AP Ryze: Toggle the Mage!

12345 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

T0ggle

01-06-2010

I didn't enjoy playing ryze the way others do, so I ran through many different builds and practiced a lot and here is what I came up with.
(If you are going to test this guide out, please try it with a good singe laning partner before you give me your results)
So in this guide i'll be posting my skill path, item build, summoner spells, masteries, runebook and extra thoughts, but I will not be posting his Bio or skill tooltips because I feel that is a big waste of time. Enjoy!

Rate my guide when your done reading it, and if you like it do me a favor, give thumbs down to any trolling posts.

With that being said here is the skill path I have chosen
1.Overload
2.Rune Prison
3.Overload
4.Rune Prison
5.Overload
6.Desperate Power
7.Spell Flux
8.Overload
9.Overload
10.Rune Prison
11.Desperate Power
12.Rune Prison
13.Rune Prison
14.Spell Flux
15.Spell Flux
16.Desperate Power
17.Spell Flux
18.Spell Flux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toggle
Overload is your main source of damage and harassment, you want to open up with exhaust, Rune prison, then Overload to obliterate the enemys HP fast.
Granted, exhaust should be saved till they are at least at half hp for maximum effect.
Some might say Spell Flux is a need because of the magic pen and damage, well I garuntee you, with 25magic pen from exhaust and 20from runebook, your leaving the enemy with negative magic resist early game wich boosts your damage. The reason why I focus on Overload and Rune prison only is because they do the most damage and it keeps the enemy snared for as long as possible. Spell Flux can be used to great effect late game to bring the enemy teams magic resist down for maximum magic damage though.
Make sure you take advantage of Ryzes desperate power, keep exhaust up till level 6 so you can open up an attack like this, from the bushes Desperate power, exhaust, Rune prison, Overload.(If must, Use rally for 25% more AP gain and heals for your laning partner)This makes you a 2shotter and a heavy damage dealer, one that shouldn't be underestimated. Late game make sure to harass with Spell Flux and as soon as the enemy opens up an all out rush make sure to Desperate power, Spell flux, rally, exhaust, Rune Prison and then Overload. Overload again to anyone with low enough HP.
My item build consists of
Sapphire crystal
x2 Healing potions
Tear of the Goddess
Boots of speed
Rod of ages
sorcerer's boots or Boots of swiftness
Guardian Angel or voidstaff(depending on if you are dieing or not)
Void staff or Guardian Angel(Wich ever you didn't get before)
Zhonya's Ring

But the item build itself can be rearranged, I always get these items on ryze, just sometimes in a different order because of the team i'm facing.
Quote:
Getting sapphire crystal early game has greatly increased my Overload damage were as the healing potions have kept me alive long enough to get kills in. After you get Tear of the goddess it should take up to about 20-40minutes to max it out, giving you enough time to get boots and rod of ages.
Late game you'll thank me for the Rod of ages and archangels staff idea, your ability power won't just keep gaining, but overload will benifit from the gained mana and Rod of ages will have expanded your survivability. Getting Guardian angel will keep your armor and magic resist decent enough to take a hit while still Ressurection during a team fight for a second go at the enemy. Void staff with masteries brings your magic pen to 55% where as Zhonya's ring just benifits AP/mana gain.
Summoner spells
Exhaust - not only slow the target so you can get snare in, but blinds and gives 25magic pen(add that with your runes for a good 45magic penetration)
Rally - heals over time, and if you save it till Desperate Power is ready, you gain 25%more ability power gain.

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend any other spells because these 2 spells max your damage, heal the team and cripple the enemy.
Masteries 21/0/9
2 deadliness
3 Archmage's Savvy
1 Cripple
4 Sorcery
1 Archaic Knowledge
2 Offensive Mastery
3 Brute Force
1 Improved rally
3 Lethality
1 Havoc
~
3 Perseverance
1 Good Hands
4 Expanded Mind
1 Greed (or) Utility Master

Quote:
I only got Deadliness because it allows me to get the other high end talent specs, Offensive mastery and Brute Force makes minion killing early game fairly decent. The rest talent specs are for summoner spell enhancing, ability power gaining and small bonus's.
Runebook
Marks 9 "Greater Mark of Insight" +0.95magic penetration each = 8.55!
Seals 9 "Greater Seal of Focus" +0.29Cooldown Reduction each = 2.34!
Glyphs 9 "Greater Glyph of Insight" +0.57magic penetration each = 5.13 !
Quintessences 3 "Greater Quintessence of Insight" +1.89magic penetration each = 5.67!
Our Total effect = +19.35magic penetration and +2.34Cooldown Reduction!

