% in the realm of making him a very viable option.

FckMan

Recruiter

01-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menil View Post
I kinda like AP Yi's early game more, but AD Yi's late game more.

if you are have enough AP with a lichbane, you can destroy the nexus in 5 or so hits. i play alot of ap shaco lately and had 20 stacks on mejais, deathfire, blue elixir, deathcap, lichbane. buildings get trashed.

all yi gotta do is proc the lichbane, attack, proc proc proc. you are talking at least 500 more damage. at least thats for me cause i dont get lichbane until my core ap shaco build is complete which is sheen/mejais(sometimes both), deathfire, deathcap.

i can see where the OP is going with this ap yi. ppl frown on it just like they frown on ap shaco.

SirCumference

01-14-2011

Quote:
I'm just going by experience, I've NEVER been shut out by anyone in lane
I'm not trying to attack you man but you are way off. I'm going to send you a friend request later today and if you accept next time I see you on we'll do a few practice games and I'll show you how easy it is to shut down AP Yi and that his damage output is a fraction of what other casters can output. All in game results no theory crafting.

hydrogencar

01-14-2011

Quote:
The Truth:
AD Yi says "Afk 30 mins, see you guys at level 18"
AP Yi says "Solo Top pls" then proceeds to dominate his lane 1v2 with a kill or two and carries his team midgame (at least)

. Why not play a "real" mage? The answer? Because Level 5 Alpha strike on AP Yi is the single handedly most OP skill in the entire game. You heard it. I stand by it.

If you are low, head just under your tower, but out a bit... far enough away that they think they can tower dive you. Now blue-pill. They will come for you like a fat kid chasing a twinkie. As soon as they get to you, hit W, pop your armor up to 300ish, tank them, your tower will get some hits in. Then pop R, chase them, and season with a spicy Q to the face.

Wrong. The tower is going to get ONE hit at them. One. Unless you play against morons.

Level 7-11, or whenever laning phase ends:

Keep laning if teamfights haven't started yet, and if they have, go support. You are probably your strongest now that you are ever going to be.

If you have the gold and level advantage, I strongly suggest picking up an early Mejai's at this point, as stacking it is VERY easy and VERY deadly.

Typically, because you are so strong in lane, you are likely level 9 when they are level 6-7, and your Q (espeically if you have any stacks of mejai) are literally half their HP bar.

Level 11-15:

This phase is all about caution. Both teams aren't advancing past their rivers, and are just jungling, and playing cat/mouse. Stick with your team. Anytime you can (if it's relatively safe), pop into their wraiths hit Q and run. Q auto-clears that camp in a microsecond. Do this everytime you can. Think of it as a super powered 4-target smite with better gold return.

Endgame:

By this point, you are either dominating the game or it's back and forth. Feel free to use lichbane to help you tower snipe. You are just as good at this as AD Yi. Remember to pop W for the armor boost. Get in and out fast - they are coming. If they do come, you can always cleanse/flash/R away, as well as Q'ing to something nearby for a little blink.

Pro-tip bait #4 - Lategame Bait: In the lategame, you can bait them by setting up a ward in upper bush (or asking a nearby teamate with wriggles to do it for you). Now run to lower lane tower, and try to snipe it. You just got the attention of their entire team, so get ready, they are coming... as soon as you are low (or only have about 15 seconds until they are on you), head to the closest bush and teleport to the upper ward, W-up to full (and stacking armor), then snipe their upper tower, while their whole team is down at bottom lane trying stop your lower distration-snipe.

I've sniped so many towers like this, I can't count.

Weaknesses:

I would be remiss to write a guide without listing his weaknesses.

If the enemy team stacked MR very early (like by level 9), then your effectiveness will drop. Of course, this severely gimps them, but still.

You will likely get focussed the entire game simply due to your massive threat, because you dominated so early and so fiercely. Sometimes your job is to Q in, blink out, heal up, because you are instantly focussed. That being said, being able to full-bar heal is so strong. This is largely why I recommend Flash and Cleanse, so that you can get out everytime.

I actually think of Yi and a giant Banshee's veil in this regard. He Q's in, takes just about every single spell they have, cleanse/flash out, and heals it back up and Q's back in. If they don't focus you, because they fear your W tanking, then feel free to have a hay-day with Q spamming due to R refreshing it.

Summary:

So why go AP Yi over AD Yi?

Think of AP Yi as Eve without the stealth, with an AOE Ravage, that has 2000 range, a full-bar heal, and who, instead of royally sucking from level 1-5, is arguably the single strongest hero in the game from 1-5. Considering most good players get oracles, the only good side of Eve just went away.

Yi snowballs amazing given his insane early game power (possibly better than anyone else). 4-5 stacks on a Mejai's by level 11 is scariest on AP Yi than anyone. He has a 1:1 ratio AOE huge range spell, plus a full-bar heal, and one of the best chase mechanisms in the game. You just aren't getting away from him, and you start every fight at 1/2 hp.

AD Yi avoids teamfights so he can farm into a useful player at level 18, leaving your entire team 4v5 for the duration of his farm. AP Yi dominates early, and can end the game effectively at level 11, plus still has the abilitly to carry lategame in the same way an AP Eve can.

