Dear Riot... please give us a 3rd camera option

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 50
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Penteano

03-30-2014

First a friendly request with all respect I hope you guys can do: if you are in the "play with free cam" army and you are going to tell me to play with that I ask you to stay out of here please. I tried a milion times and I can't, I also noticed it makes my wrist hurt in the first match rather than the 6th or 7th (or 10 matches with no pain as happens most of times) if I play with locked or semi locked camera. Thank you for your comprehension.
And if you still didn't understand, read this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronkeito View Post
I don't think there's anyone, at all, that is making the claim that the free camera is not the best way to play. I think that point needs to be really clear...no one is claiming that free camera isn't the best.

What you have here are people that do not play their best in trying to manage a free camera and their character. Could they bang their collective heads against the wall and try and get the free camera figured out? Sure they could. How many do you think will stick around if that's their only option? The only choice for this group of people is to play with a fixed camera.

The differences between the vision afforded the fixed-camera player and the vision afforded the free-camera player is night and day. From what I can tell, lolcamera permitted the fixed-camera player an experience that was closer to the free-camera player without being a free camera. It still isn't the best way to play the game but it's better. So the order of best to worst looks like: Free camera; lolcamera (semi-fixed); and Riot's fixed camera. This whole thing is about providing a better option to those who are worse off playing with a free camera by not insisting they be worse off because of Riot's inability/refusal to provide a better camera option.

From what I can tell, Riot's refusal to implement something similar to lolcamera is because "most of the players play with the free camera" (paraphrasing). Without giving it too much thought, I would imagine there are two reasons that occurs: (1) the free camera is the undisputed better camera option; or (2) the fixed camera is completely crippling. Basically there are players using the free camera because they must but who would actually be better at the game with something like lolcamera. Given the ease with which an uncompensated, non-employee actually built the thing, it is a total disservice to players not to have it in the game.

My sincerest apologies for rambling but please just stop with the "free camera is best!" - We already know that.
Guys... the camera proposed here is global, "map flip" or similar ideas will only work in SR so this is not exactly a thread for this kind of idea...
+++Please if you agree and want to upvote I request you to also comment so we can bump it
Here are 2 demo videos:
*This one is on Summoner's Rift and he is on purple side. He is using a option that the cam give a little forcus to right clicks, for when you move, I dont like to use it much but some people do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u9XFHdnZHc
*Lulu @ Dominion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDEH0Ior7UE
*Soraka on speed, just showing more how the cam can move
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08mrhkSjtpw
Graph to compare the mouse move semi locked (lolcamera, on the left) x free cam on the right @ ARAM. Credits: Spl3en
Name:  ss (2013-07-23 at 12.31.43).jpg
Views: 21665
Size:  448.2 KB
And that is only ARAM, imagine SR :O
So my request is for Riot to make a semi locked cam. It basically keeps the focus between the mouse and your champion so it will follow your mouse but without completely losing your champion.
Make that we can control how far the cam will go away of your champion and the speed it goes please. Set a neutral area around your champion where the cam won't move if you keep the mouse there, in lolcamera it's a square, I think it should be a circle.
Let us control the mount of time it will take to the cam run back to your champion if you need to move the cam very far like when you are playing a long range ult champion.
The goal of this is to have an intuitive camera that tries to preview where you are going (thus some things like global enemy weight may be necessary). This way controlling your champion and watching what is going on in the game is your only goal. Worrying about moving your camera shouldn't be part of it (except if you are going to check a area that is far, what you can still do with lolcamera using your minimap as you can still do without using it), from a competitive and casual play point of view. This is my opnion, feel free to disagree.
I'm also 100% sure many free cam players would use it in teamfights like they do now with the locked cam (this really helps if the enemy is a bit more away and you have skill shots, you wouldn't need to unlock again till a certain point). This would help them more than they can imagine, specially considering they may have more locked cam players in their team than they think xD
A very interesting point I didn't think before:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolferer View Post
To me this falls into an accessibility issue, much like colorblindness. Some people don't have the capability to easily scroll the free camera. Physical health is a big issue for gamers that seems to be largely ignored at this point. Any feature that helps mitigate these sorts of problems I would classify as a Really Good Thing.

