Guinsoo is working on Fiora

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Teemo is Life

04-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinsoo View Post
You didn't ask any questions, you just listed a bunch of suggestions. I read your post and absorbed it (like all the others in this thread), I just don't think there's a ton of value in replying to specific suggestion posts.
Okay I still love you baby

Why does the current Riposte do damage back? Make it 2 or 3 autos canceled with no damage returned

OGZ Bob Gnarly

04-04-2014

Quote:
Here are 3 reasons off the top of my head to pick her over Yasuo. Please note I'm talking about her new kit with new abilities, not her old kit with a new ultimate. I just spoiled the ultimate for funsies
1) Kayle ult with a few catches on a normal slot
2) Weaker engage, but much stickier than Yasuo
3) Built in disengage
My assumptions!

1. Riposte becomes a skill where she effectively enters stasis and is unable to move/attack for a short duration, and if hit during that time, is capable of nulling the damage and counter attacking for major damage.

2. Lunge will stay more or less as it is on live.

3. Movement skill a la Quinn's Vault.

Mirage Night

04-04-2014

Will She retain sustain in so some form of healing, or will she get it from mitigation like Riven and Yasuo?

Hellioning

04-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Night View Post
How will she compete with manaless fighters. I am kinda lay this out here now. Mana on melee champions has been a huge disappointment. I believe they should rely completely on another stile of resource that is charges up and down.
I'd prefer if they just removed resourceless champions all together and make everyone rely on mana.

Seriously, I think outside of Garen and maybe Kat, all of them have been balance issues. I still get a laugh at CertainlyT says that Yasuo was gated by 'the need to act' instead of mana or cooldowns. I'm sorry, 'he can infinitely poke his opponent down, but that's okay because he has to in order to win!' is stupid as all hell.

Mirage Night

04-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellioning View Post
I'd prefer if they just removed resourceless champions all together and make everyone rely on mana.

Seriously, I think outside of Garen and maybe Kat, all of them have been balance issues. I still get a laugh at CertainlyT says that Yasuo was gated by 'the need to act' instead of mana or cooldowns. I'm sorry, 'he can infinitely poke his opponent down, but that's okay because he has to in order to win!' is stupid as all hell.
Frankly feel the opposite, but that the difference in play styles. Ranged mages and adcs have an innate strength within there design to allow resource management reasonable and ideal. Melee inherently are at a disadvantage due to the nature of the game.

In addition, the point of being a fighter, is to be able to do so. Long drawn out fight should be their specialty. Resource management, may be an aspect, but it shouldn't be the end all an be all of a fight for them.

Sir Hammerlock

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-04-2014

Good to see you again, Guinsoo - I've been a fan of your work since I played Twitch back in 2010, been one of my favorites for a long time, even though I'm under a fairly new account.

To come from a design perspective, I really like what you did with Fiora's ultimate. It definitely gives the opponents a lot more counterplay, while at the same time kind of making her "Faceroll" like Ryze.

It also seems to emphasize exactly what I had envisioned a "Duelist" to be.

My question: I noticed it says "Flips Fiora a bit Farther" on a new spell called "Disengage" (Note: I understand you may not be able to reveal this information.) and I was wondering if it worked similarly to Quinn's "Vault", or if it worked opposite?

CHUNKI3

04-04-2014

Quote:
Hi guys. I'd just like to weigh in on what some of the Fiora goals are. The main problems we see with Fiora's current kit are that thematically, she doesn't deliver on the fantasy of being a skilled duelist/fencer, and mechanically, her game presence / play pattern / role doesn't line up with being a skilled duelist/fencer.

As far as the duelist fantasy goes, at least when I think of Fiora, I expect her to be extremely mobile but not just going in, she needs to be good at dancing in, out of, around and about combat. She should be about finding weaknesses in the opponent's play and finding the proper occasion to go on the attack. She shouldn't be about running in and bursting enemies down, she should be dealing high, steady DPS over time that is relatively target agnostic.

Mechanically speaking, I'd expect a duelist type champion to be mechanically intense. I expect opportunities to use my abilities at optimal times to counter out the enemy's champion. I want to have a lot to keep track of, but with clear success cases when I do well.

At the end of the day, live Fiora is a ball of stats with some untargetability thrown in; she pushes her buttons pretty much as fast as she can without a second thought, and she's also extremely snowballey. In short, she's bland with no cool opportunities to exchange gameplay between her and her lane opponent.

Some of the current goals including switching Fiora from an assassin to a melee DPS, and moving her lane from top to mid/jungle, and adding tons of 'outplay' functionality on her kit, as well as more mobility especially in terms of being able to disengage and re-engage at optimal times.

I can't share too much of exactly what the plans are for her kit, as I'm sure it's going to change tons during development, but I'll leave this here to hopefully stir up some excitement for our favorite rapier wielder. Also bear in mind this is an early, experimental Blade Waltz, and could certainly change drastically between now and remake launch time.

I also understand it's hard to understand exactly what this sample Blade Waltz does, given the lack of context on her basic spells... but rest assured, there are significant tweaks (or more) to all 4 of the other abilities, so hopefully your imaginations run wild
I feel like fioras new disengage will be like neiths "3" ability from smite, like a flip backwards

Redeemed In Fire

04-04-2014

For full disclosure, I am a little afraid When your champ roster includes Nunu, Shaco, and Soraka, I can't help but be concerned that I'll hate Fiora after her rework. However, A year off is a long time and I'll try not to hold it against you =p

The McSmashy

04-04-2014

I am so moist. I've loved Fiora since release, studied up on how Universe Within players her and started doing REALLY well again recently, and all this is making me a really, really happy Smashy. It's literally inspirational, this kinda stuff is why I want to get into Game Dev.

JaFaR Ironclad

04-04-2014

Welcome back Guinsoo, and congratulations on the new child.

I'm a Fiora main, and the concept of a rework excites me GREATLY. I've always felt that her kit didn't adequately convey the fencing fantasy, so we are in agreement that a rework is needed.

Also, I'm based in LA and have fencing experience (part of the reason I gravitated towards Fiora), so if you do focus-group testing on the rework before she goes on PBE I'd love to help test. I'm also versed in game development, which could be helpful feedback-wise.