Quote:
You need this magic pen to put the enemy into negative magic resist early game combined with exhaust so that you not only have your damage go straight to their hp but make them take increased damage! The Cooldown reduction however is a small boost to your spell refreshing.
Early game tips
Harass with overload when out of range, but if the enemy tends to melee or just get into the middle of minions , snare them with Rune prison then Overload and let your teamate do the rest of the damage.

Mid game tips
As long as you can get a Rune prison/Overload in over and over, the enemy will be forced back to their tower, one fo your teamates can even leave to gank someone else in mid or bot while you keep 2 enemys occupyd.
When you get spell flux, it can be used to finish off an enemy with low hp from the back, if you have 3or less people gathered around a very hp enemy champion, just spell flux one of them and it will bounce eventualy to your target.

Late game tips
Ryze is very powerfull late game, he has very good survivability and a ton of magic damage. If your team keeps you alive before or even after you ressurect, you can dish out plenty of damage to take out any enemy, including that of a tank. I've taken down tanks like blitzcrank with 80magic resist very quick when pulling out just my desperate power, runeprison, overload and finaly spellflux. seeing as how spell flux bounces off you occasionaly, it will continuasly hit the enemy nearest you. Use this method of spell flux to deal increased magic damage to the enemy.

No screenshots needed

Video Gamplay
Coming soon...

Extra thoughts
Best laning partners with Ryze has got to be Singe and blitzcrank, singe never misses on a toss like blitzcrank can occasionaly with arm grab and singe is the best tank to tower dive early-late game. Also if you keep feeding singe, he becomes the worst tank to mess with late game. blitzcrank however, deals a large amount of damage with his spells, can arm grab a target to your runeprison snare and pop them up in the air for a longer stun.

If you liked this guide take a look at my other guides!
Shaco_
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=25473
Nidalee_
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=37420
Zilean_
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=43341

BTW if your wondering why i'm not answering any of your questions here, its because I get nothing but bad feedback and insulting comments. Maybe if these kids would get off my back and stop acting so immature i'd have a reason to read all the comments posted here. At any rate, if your hoping to catch some tips off me or have any questions add me ingame. P.S. if you add me just to insult me about my guide/'s, i'll just ignore you and remove you from my friends list. Aloha!

badnutz

01-06-2010

I'm not seeing anything really different in this guide than any others. And your kinda spamming the boards with your not very helpfull copy/paste in the blanks guides. Please, give it a rest. At least you didn't start off with saying "your friends wanted you to write it" this time...

T0ggle

01-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by badnutz View Post
I'm not seeing anything really different in this guide than any others. And your kinda spamming the boards with your not very helpfull copy/paste in the blanks guides. Please, give it a rest. At least you didn't start off with saying "your friends wanted you to write it" this time...
Theres only 1 more ryze guide, I took a look at it and its similar but some of our points vary.
besides Ryze guides are needed here
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=28809
Go read at top, most needed guides.
So, please don't attack me and my guides.

Phoxly

01-06-2010

I'm gonna try this out now and let you know how it goes. I usually go with a spell build like:

1: Overload
2: Spellflux
3: Rune Prison
4: Spell
5: Spell
6: Desperate Power
7: Rune Prison

I rotate between Overload and Spellflux. I keep Rune Prison at level 2 because I usually have time to Exhaust, Spellflux (Spellflux first for magic pen on RP and Overload), Rune Prison, Overload, for pretty decent damage without them getting away. However with your build your just going with Overload and high levele'd Rune Prison I don't know if the damage output is up to par with spellflux + rune prison + overload. Since spellflux benefits from AP more than overload (from what I have heard).

Usually with CD reduction and Ryze's passive, after Spellflux, Rune Prison, and then Overload, my Spellflux is ready to go again shortly after (with Frozen Heart or Glacial CD).

I'd STRONGLY recomend Frozen Heart with this, because of the mana boost (Overload Damage boost, AND the CD and aspd slow.)

For summoner spells usually go Exhaust for obvious reasons and Flash for catching up to them or simply getting out of a gank, blitzcrank pull, nunu ult, katarina ult, yi chasing me, gangplank ult, and many other situations.

