Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

A conclusion to the Team Builder Captain requirements experiment!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

04-10-2014

<div class="legacy-vbulletin"> <div class="article-body"> <p>Hey everyone,</p><p>When we first launched Team Builder, we saw an overwhelming number of Captains and not enough Solo players to fill out teams. For the past week, we've been testing an experiment in Team Builder that requires players to invite at least 1 friend to their group to become a Team Builder Captain.</p><p>The experiment saw some queue time improvements; however, we also received a lot of feedback that Solo players enjoy being Captains, and were willing to have longer queue times to have access to that feature set. We also uncovered data showing that a large number of queue time issues were due to players who were high (or low) MMR not being handled well by the matchmaker.</p><p>In light of the data and feedback, we're going to stop the experiment and go back to allowing anyone to be Captains for the time being; however, we'll be working on the following features to improve queue times:</p><ol><li>We'll be working on a way for Solo players to see what roles and positions are currently in demand, allowing players to "fill" for teams.</li><li>We'll be working on a way for the system to suggest more Captains or Solos depending on what's currently needed.</li><li>We'll be optimizing the matchmaker specifically for Team Builder, to solve the issues with high and low MMR players having trouble getting paired onto teams (or finding teammates for their teams).</li></ol><p>As a quick reminder, Team Builder is a living system. We want to continue working on improvements to the system, whether it's optimizations or new features but because of the constant experimentation, there's going to be rough patches here and there once in a while--please be patient, give us feedback and help us make this the best system it can be.</p><p>See you in Team Builder,</p><p>Lyte</p> <style type="text/css"> .article-body .region-na, .article-body .region-br, .article-body .region-eune, .article-body .region-euw, .article-body .region-tr { display:none; } </style> </div> </div>

Feed Zac Candy

04-10-2014

Cool

Pkmnjaja

04-10-2014

say hi to ur mother from me

NasusTopOnlyQC

04-10-2014

why cant we a have a way to play ranked for the role u want... that way there's no 3 top main in the same team 1 game on 5...

must not be too hard... queue the role you want, get into draft select with all prefered role... still possible to switch if necessary...

AceBlack

04-10-2014

Hey Lyte, could you work on improving the balance of certain teams?

For example: say I want to take an AP top like Singed or Lissandra. But if I get matched with...say...an Elise jungle, a Leblanc "support", and a Lux mid or something, it becomes really really hard to win when you only have one source of AD damage.

Soldrart

04-10-2014

A fill option... I like it.
One thing that I'd kinda be interested in, although can understand if it's not convenient: Allowing groups, even if it's just duos, to not be captains and just queue up? When I first thought of it it seemed like a great idea, more I thought about it the more stupid it became... but hey I'll throw it out there.

l Xynorph l

04-10-2014

i would like it if there was an option to have a second pick that you would play if you chose to enable it if queue times were to long.
i can see how this could essentially double the people queuing up and it might make more server load. but it would be a cool thing to implement
Edit: also would be nice if you were fine playing two champs but leaning toward your first pick

Knuckle Soldier

04-10-2014

Well whats whats the level requirement to play team builder now? It keeps telling me I'm not at the specified level requirement to play.

l Xynorph l

04-10-2014

Quote:
AceBlack:
Hey Lyte, could you work on improving the balance of certain teams?

For example: say I want to take an AP top like Singed or Lissandra. But if I get matched with...say...an Elise jungle, a Leblanc "support", and a Lux mid or something, it becomes really really hard to win when you only have one source of AD damage.

the captain is able to deny having them on the team if he so chooses, so this shouldn't be a problem if you can handle waiting a bit longer.

Moons

04-10-2014

Finally, I thought I'd never be able to use TB again.