I feel like if Riot were to see it as an accessibility issue, it might move up their priority list a bit. Maybe try to push on that front to any Rioters you manage to talk to.

If you are interested you can get lolcamera here http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...3726140&page=1 - Unfortunately lolcamera was officially banned by Riot, but pls keep supporting this thread.

Well, that's my request Riot. Hope at least a red can answer. Thank you.

Yay red answer
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
That is a sexy camera...
Another answer from a Rioter about how good the cam is and its implementation
http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...fq11?context=3
No much work at all, they can do...
One more
Quote:
That is a dreamy camera. Great ideas here!
And 200 upvotes, thanks guys!

Editing for the feels:
It's annoying to bump it while Riot says would be easy to do this cam but at the same time they don't say if they are going to do. And as lolcamera broke today I'm not playing this game anymore till something happens (be it someone fix lolcamera or riot making a semi locked cam). The first request for this kind of cam is more than a year old http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...w_camera_idea/
So it's kind of frustrating to ask for this, how can I know Riot won't ignore for another year.. or 5?
So if someone wants to keep bumping this feel free to do so. But I kind of give up, may do some random bumps but not that much.

Edit again: Good to be wrong and see Riot is working on it. Thanks RiotForScience for the effort!
Quote:
I am looking into solutions for the problem you are trying to solve with the camera. I hear what you are saying, I don't know if what I am working on will work yet so I am not in a position to give much information about it. Sorry I don't have any information for you. I just wanted to let you know that we are paying attention to this concern.

Maximum Espurr

03-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penteano View Post
First a friendly request with all respect I hope you guys can do: if you are in the "play with free cam" army and you are going to tell me to play with that I ask you to stay out of here please. I tried a milion times and I can't, I also noticed it makes my wrist hurt
You whinny entitled little bitch

Burgee

03-31-2014

Free cam is really the way to go. It should come pretty naturally to anyone who has played an RTS in their life ever.

I'm surprised that it's so hard for some people - I literally figure out how to unlock the cam on my very first game of league and I didn't think anyone would ever play any other way.

It comes down to this: Riot offers two camera modes, and one is a huge disadvantage to use. Free cam is an easy way to up your skill / performance level, so learn it and love it.

Coolio206

03-31-2014

Why can't I just hold down the middle mouse button and drag to obtain the same effect without having to use added content?

Oh, I guess bronzies can't manage the camera and their champion at the same time. Too hard.

Penteano

03-31-2014

Would be amazing if you guys could read the first paragraph. I know the NA community is a lot better than this.
Thanks for your opinions anyway.

BlueFoxe

03-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penteano View Post
Would be amazing if you guys could read the first paragraph. I know the NA community is a lot better than this.
Thanks for your opinions anyway.
If unlocked cam is making your "wrist hurt", then maybe this game isn't for you.

Gerrikk

03-31-2014

Fully respect your right to play however you enjoy. Just realize that Riot is very unlikely to invest resources into something only a very small % of people would use and most wouldn't even think to care about.

Best of luck to you but I wouldn't hold your breath on this one.

Koldheartedjsp

03-31-2014

l2p unlocked or deal with the disadvantages of locked

it's not hard to pan the camera and paly at the same time

Penteano

03-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrikk View Post
Fully respect your right to play however you enjoy. Just realize that Riot is very unlikely to invest resources into something only a very small % of people would use and most wouldn't even think to care about.

Best of luck to you but I wouldn't hold your breath on this one.
Considering the amount of free cam players that lock it in teamfights I believe it'd be used by a lot more people than we think. But yeah I don't think Riot will give attention to this. Thank you for being polite, the GD in NA is a lot more toxic if they disagree with something than in any other server I'm kinda shocked. The Dominion community here is amazing tho.

Penteano

03-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgee View Post
It comes down to this: Riot offers two camera modes, and one is a huge disadvantage to use. Free cam is an easy way to up your skill / performance level, so learn it and love it.
I'm just interested in playing for fun tho. Not really focused on skills, it improves with time anyway. Just wanted a more confortable way to play, specially cuz LoL is my first moba game and it is pretty much the only game I play outside simracing. Would like to find motives to give Riot my money.

1234511 ... 50