Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Hi/Questions of a newbie...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Summoner Bennett

04-03-2014

Hi there, my IGN is Summoner Bennett and I made this account the first of April. I've had previous accounts I've forgotten about/not used in a long time and as a result I'm back at square one and here with questions. I'm a Christian and I tend to be competitive, forgetful, playful, and often times silly and/or stupid. I'm hoping to have a lot of fun playing League of Legends.

With that said, some questions regarding playing come to mind such as these: what are the basics behind Jungling? How do you determine which characters are best suited to what type of role? What are the other game modes and what is the best way to play them? These are all questions I would love to have answered and I'm looking forward to your responses.

IamTitan21

04-04-2014

I don't play jungle myself so I can't really do anything but give you a general over view. The jungler levels by fighting monsters in the jungle, and when they see that one of their lanes is getting pushed (The enemy is getting closer to the jungler's tower), they move in behind the enemy and kill/assist in killing the enemy champion. This often times allows their teammate to get ahead in their lane. However, playing jungle before level 20 is difficult because you do not have the runes you would need to make it much easier.

As far as champions go don't worry about where a specific champion should play (any champ can really play anywhere, but certain champs are better suited for the role). Play against bots to see what champs you like, and from there get on youtube and watch the LCS to see where certain champions should play and to see if any champions interest you. I recommend anklespankin on youtube. As far as I can tell he has played at least each champion once, and does a good job of explaining how champions works in their lane.

Other than the typical summoner's rift (this now includes team builder), there is ARAM which is a straight map with random champions and it essentially is just team fighting. There is dominion which is similar to Domination game modes in first person shooter games. The goal is to hold objectives to get more points than your opponent. Finally there is URF (Ultra Rapid Fire Mode) which was just added recently. You have infinite mana, 80% cooldown reduction on everything (summoner spells, items, etc) and a number of other buffs. I do not reccomend playing this until you have a better understanding of what a majority of the champions do.

If you want someone to play with and/or have more questions feel free to add me I am usually on League even if I am not playing.

Summoner Bennett

04-04-2014

Quote:
IamTitan21:
I don't play jungle myself so I can't really do anything but give you a general over view...

Play against bots to see what champs you like, and from there get on youtube and watch the LCS to see where certain champions should play and to see if any champions interest you...

Other than the typical summoner's rift (this now includes team builder), there is ARAM which is a straight map with random champions and it essentially is just team fighting. There is dominion which is similar to Domination game modes in first person shooter games. The goal is to hold objectives to get more points than your opponent. Finally there is URF (Ultra Rapid Fire Mode) which was just added recently...

If you want someone to play with and/or have more questions feel free to add me I am usually on League even if I am not playing.

Thanks, I'll be sure to take advantage of sharing a game or two with you. The RP I got for hitting level 4 ( I think ) went toward Shaco and thanks to his Jack in the boxes I've not had to much trouble Jungling with him. I also purchased Rumble ( got him/the new skin advertised on a whim ) and found I like him although he is fragile. Both of them seem to benefit from simliar items too with the exception of the Liandry's Torment which I'm not so sure about using with Shaco even though Shaco does deal magic damage with all of his offensive abilities.

That said, I'm still looking for other champs to play with too via different roles and will hopefully find others I like soon. While Rumble is a good lane guy and Shaco may be a good Jungler I've yet to really try a supportive character and would love opinions on where to start. I have Annie, Ashe, Garen, Master Yi + Master Assassin skin and Ryze from the $5 pre-paid starter pack you can buy along with Alistar and Tristana + skins gained from the promotion to give you some idea of what I have access too. Hoping to hear more from the community soon!

IamTitan21

04-04-2014

Annie is good to start learning a support role I would look into her for sure... Shacco typically plays in the jungle and does have relatively easy time of it.

Astral Lunacy

04-04-2014

Well, I wouldn't invest a lot of time in getting good with shaco. He is a great champ, but very high risk, low reward. At the competitive level, he isn't used hardly at all, mostly because his end game is very high risk, usually ending in a 4v5. He is very strong early game with ganks, but is very squishy and situational late game. Split pushing is his most useful tool late game.

Summoner Bennett

04-04-2014

Quote:
Astral Lunacy:
...He is very strong early game with ganks, but is very squishy and situational late game. Split pushing is his most useful tool late game.

Do you mind if I ask what Ganks and Split-pushes are? I've heard of Ganking before and I assume it is the same thing as flanking but have never been sure. I've also never heard of a Split-push. While we are on the topic of what these things are and that Shaco isn't a good competitive champion I have to ask the following because I've noticed something I want to confirm: While Liandry's Torment seems to work great on Rumble does it have any effect on Shaco's skills at all?

BawksUvAydes

04-04-2014

Quote:
Summoner Bennett:
Do you mind if I ask what Ganks and Split-pushes are? I've heard of Ganking before and I assume it is the same thing as flanking but have never been sure. I've also never heard of a Split-push. While we are on the topic of what these things are and that Shaco isn't a good competitive champion I have to ask the following because I've noticed something I want to confirm: While Liandry's Torment seems to work great on Rumble does it have any effect on Shaco's skills at all?

