The Gragas Followup Thread

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RickDodger

04-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xohs View Post
That's more of a theme. Gragas doesn't have a identity. Is he a long ranged mage? A magical tank? CC heavy utility mage? He kinda just picks from every tree, but doesn't seem to do anything well.
It's what one would say 'jack of trades, master of none'. The items you pick decide his specialty based on player skill level.

Xohs

04-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDodger View Post
It's what one would say 'jack of trades, master of none'. The items you pick decide his specialty based on player skill level.
Problem is, that doesn't work well with his current kit. If you build him tank there's not much more reason to use him over just about any other dedicated tank, he doesn't do enough damage in the later parts of the game to be justified as a mage, and his kit requires him to get in close so he needs to be durable. I duuno, it seems like he wants to be a bruiser, but still lacks certain aspects for the fit.

Also, going from a mobile long ranged mage to a CC heavy jack of all trades is kind of a stretch.

atomicguppy

04-04-2014

Quote:
RickDodger

If one did that then it would make it pointless to build a lich bane or iceborn gauntlet on him. Lich bane can mitigate his mobility issue since it grants a good mobility buff to begin with, as well as more damage when you use your on-hit effect to make a seriously heavy casket falling on the enemy in one smack.
So you are saying that he won't be able to use sheen procs as effectively with just Q and E then? I guess I don't really feel like there is a situation where I would land a Q or an E without also using W. Maybe I am just not using him to his full potential tho?

I have had quite a bit of success building Iceborn and tanky magic pen items. stuff like sorc boots, guise/liandry and spirit visage. He seems to be at his best when he can use W as many times as possible in a fight, it really chunks people hard.

RickDodger

04-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xohs View Post
Problem is, that doesn't work well with his current kit. If you build him tank there's not much more reason to use him over just about any other dedicated tank, he doesn't do enough damage in the later parts of the game to be justified as a mage, and his kit requires him to get in close so he needs to be durable. I duuno, it seems like he wants to be a bruiser, but still lacks certain aspects for the fit.
Well what I've found myself was the use of a few items to pick from that you can decide on yourself.

Liandry's torment, Rod of ages early game, Frozen heart, Banshee's veil, athena's unholy grail, and mercury threads.

Liandry's torment is very well themed here as it procs well with his Q pokes and peels enemies for around 10% of their health in magic damage after 3 seconds, especially when the slow itself lasts for 2 seconds. Rod of ages is to help with his self healing and mana regeneration due to its passive, and rushing it helps you gain what AP you need to deal damage with your kit, as well as health to be beefy. Frozen heart slows down enemies DPS around you while granting you CDR for more utility and more mana for your sustaining abilities. Banshee's veil goes with the few seconds of DR you get and synergizes with his passive while using abilities. Athena's unholy grail is as is, for AP, for mr, for CDR, and for mana regeneration.

You can substitute that for an abyssal scepter if you know how to balance your abilities well, and you can also trade mercury threads for ninja tabi if you're up against an AD or physical damage oriented team. It's to give gragas good resistances, Hp, and Damage all in one go to better balance out his awkward kit build.

Xohs

04-04-2014

Yeah, I guess I'm still looking for a right fit. Before you made that post I was going to try a Spectral Wraith -> Rod -> Abyssal. Game is now in session, I guess I'll see how I like it.

RickDodger

04-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicguppy View Post
So you are saying that he won't be able to use sheen procs as effectively with just Q and E then? I guess I don't really feel like there is a situation where I would land a Q or an E without also using W. Maybe I am just not using him to his full potential tho?

I have had quite a bit of success building Iceborn and tanky magic pen items. stuff like sorc boots, guise/liandry and spirit visage. He seems to be at his best when he can use W as many times as possible in a fight, it really chunks people hard.
There ya go. If you wanna risk being squishie, you can take zhonya's hourglass with rabadons deathcap while using lich bane, abyssal scepter, and void staff while being a burster and CC spammer. But ONLY if your ally team has a better tank than gragas can be.

theZerbs

04-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcrushed View Post
I feel that the identity was set out already - a brawler that is supposed to mix it up in close range and not just from afar.

If his current tuning does not allows him to do this then we will fix it. Simple as that.

First, let me say the level of activity you are putting into this thread is great. It is nice to know the re-worker is legitimately interested in what the fans think of it. So kudos to that!

Can you talk about the hit box on his E please? This was my biggest issue with the rework. Gragas' former E, when I used it I knew exactly who was going to be damaged and this definitely help secure a ton of kills. This current one feels... wonky. There were times when in the jungle I swore the E would be able to hit one particular minion but doesn't. Any idea of you plan on fixing or fine-tuning this? Also any chance we can get the splash damage back on that Body Slam?

RickDodger

04-04-2014

bump

Dagartru

04-04-2014

Really tried to get use to the new Gragas, but he is nothing that i originally payed for and therefore i am requesting a refund...sad to see Ol' Santa go.

Who's next on the "rework" list?

RickDodger

04-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagartru View Post
Really tried to get use to the new Gragas, but he is nothing that i originally payed for and therefore i am requesting a refund...sad to see Ol' Santa go.

Who's next on the "rework" list?
Stop asking for a refund. You probably just used inspiration points anyway.