Rengar Thread of Bolas and Roaring

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ForMyNextTrick

04-03-2014

Just for a little bit of something constructive, i know it can be a bit difficult moving forward from here because of how angry the community is.

I feel like the whole bruiser rengar is a little... I dont feel it fits his theme, when I imagine a hunter/stalker (a predator hunting its prey), i imagine precision and deadliness, a fast end for the prey.

Playing as a bruiser makes him a bit more like how you describe his encounter with kha'zix in lore (which is supposed to be one, isolated incident, hence why they are swore enemies, they both couldnt do their job because they were so evenly matched), his combat feels drawn out.
And ingame it feels sloppy, like hes not a good enough hunter to execute in one fluid sweep (much unlike kha'zix), instead he has this long battle with an opponent.

Other than theme I find that his combo is really nonexistent, yes i get it you want him to be flexible in what he can do, but nothing syncs. Do get 5 ferocity, ult then E stun the opponent and wait for the next 5 ferocity?
On that note, waiting for his ferocity to build up post stealth feels awkward, I feel like im wasting spells while im waiting for my ferocity to build up.

And last I dont find his gameplay rewarding in the least, now im not to sure why I find it this way. Its just they way i feel about him now.
Thanks for reading and Good luck

xUnicorn69x

Recruiter

04-03-2014

Dig the skillshot. It makes him actually have a poke and makes the top a bit more viable. But the Q. ehhhh.. the flat amount kills him hard. The trinket is a great thing to have though. I never used his necklace as an item because hes so dang squishy for a fighter, even with a sunfire cape. But now i can finally use it! I havnt changed up my build at all really from a visage, cape, and fighter items. But the only thing i want back is his original Q, or a lesser form if you think that would over power him, which i dont, seeing as how he was an easy kill to begin with.

Rengy is my main, but his Q makes me sad now. Its so weak.

tryinddng

04-03-2014

His Q gives 100% Attack speed at lvl 18 that is if empowered which he used to get for free at lvl 1. So rengar is totally gutted. The only thing good is his E. There is counter play to it now and it is kinda better as well.

ForMyNextTrick

04-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
We're getting a lot of good info and feedback so far. Expect bug fixes, QoL and balance changes in the upcoming patches. I'll check in later and respond to more of the questions.
Will do, and I get that a lot of these players are acting in a toxic way, but it is a champ that most of the people here are very passionate about. Hopefully you can see though all the toxicity and see what they are trying to convey to you.

Crewx

04-03-2014

Firstly, I'm sorry you have to deal with all the insults and lashings.

From the few games I played as him, I played him in the jungle. I must say, I did better than with old Rengar, but that's mostly due to the new Bola and Feral Flare. The new Bola is so much better for ganks, and sometimes, just throwing it near them without hitting them will bait out a Flash.

His Q does feel a bit underwhelming. Unempowered, it hardly did damage before I got Feral Flare. Empowered Q is good, though. Not being able to push towers hard really hurts, though. Maybe if you make it so only Unempowered Q can hit them, or only Empowered Q can hit them?

His new Roar is great, and the new Bonetooth is great. Small fix - In one of the games, I won the minievent against a Kha'Zix and it's still called "Bonetooth Necklace" and not "Head of Kha'Zix". The Icon does change though. One thing about it, the only way it helped me is that I jumped straight from 12 to 20 stacks. That's great, but if you compare it to the bonus Kha'Zix gets, it's a bit underwhelming. Maybe adding a new effect to the trinket will make it feel a little more rewarding to win the quest. Perhaps making it so, if you win the quest, you can leap to someone you hit with an Empowered Bola? Or maybe making it so you get a little Ferocity while in ult stealth? Just a few suggestions, they might be too much.

Another thing that would be cool is if the Bonetooth Totem had a unique model.

Speaking of his ult, it feels a little weird, but it's still good when you learn how to use it. After leaping at someone with it, hit QWE and I'm ready for Empowered Q. The damage doesn't come as fast, but it does still come, and the movement speed helps keep up with anyone who tries to run. As for the '!', in my first game people didn't seem to notice it, but the more games I played people seemed to wise up. Maybe it would be better if a Nocturny effect happens when he ults, so you know he's after someone, but don't know who. Or maybe a debuff rather than an exclaimation point that the enemy team gets when he activates it, that says, "You feel as if you're being hunted..."