Ganks are basically flanking yeah, though not always from the side or behind - sometimes you can just cover a lot of distance from straight in front of you. But basically it's adding an extra member of your team where the enemy doesn't expect it, making it a 2v1 or 3v2 or even better odds for your team.

Split pushing is having your team split up so that you can take down towers (or at least put pressure on them) by pushing up creep waves. You might put 4/5 of your team in top lane just to delay the enemy team, which puts 5/5 to stop you. You'd then have your fifth member on the other side of the map in bot lane, able to kill creeps and push up to the enemy towers and take them down. This would force the enemy team to split up (if they're paying attention), or at least force them to not stay grouped up, which can sometimes be useful for your team. Shaco is a champion for split pushing because he tends to not be as good at late game as other champions. The enemy team would have to send someone strong to stop the push (sending a support wouldn't be enough to stop it), so they're pulling a way a lot of strength to stop one of your own low-strength champions, which is advantageous. Plus once they get there to stop him, Shaco can just "nope" away with his jump stealth, wasting their time.

Liandry's Torment is a pretty niche item. It's useful on AP champions (so, not Shaco) that can keep the target slowed or frequently CC them somehow to improve Liandry's damage, or sometimes if they have a damage over time ability to keep re-applying the burn. It tends to be more useful on magic damage champs with good base damage but low AP scaling, like Elise and Rumble. It also sees use on Teemo for more magic penetration on his shrooms, which also slow and thus deal the improved damage. It's really only good on a champion if they fit one of those two requirement - good base magic damage and low AP ratios, or a way to keep proccing it / keep CC up for improved damage. Most champions don't have it in their core builds. It DOES increase the damage of Shaco's abilities (Q excepted), but if you're going with an AD-based build then it's not even close to worth it when you could be getting more physical damage in the form of AD/AS/Crit.

Anna Raven

04-04-2014

Ganking is more or less surprise attacks in the hopes of either gaining a kill or at least pressuring the other lane back to their turret. For example, you might have your teammate on top drop back towards their own turret, allowing the enemy to move forward past the river. Then the jungler would come in from behind, and the two would pin in the enemy champ and hopefully get the kill. For top, this means a solid push for the turret, and a possible gain in that lane. Even if a kill isn't secured, it still means giving your laner a little more breathing room to farm without too much pressure from the other side.

Successful ganks can be tough, though, since it does require coordination between both the jungler and the laner. That's hard to find sometimes when playing with strangers, especially ones who don't understand how jungling and ganking actually work. They'll kind of sit back and expect you to do all the work, then cry if it doesn't succeed. Just don't let that get to you when it happens (and it will, trust me. Lots of people forget that this is a team game, and that it takes team effort to accomplish things.)

Split-pushing is when you split focus between two lanes late-game. An example of this would be if everyone is pushing mid hard, forcing the enemy team's focus there. While they're busy there, another teammate would be quietly off taking another lane where no one else is paying attention. This can be risky, since the entire enemy team can collapse in on you quickly if you're pushed beyond where the team fight is happening mid. But depending on the champ sent to split-push (how quickly they can take turrets, how well they can escape, etc,) it can mean gg with enough well done split-pushes. Every turret is a step closer to winning.

Summoner Bennett

04-04-2014

Thanks to you both, Anna and Bawks. You are right about people raging Anna as I've had two or three of those incidents but it's worked out well each time. Shaco's boxes are a nice way to set an ambush up ahead and once the enemy champion is in fear rushing in and getting the first stab in the back works nicely with it being even better if you get the clone to take the front. Thanks to Bawks for explaining about the Torment as it is information I'll keep in mind. Can I ask what AP, CC, AD and AS are? Sorry for asking all these questions but thanks for taking the time to answer them!

BawksUvAydes

04-04-2014

Quote:
Summoner Bennett:
Thanks to you both, Anna and Bawks. You are right about people raging Anna as I've had two or three of those incidents but it's worked out well each time. Shaco's boxes are a nice way to set an ambush up ahead and once the enemy champion is in fear rushing in and getting the first stab in the back works nicely with it being even better if you get the clone to take the front. Thanks to Bawks for explaining about the Torment as it is information I'll keep in mind. Can I ask what AP, CC, AD and AS are? Sorry for asking all these questions but thanks for taking the time to answer them!

AP = Ability Power. Note that ability power does not, as the name implies, ALWAYS make abilities stronger. It's mainly bought on mages. You can tell if an ability gets stronger from AP based on the tooltip - a teal/aquamarine color in parentheses means it scales with AP, while a red-orange color indicates scaling off of AD (Attack Damage). There are also more rare scalings, like yellow for armor and blue for mana (abilities get stronger with armor and mana, respectively).

CC = Crowd control. Generally includes any movement-impairing things like slows ("soft" CC, not as potent) to snares/stuns ("hard" CC, causes major problems to the target)

AD = Attack Damage. Damage dealt with each attack, can be gained from items and is kind of the "baseline" offensive stat (crit chance and attack speed are kind of secondary). Some abilities get stronger with Attack Damage, while almost no abilities get stronger with crit chance or attack speed.

AS = Attack Speed. Caps at 2.5 attacks per second. You generally want a mix of Attack Damage, Attack Speed, and Crit Chance on a physical damage marksman-style champion.