i have almost 300k IP and riot told me to make a thread about it

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Going Ham

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComatosePhoenix View Post
Sale token is cool.

Why reuse some of the referal awards? buying a place in history seems like a fun idea.
do you mean why not?

Cynicatt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-08-2014

What if they gave us more stuff to buy with IP?
Like... ward skins, summoner icons, various parts of profile themes that could be mixed and matched or sold in bundles for a massive amount of IP, another extra something like borders for the load screen.... stuff like that...

BuboBubo

Business Analyst

04-08-2014
3 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboardowl View Post
it's not supposed to be worth it

it's just supposed to be something ridiculous
Do you think it's worthwhile to distinguish between expensive and ridiculous? My current feeling is that justifiably expensive is okay but offering a "ridiculous" option would damage players' trust in us.

For example, since summoner name changes are purely cosmetic (minus the sheer intimidation factor of being yoloswagmaster420) the high IP cost (both absolute and relative to the RP cost) was considered fair. But what if they cost 40k IP or 80k IP? Even though the additional IP option only increases the options available and can't make a player worse off - Is there a point at which players would interpret it as a trap or "scumbag riot"?

Send Me Lewds

04-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuboBubo View Post
Do you think it's worthwhile to distinguish between expensive and ridiculous? My current feeling is that justifiably expensive is okay but offering a "ridiculous" option would damage players' trust in us.

For example, since summoner name changes are purely cosmetic (minus the sheer intimidation factor of being yoloswagmaster420) the high IP cost (both absolute and relative to the RP cost) was considered fair. But what if they cost 40k IP or 80k IP? Even though the additional IP option only increases the options available and can't make a player worse off - Is there a point at which players would interpret it as a trap or "scumbag riot"?
Yes, there is a point. Though what that point is I haven't a clue.

BuboBubo

Business Analyst

04-08-2014
4 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerothal View Post
I thought that being able to buy small stuff (like the two icons) for IP was great. I dont expect skins, since that's the cash flow that keeps your company alive, but giving small incentives like the icons and name changes is awesome!
Glad you liked those! Admittedly they are small things, but happily in this case, small also meant low risk and easy to implement.

aceofsween

04-08-2014

Here's a potential solution for you...

When someone reaches the point at which IP are no longer of value (meaning they have purchased everything they possibly can with IP), their account no longer gains any IP at all from matches, but starts gaining small amounts of RP instead. Like 1 to 5 per game or something along those lines. Any IP they have gets converted to RP at a standard rate. (I have no idea what sort of standard rate that would be.)

You would have to work in something for new champion releases (or in the very rare case, new runes), but this would ultimately be a better solution than just having hundreds of thousands of useless credits.

Cuix

04-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerothal View Post
I thought that being able to buy small stuff (like the two icons) for IP was great. I dont expect skins, since that's the cash flow that keeps your company alive, but giving small incentives like the icons and name changes is awesome!
Yeah, all of that cosmetic stuff is awesome! It's cool that we can play a game we enjoy and show a bit of flair, sometimes supporting pro teams we enjoy.

I wish there was half as much justification for the massive IP prices of runes and champions, given how slowly IP accumulates. That topic has been around for half a decade (literally, I think), and the discussion about it has been "maybe some day we'll talk about it" and a brief "Nuh-uh!" two years ago or so.

Katasumai

04-09-2014

as myself a player who has little use of IP for things except when new champs are released.

Lesbian Vi

04-09-2014

Or Riot can just let you give IP as gifts? Gift me 15-20K please

BRBGTGBOWFLEX

04-09-2014

I think things like icons and ward skins might be a good place to look.

That or something novel needs to be done with the rune system. To be honest, I'd rather see it replaced with something like a Perks system rather than its present state. I.E. +15% Movespeed in River, +15% Movespeed in bushes, Using your Q increases your AA range by 100 for x seconds, stuff like that.

The rune system is the big IP sink, but the system itself is just so underwhelming because runes can't really provide unique/tailored advantages in their present state (Movespeed and Lifesteal are the two current exceptions).