Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

AMAM - 60 Advanced Tips to Improve in ARAM Games

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MattJumps

04-29-2014

Gonna go ahead and bump this to keep this near the top, EVERY ARAM PLAYER NEEDS TO READ THIS.

The whole thing about the proper way to die is great, learning how to beat poke comps even better.

Bions

04-29-2014

This is What is a Wolf.

Riot has seen fit to ban my main account from the forums for an unknown reason, so I'll be using my smurf account Bions to reply to questions while I contact their customer support. I will be copying and pasting this message right before each of my posts to make sure people know I'm the one responding.

Quote:
Euthrosyne:
I don't believe she should be classified as an AP carry any more.

The reason she was put there was because her damage is majorly magical, not because of the way we build her. Whenever we roll a very weak melee champion with no waveclear and poor laning, we usually consider them as an "auraslave". Locket, Abyssal to a Sheen item is usually how we would build her. We also run hybrid penetration marks and quins since her E is actually physical and she can autoattack sometimes like you mentioned.

So in a way she's not really an AP carry since we don't give her straight up AP items, we just decided to put her there because similar champions were put there as well (like Rumble, Morde, Swain, Ryze). But of course having said all that, just because she's in AP Carry doesn't mean that we don't sometimes get Triforce or Youmuus or build her full tank, it's just because she is better with magical pen runes than armor pen because you max her Q first and your R does % magical dmg. Hybrid pen is better but very few people have them.

At first she looks very much like Malphite (no waveclear and waits for targets to bunch up before engaging) but her kit isn't tailored around getting tanky like Malphite is, so we decided against it and just put her with the other tanky mages.
Quote:
Jeddite:
The shortest and most reliable answer is: "build according to what your team needs". If your team needs AD, build AD. If your team needs AP, build AP.

I would say this is only partly true.

In my opinion, it is better to have 5 decent AP's than having 4 decent AP's and a terrible AD. Kog can be a very powerful AD hypercarry, but only if you have teammates to peel for you. For instance, if your team is Naut, Leona, Syndra and Brand, it's safe to assume that you will have enough peeling from your allies to safely auto-attack, but if your team is like Nid, Cass, Vel'Koz and Xer, I would highly recommend still going AP and just rushing void staves to play the poke/disengage game. Even if you can auto-attack, having no peelers in your team will make your life very hard when you have bruisers on your face.

So yeah, conditions for going AD on Kog is 1- having no other AD's and 2- having champs that can handle burst and bruising done to you.

Euthrosyne

04-29-2014

Even though the majority of Eve's damage is classified as magical, is it still right to throw her under that classification of a carry when she can perform other roles more effectively? Auraslaves generally aren't renowned for carry-like damage, and more often end up Tanky. Moreover, to throw tanky APs under the AP carry section does an injustice to what they can do that AP carries can't. (That is, if what tanky AP's do has any value...)

It's like saying, I have a bunch of oranges and and some tangerines, but I'm going to judge the tangerine how I would judge an orange because the two are related and oranges are better. Granted, it makes making the tier list much easier, so I can't argue with how you made the list. Bruisers don't exactly have a home on the Howling Abyss, unlike any other mode. .-.

Bions

04-29-2014

This is What is a Wolf.

Riot has seen fit to ban my main account from the forums for an unknown reason, so I'll be using my smurf account Bions to reply to questions while I contact their customer support. I will be copying and pasting this message right before each of my posts to make sure people know I'm the one responding.

Quote:
Euthrosyne:
Even though the majority of Eve's damage is classified as magical, is it still right to throw her under that classification of a carry when she can perform other roles more effectively? Auraslaves generally aren't renowned for carry-like damage, and more often end up Tanky. Moreover, to throw tanky APs under the AP carry section does an injustice to what they can do that AP carries can't. (That is, if what tanky AP's do has any value...)

If we sent Eve in the Tank section just because of how she is built, we'd have to do the same with Swain, Ryze, Vlad, Nasus, Rumble, Diana, Morde and Akali. We have to consider their kit as well. You could argue than Pantheon, Wukong, Vi, Xin, Yasuo and Nunu should all be put into their respective class as well, but more often than not, we realized we built those champs almost always as pure tanks anyways even if their kit didn't allow it. That wasn't the case for eve and rumble. They can be Aegis bots, but you almost always get pen and damage after that.
Quote:
Euthrosyne:
It's like saying, I have a bunch of oranges and and some tangerines, but I'm going to judge the tangerine how I would judge an orange because the two are related and oranges are better. Granted, it makes making the tier list much easier, so I can't argue with how you made the list. Bruisers don't exactly have a home on the Howling Abyss, unlike any other mode. .-.

