Guinsoo is working on Fiora

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

tallgiraffe29

04-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient Eons View Post
As someone who's been fencing for a while now, her current kit is a terrible "fencing" kit. And I like where he's going with the rework. Plus, fencing matches are rarely "10 seconds of fight," depending on your level of skill and which weapon you're fencing with. I've had a match go for about 5 minutes (including overtime) before, and it was only a 5 touch match, when several formats will go for 15 touches.
I am a fencer IRL too, and if swords were like they were in the beggining of fencing in 10 seconds u are dead and the duel is over. Fiora is supposed to be a true fencer, not a sport fencer which is based on touches just like you said.

And I totally agree she needs a new kit without a doubt.

Knight Auditor

04-06-2014

Have you considered incorporating a taunt into her kit? It seems like an optimal use based on Fiora's core theme, far moreso than it is on the kits where it's presently implemented. I understand why you would be wary of any hard CC on such a champion, but it's just so... her.

By the way, I was pretty much ready to quit this game. Fiora's the reason I began playing, and hearing that she's getting reworked is enough to keep me interested. Treat her like a gentleman, Guinsoo.

Troy242621

04-06-2014

Quote:
As someone who's been fencing for a while now, her current kit is a terrible "fencing" kit. And I like where he's going with the rework. Plus, fencing matches are rarely "10 seconds of fight," depending on your level of skill and which weapon you're fencing with. I've had a match go for about 5 minutes (including overtime) before, and it was only a 5 touch match, when several formats will go for 15 touches.
REAL duelists: One or two "Touches" and your life is now over. I don't think Fiora can do that and still be balanced >:P.

On topic, I DO like where Guinsoo is taking her. If she actually becomes a duelist, that'd be fantastic. Weaving with a disengage and engage would certainly marry her sword prowess with the elegance and finesse Fiora always boasts about having. Might even still remain a solid jungler to boot, depending on the damage output.

THIS ALL SAID, I feel she should still remain a pure damage-based champion. The fact she ONLY has damage and no cc/utility really opens her power budget up. I think that IS part of her identity.

Transient Eons

04-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallgiraffe29 View Post
I am a fencer IRL too, and if swords were like they were in the beginning of fencing in 10 seconds u are dead and the duel is over. Fiora is supposed to be a true fencer, not a sport fencer which is based on touches just like you said.

And I totally agree she needs a new kit without a doubt.
If swords were sharp, yes duels would be much shorter, but again, it would depend on the weapon used and the skill of the fencers. For example, saber and foil matches tend to have much shorter times in between touches than the epee.

I suppose it depends on which weapon fiora is supposed to be based off of.

Guinsoo, which weapon does fiora wield?

Troy242621

04-06-2014

Quote:
If swords were sharp, yes duels would be much shorter, but again, it would depend on the weapon used and the skill of the fencers. For example, saber and foil matches tend to have much shorter times in between touches than the epee.

I THINK he referred to it as a rapier.

tallgiraffe29

04-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy242621 View Post
REAL duelists: One "Touch" and your life is now over. I don't think Fiora can do that and still be balanced >:P.
Exactly my point, and that is an assassin. Basically a duel of fencers is a duel of 2 assassins.. A really fast fight which at the smallest mistake you die. But of course, this is a game and can be balanced as every other assassin you have in game..

Narasimha

04-06-2014

Quote:

Based off her current movements, I'd say saber. Her movements seem more deliberate and heavy, and she doesn't retreat. Then again, I do foil, so what do I know?

Jetrel63

04-06-2014

Every ****ing time i find a champ i enjoy playing they get ****ing gutted or olaf'd. Goddamnit.

Troy242621

04-06-2014

Pardon my ignorance, but could either of you explain to me the differences between the weapons duelists use? I'v heard of rapiers, sabers and so fourth, but my knowledge on actual duelists is lacking.

The Abyss Lord

04-06-2014

as long as Scruffy stays out of the rework, i think the new fiora will be good.