Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Katarina

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Abulbn

03-25-2014

Hey, I have a few questions about Katarina.
1. Kill Stealing
Whenever I play Kat, my team amost always accuses me of KSing. When I enter a teamfight, I will try to quickly kill the enemy ADC/APC/Assasin. Then I will cast my ultimate and destroy the enemies. After,if I get a kill, my team would blame me for KS then i would get another reset and I will usually kill an ememy champion again. Whenever I kill an enemy, I get blamed for KSing, whenever I dont kill an enemy (to give the kill to someone else) the enemy gets away and my team is like "Wow, noob Kat cant even kill anything". What should I do?
2. DFG vs Guise
Should I rush the Haunting Guise or the DFG? I like rushing the DFG but some ppl say that is a horrible way to build Kat. What are your opinions?
I usually build: DFG>SS>Staff or Abby Sept>Deathcap>Zonyas>GA
Or I will replace the DFG with a guise and build it into a torment.
I also start with boots, is that a good start? Or should I start with the codex.

Thanks

OhBoyItsaMegaman

03-25-2014

Pay absolutely no attention to people who complain about KSing. Do not ever give away a kill to someone else if you're playing a mid laner, especially Katarina. Holding back to let someone else get the kill—which you should only do if the kill is 100% secured—is intended to direct gold towards the team member who can use it best, not giving the kill to the person who "deserves it" or "did the most work". People who don't accept this are just hurting their own team.

Cervical Cancer

03-26-2014

1. ignore them.
2. rushing a haunting guise is for her QWE, her ratios on those skills are not too hot. So that is why any people build a guise. ( basically it makes your harass actually hurt a little)

My personal build on kat is boots->Guise->Sorcs->Zhonyas->Rabbadon's, Void or Abyssal (depends on enemy teams builds) and then my GA sometime soon.

Voidizarre

Recruiter

03-26-2014

I get Tome>Guise>Shoes>Rab>Zhonya> etc.

In my opinion don't buy a Zhonya if your champion is nothing worth protecting yet. Like if surviving for a few more seconds won't even scratch the enemy team.

MiyokoShadow

03-26-2014

I am completely different and rush DFG>Sorcerer's Shoes>Deathcap/Zhonya's (depending on the situation)>Liandry's/Abyssal Scepter/Crystal Scepter (all situational)> Guardian Angel/Void Staff (depending on the situation). Idk though. It works for me, but I'm still learning

KuteKittehs

Recruiter

03-26-2014

If you're doing your job and you know your teammates are whining irrationally, just ignore them. Assassins are supposed to jump in at opportune times, and realistically your teammates should be trying to whittle them down and peel so you have a clear shot at their carries. Plus, you ARE mid so you do need that kill gold. Mid and ADC needs to be fed all the kills, then jung/top, and then (sad but true) supports take lowest priority. So if you're mid, take the darn kills. Especially because you're kat and you need the resets, go ahead and take as many kills as you want.

AwesomeChad

03-26-2014

Quote:
Abulbn:
Hey, I have a few questions about Katarina.
1. Kill Stealing
Whenever I play Kat, my team amost always accuses me of KSing. When I enter a teamfight, I will try to quickly kill the enemy ADC/APC/Assasin. Then I will cast my ultimate and destroy the enemies. After,if I get a kill, my team would blame me for KS then i would get another reset and I will usually kill an ememy champion again. Whenever I kill an enemy, I get blamed for KSing, whenever I dont kill an enemy (to give the kill to someone else) the enemy gets away and my team is like "Wow, noob Kat cant even kill anything". What should I do?
2. DFG vs Guise
Should I rush the Haunting Guise or the DFG? I like rushing the DFG but some ppl say that is a horrible way to build Kat. What are your opinions?
I usually build: DFG>SS>Staff or Abby Sept>Deathcap>Zonyas>GA
Or I will replace the DFG with a guise and build it into a torment.
I also start with boots, is that a good start? Or should I start with the codex.

Thanks

1. kill stealing - More like kill securing. You are one of the carries on your team. You need kills to get fed and carry your teammates to victory. Ignore them.

2. DFG vs. Haunting Guise - Get DFG if you need to 1-shot someone on the enemy team. DFG amplifies all magic dealt to the target so its great if you need it to instantly burst down that squishy or that tank. Haunting Guise is like brutalizer; you buy it early game for its stats and rush it as a snowball item. DFG is good all game but haunting guise is more effective early game.

5C4r3Cr0w

03-26-2014

Kat is clean up. Most of your initial kills are dependent on your team getting someone somewhat low, but you pay it forward by then doing a ton of AoE damage.

Builds are usually something like :

1. Dorans shield start vs AA + poke lanes, boots vs skillshot lanes (Eg Ziggs, Syndra) or cloth 5 vs AD lanes.

Note: Amp tome is not a very efficient start, and Kat is a very weak laner - having 1 pot is not going to go well in lane.

2. Large rod ideally. Pen boots with boots start, codex with dorans shield start, seekers vs AD mids or haunting guise if you need the HP to survive in lane. Your ideal build path though is a DFG rush.

3. Rushing either a DFG, or pen boots and haunting guise. Pen boots and haunting guise are tools to help you survive lane and roam and overall result in lower damage, but allow you to keep building items if you cannot afford a 1600g rod.

4. Ideally you want to rush a DFG because it amps your damage a LOT, provides CDs which is nice and it ensures resets. From there you'll want to build some combination of Deathcap, Hourglass and Void Staff, then get a banshees veil in most cases. Between Banshees Veil passive, hourglass stasis and DFG active you should be able to both ensure a reset OR ensure you don't insta-die if you wiff your ult.

Usually hourglass second is a safe buy, followed by a void staff. Hourglass allows Kat to get an extra spell rotation off if she fails to reset which is huge and generally results in much higher potential damage than say more AP.

Noob trap items:

Any sort of spellvamp. Something like 2k damage with spellvamp = same healing as 800 damage on lifesteal. It's not efficient. Gunblade used to be decent but they nerfed that build path on her.

Liandrys. It's a decent late game item, kinda, but 1. Kat has no slows, so she doesn't maximize the LT passive. 2. Kat is a burst mage. She is entirely dependent on bursting down 1 champ in order to reset. DoT %hp burn is not great for this.

The counterargument is that since Kat is AoE, she gets off a lot of damage through LT procs in teamfights with the %hp burn. But again, it's most effective to aim to reset and clean up than to do a ton of AoE damage. If you are initiating, I could see LT being a decent buy, but Kat doesn't initiate in the way Fizz, Akali, Kassadin do.

Abyssal and Ryali: Both paired together are decent items on Kat. Again though, they aren't on par with DFG, Dcap, Hourglass, Void staff and GA/Banshees. Offtank Kat, eg: Ryali + Liandry + hourglass + abyssal is okay if you for what ever reason aren't comfortable playing a burst mage style of Kat or if you have double AP solo lanes, but again extra HP doesn't prevent your ult from being canceled. IMO the offtank builds on Kat are vastly weaker.

Chuck Fuzz

03-26-2014

Just be more careful about finishing off low enemies when near your teammates for now if they're being that sensitive to it. Just wait bro, ksing is less of a thing as you get farther into and better at the game. Also, if you already have a few kills and you know a teammate that could finish off the enemy is nearby, let them have it; it will actually help you team win the game even more than if you were to get more fed because this way, your whole team could start doing more damage. Have fun and don't AFK! Peace out

SiIIy Goose

03-26-2014

Sorry for derailing but how do people deal with Katarina? I literally lose 75%+ of my games if she is on the other team.