AP Yi can harass tower defensing opposition very very effectively. Just Q on a creep just at or outside their tower range, and you'll pop in and snipe out little 1/3rd chunks of their life. I liken this to what a Lux or Niladee does. Chip Chip Chip, then bam team iniates with them softened up and you dominate the teamfight under their tower.

I think the only reason AP Yi isn't getting any attention is because for some reason people just dismiss him without any knowledge/experience. They are very ignorant. This is great for me though, because if you ask me, AP Yi is the single most overpowered thing in this game right now.

No other hero can dominate a lane to the extent that he can, snowball as early as he can, PLUS have the ability to carry lategame, tower snipe with the best of them, all with such a low risk, high range, high damage (1:1 ratio aoe) overpowered skill as alpha strike.

Questions, comments?
Bold part = Bullsht.

Okay. There's a lot of mistakes on your guide, and if I state them all I'm going to be still typing on this post tomorrow. So let's only do the most obvious ones.

AP Yi does not carry as hard late game, as you think.
Stop comparing ANYTHING ON THIS WORLD to AP Eve.
AP Eve is complete GARBAGE. AD Eve is awesomesauce. And if you join the fight at the right time (when the person with oracle got CCd) you won't be countered that hard with Oracles. AD Eve also has more survivability.

AD Yi does not need to farm 30 mins to get useful. He's not Tryndamere.
He's drops towers like a boss, can push lanes really hard and he IS useful in teamfights. Even if it means joining the fight 3-4 seconds later, he's going to deal massive amounts of damage in just a few seconds. 2 Dorans Rings,Starks/Black Cleaver/Banshees. Nuff said.

You are making Yi's heal look too good. It's a channel. Think of the things that can cancel Katarinas ult. (powerball,grab,fling,tristanas ult,silences,stuns,taunts and much more) The same things can cancel Yi's heal. Not that great, except during laning.

You can only carry with AP Yi late game if you got ridiculously fed.

I've never seen AP Yi (OR AD Yi !!!) do any good in 2000 Elo though. He's just inferior then most champions. AP Yi is not useless but outshined in high Elo by many many other champions. Same with AD Yi.

Also 2-3x Dorans Ring (assuming you have runes) > Chalice.

Shagrarz

01-14-2011

The reason that we frown on AP Shaco and Yi is because they are kind've gimmicky. When people try gimmicky things for the first few times after hearing about it, they are likely to do VERY bad. We have all seen TERRIBLE AP Shacos, and a select few good ones. Not only have I never played with/against a good AP Yi, I have never even seen a bad one. As such I can't (rather shouldn't) speak ill of something that I have only heard theory on (and more than likely exaggerated theory at that)...and neither should any of the others who read this thread.

In theory, it sounds like it could be viable as long as your team understands your role prior to the match.

In regards to the OP's comment about the stunlock team...its never just to counter one person. People play it all the time, and push people's feces in with it. Even your precious cleanse would not save you then...because if a stunlock comp wants you dead, they will feast upon your soul.

Zyphier

01-14-2011

From reading your guide, it sounds that your team usually has quite the upper hand in initiating team battles. I'd just like to remind you that although AP Yi may benefit more than your usual casters from bursting a few guys to refresh your cooldowns, I can imagine some situations where you don't get a kill fast enough, and you don't do enough burst damage during the crucial first few seconds of a fight.

Imagine if Malphite or Amumu initiates on top of your team, you Alpha Strike and R, there's tons of CC you cleans run out and no one is dead yet because its messy fight. Now compared to other casters, you won't be able to add that extra amount of burst that kills the first guy. In prolonged fights against tanky teams, I have a feeling you won't be able to perform that well because you're waiting for Q to cooldown while your team gets gets raped.

Also, Mejai's can kind of distort the story you're telling. I'm not sure what skill level players you're fighting against, and because of this I'm slightly skeptical about your OP claims. If you've outskilled your opponents up till now, then Mejai stacks can distort much of the builds effectiveness. Against smart players who give you few kills, AP Yi may fail hard without enough stacks, since you're relying entirely on one AP skill. Kassadin is one of the few heroes who can pick up and preserve the Mejai stacks effectively in a more competitive environment, and somehow with AP Yi I imagine it to be much harder to sustain.

However, let me say that this build does have some semblance of practical viability. With smart use of Cleanse and Flash, W and R, AP Yi has something that nearly all the casters don't have, mobility and sustainability. I can see how the combination of Flash, Cleanse and R will make you an insane pain to kill in team fights, especially with a tank around. Coupled with heal, you can make comebacks in team fights pretty easily. The only problem I see is the burst if people don't go down fast enough and you don't get any cooldown refresh.

Also for those who are skeptical of the heal, I think nearly all heroes will not be able to send Yi home in a 1v1 lane, unless Yi wants to go home. With enough mana regeneration I think solo Yi definitely has a strong lane presence. However, your mana can be stretched if you're forced to spam Q and W to keep up against a well built soloist, I'm not sure if you're mana regeneration can hold up against high and sustained usage. The solo Xin is a pretty good example, he will be healing as he attacks creeps, so if built right I think he can and will stretch your mana really far.