That's a good comparison, however, it is sometimes easier for a child to recognize a given fruit as an orange rather than memorizing what oranges, tangerines and manderines are like, especially when you're trying to give out as much information in as little space possible. I'm not comparing our readers to children, I'm just trying to make it very simple for someone who is not experienced.

We could separate champion classes even more by having them be peeler/ad bruiser/ap bruisers tanks, hypercarry/blue AD's, high dps/burst AP's, but that's just too much information, even if that would make for a very complete tier list. I don't want a guy who's reading this tier list for the first time to think he should rush a Sunfire on Eve just because she's in the tank section. I already mentioned in the 60 tips that melees should always be built tanky anyways, so people should click when they roll a Diana, Akali or Eve, even if they're classed as AP carries.

Domustie

04-29-2014

[QUOTE=Bions;46801186]This is What is a Wolf.

Riot has seen fit to ban my main account from the forums for an unknown reason, so I'll be using this one to reply to questions while I contact their customer support.
QUOTE]

That's weird. Why/how is Bions letting you use his account in risk of public knowledge of it?

Bions

04-29-2014

Quote:
Domustie:
That's weird. Why/how is Bions letting you use his account in risk of public knowledge of it?

Bions isn't a different person, it's one of my many smurfs.

Domustie

04-29-2014

Sincere post:
Embarrassing for me. Sorry about the things I said about your main account to your alt account.

Iceborn Pippin

04-30-2014

TIP FOR ALL TANKS: Build the proper defenses. You would think this would be a no brainer but you got those times where for instance a Leona or a Taric will build armor and one magic resistance item against an AP HEAVY team. I cannot stress this enough as I have seen games lost on ARAM because the TANK didn't build proper defenses for his teammates.

Mandaari

04-30-2014

Finally decided to give this a full read. My tips:

Quote:
50- If you have a poke-oriented team, try to avoid a fight at all cost and favor disengage over engage. This is the reason why high poke champs have a winrate of ~65% instead of 80%. If needed, ask your tank to not initiate when you notice that your fights are becoming harder.

1) Add the latter part of that to the tank section as well. Something that always makes me facepalm is when a tank throws away your poke advantage by engaging.

2) If you have a "waveclear till 6" champion then almost always consider picking up sustain. Akali with a revolver and pots might not get you kills right off the bat, but you probably won't be giving up any either.

3) Giant's belt + rejuv (x2 or pots) is a very good start on most tanks. Getting a giant's belt alone usually means you're good for one engage, wait for 3:10, and then hog the health relics. Don't be that guy. Both items are more than likely in your build anyway.

4) The section about APCs letting ADCs lifesteal applies to ADCs letting APCs spellvamp.

Bions

04-30-2014

This is What is a Wolf.

Quote:
Domustie:
Sincere post:
Embarrassing for me. Sorry about the things I said about your main account to your alt account.

Don't worry about it mate :P
Quote:
Mandaari:
1) Add the latter part of that to the tank section as well. Something that always makes me facepalm is when a tank throws away your poke advantage by engaging.

I agree with this. I will do so as soon as I get my account back.
Quote:
Mandaari:

2) If you have a "waveclear till 6" champion then almost always consider picking up sustain. Akali with a revolver and pots might not get you kills right off the bat, but you probably won't be giving up any either.

3) Giant's belt + rejuv (x2 or pots) is a very good start on most tanks. Getting a giant's belt alone usually means you're good for one engage, wait for 3:10, and then hog the health relics. Don't be that guy. Both items are more than likely in your build anyway.

Usually, for champions that don't start with Chalice, I think it's better to start with items that will allow you to buy Aegis on your first trip back. Ever since the aegis component change, I usually start with Ruby+Negatron+Regrowth+Pots, which is VERY cost efficient since you go in lane with mr, hp and sustain. It's very com^parable to your giant's belt, but you can use those items on your first item rather than your 2nd or 3rd.

Giants+Regrowth+Pots opener was an extremely potent start back when Warmogs was an item you could buy in HA. Now, the Giants belt can only be built in an Omen pretty much.