I'll try this venue for Ryze and let you know how it goes. Great looking guide as always Toggle.

Phoxly

01-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by badnutz View Post
First Ryze guide I have seen that waits to level up spellflux til the end. Don't look at his item build and assume its the same as every other.

Fbsunny

01-06-2010

Not getting Spell Flux until 13 is just dumb, its a waste of your passive and you are severely gimping your damage output. Even if you choose to focus on overload you should get spell flux within the first four levels.

Also I think a 9/0/21 build is in general better for casters, since the extra 10% crit damage is worthless on Rhyze and the 6% cd reduction would be quite useful.

Other then that I agree with your rune book and items, although there should be some more flexibility in item choice depending on the enemy team ( but of course you can't predict every situation to say which items should be used there).

Phoxly

01-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbsunny View Post
Not getting Spell Flux until 13 is just dumb, its a waste of your passive and you are severely gimping your damage output. Even if you choose to focus on overload you should get spell flux within the first four levels.

Also I think a 9/0/21 build is in general better for casters, since the extra 10% crit damage is worthless on Rhyze and the 6% cd reduction would be quite useful.

Other then that I agree with your rune book and items, although there should be some more flexibility in item choice depending on the enemy team ( but of course you can't predict every situation to say which items should be used there).
I somewhat agree, and the only way Overload would outdo Spell Flux + Overload is if he was able to cast 2 of Overload while he had them Rune Prisoned. I've never had Rune Prison maxed early though, so I'm not going to hate spike this guide til I finish testing it myself. With a strong early game of ganking with this build I think by the time he reaches level 13 for spell flux his late game damage is going to be insane.

For ganking, I prefer Overload to Spellflux, but for minion killing with desperate power I prefer Spell Flux. Or in team fights.

T0ggle

01-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoxly View Post
I'm gonna try this out now and let you know how it goes. I usually go with a spell build like:

1: Overload
2: Spellflux
3: Rune Prison
4: Spell
5: Spell
6: Desperate Power
7: Rune Prison

I rotate between Overload and Spellflux. I keep Rune Prison at level 2 because I usually have time to Exhaust, Spellflux (Spellflux first for magic pen on RP and Overload), Rune Prison, Overload, for pretty decent damage without them getting away. However with your build your just going with Overload and high levele'd Rune Prison I don't know if the damage output is up to par with spellflux + rune prison + overload. Since spellflux benefits from AP more than overload (from what I have heard).

Usually with CD reduction and Ryze's passive, after Spellflux, Rune Prison, and then Overload, my Spellflux is ready to go again shortly after (with Frozen Heart or Glacial CD).

I'd STRONGLY recomend Frozen Heart with this, because of the mana boost (Overload Damage boost, AND the CD and aspd slow.)

For summoner spells usually go Exhaust for obvious reasons and Flash for catching up to them or simply getting out of a gank, blitzcrank pull, nunu ult, katarina ult, yi chasing me, gangplank ult, and many other situations.

I'll try this venue for Ryze and let you know how it goes. Great looking guide as always Toggle.
Thanks for the feedback
I practice with my builds a lot before I ever post any guides, this way I know for a fact they are effective in many ways possible.

Phoxly

01-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0ggle View Post
Thanks for the feedback
I practice with my builds a lot before I ever post any guides, this way I know for a fact they are effect in many ways possible.
Thats good, I agree with the items 100% as I used to go Catalyst + Tear early alot, but lately I have been getting Catalyst first, Boots of Speed, Rod of Ages, then Tear if I feel its needed. Also quite a few of my last 10 games with Ryze I actually got Banshee Veil and Meja's instead of Rod of Ages just because the Banshee Veil is cheaper and/or the enemy is so magic damage focused and was getting alot of kills/ganks because of that and with Banshee I was easily able to outpower them or participate in ganks since I was already a prime target they were just wasting their AP with my magic resist and extra HP.

T0ggle

01-06-2010

@My masteries choice
Its for maxing out AP damage, enhancing summoner spells, and small bonuses to mana and attack damage vs minions.
@My skill path
I've tested this out to many times, spell flux never gave me the amount of damage I need, and when laning with a partner the long snare time + overload burst damage left the enemy with low enough hp to get nuked by my partner.

12345 ... 9