Overall - A lot of things about the rework are great, namely the trinket, bola, and roar. The ult is a bit weird, but okay. Q needs a bit of a buff, I needed Feral Flare to be able to outdamage people.

My builds commonly used Feral Flare, Ravenous Hydra, Black Cleaver, and Guardian Angel. Other items depended on the game.

ForMyNextTrick

04-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewx View Post
Firstly, I'm sorry you have to deal with all the insults and lashings.

From the few games I played as him, I played him in the jungle. I must say, I did better than with old Rengar, but that's mostly due to the new Bola and Feral Flare. The new Bola is so much better for ganks, and sometimes, just throwing it near them without hitting them will bait out a Flash.

His Q does feel a bit underwhelming. Unempowered, it hardly did damage before I got Feral Flare. Empowered Q is good, though. Not being able to push towers hard really hurts, though. Maybe if you make it so only Unempowered Q can hit them, or only Empowered Q can hit them?

His new Roar is great, and the new Bonetooth is great. Small fix - In one of the games, I won the minievent against a Kha'Zix and it's still called "Bonetooth Necklace" and not "Head of Kha'Zix". The Icon does change though. One thing about it, the only way it helped me is that I jumped straight from 12 to 20 stacks. That's great, but if you compare it to the bonus Kha'Zix gets, it's a bit underwhelming. Maybe adding a new effect to the trinket will make it feel a little more rewarding to win the quest. Perhaps making it so, if you win the quest, you can leap to someone you hit with an Empowered Bola? Or maybe making it so you get a little Ferocity while in ult stealth? Just a few suggestions, they might be too much.

Another thing that would be cool is if the Bonetooth Totem had a unique model.

Speaking of his ult, it feels a little weird, but it's still good when you learn how to use it. After leaping at someone with it, hit QWE and I'm ready for Empowered Q. The damage doesn't come as fast, but it does still come, and the movement speed helps keep up with anyone who tries to run. As for the '!', in my first game people didn't seem to notice it, but the more games I played people seemed to wise up. Maybe it would be better if a Nocturny effect happens when he ults, so you know he's after someone, but don't know who. Or maybe a debuff rather than an exclaimation point that the enemy team gets when he activates it, that says, "You feel as if you're being hunted..."

Overall - A lot of things about the rework are great, namely the trinket, bola, and roar. The ult is a bit weird, but okay. Q needs a bit of a buff, I needed Feral Flare to be able to outdamage people.

My builds commonly used Feral Flare, Ravenous Hydra, Black Cleaver, and Guardian Angel. Other items depended on the game.
Nice, well spoken

Surakai

04-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmi117 View Post
All I had to see was Frozen Heart on Rengar to realize what you are saying is not important at all.
sometimes I build hurricane on udyr.

god awful

04-03-2014

Hi, i was challenger a few times last season (sadly not at the end though) playing rengar jungle thought my input on the rework might reach you here

New q feels extremely wonky and bad, the cooldowns between normal and empowered feel terrible

his damage was gutted from an assassin standpoint, assassin rengar is pretty much useless until 6 items now

tank rengar is broken as ****, pretty much the only way to play him at all

pls buff Q damage and remove all the weird delays and stuff around it, new bola is really cool and i like it though, same with his ult.. but the q is just really awkward

**oh and theres a bug with his Q being procced when you jump out of a bush not applying until the auto after the leap

Just Me Rule 34

04-03-2014

Just played him once to get a feel for the new design.

His Q needs some QoL love. I'd like to see his Q be able to be used on towers, but not give the AS buff if it's the empowered version, since that was a major point of contention. I'd also like to see maybe the animation on the Q recovery shortened a bit, like how Vi's auto reset was changed to feel more fluent. Having used his Q without the attack speed, it feels like the AS was there to try and mask how clunky his Q is.

I'd like to see his Q have a higher base damage or ratio early on to make it feel more impactful, but what I really want to see is his Q work on towers and feel more fluent.

Dyto

04-03-2014

Let me say this.... to balance rengar well you should do the following things....

Take a look at every melee AD champion who has mana and what their specific power budget is and how much mobility they have....

After you have done that, give rengar the exact same power budget.... then remove 35% from his power budget in every single aspect. Rengar is way too strong, or used to be before the changes and I doubt you destroyed him, but champions like rengar, aatrox, zed, lee, renek and even garen push champions with mana out of the game because there is absolutely NO drawback to playing these melee AD champions without mana, with the exception of garen who atleast doesnt have broken gap closer and some form of hard cc other than silcence.