Multiple installations

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Abyss513

01-06-2010

I own a gaming net cafe, with 50 PC's , and gonna double it later.
1)First Part
Installing , i tried 2 methods, first just copy the whole riot file and paste it in each computer, and when launched it will ask for acrobat air to install.
It worked for some PC's and some didn't.
2) second part
installing it the normal way, download the launcher, then use the LOL installtion programe to install on the rest of the PC's, the problem is the downloaded version, will later patch 700mb, now that's a very long download specially since i will get download rates from 250kb to 40kb from your servers, and repeating the process on multiple PC's just takes too much time, specially the fact i will have to reinstall them on the new ones when i expand.

3) Third part and the real problem is.
Patching, since their seems to be a new patch every 3 weeks. Updating all PC's by automatic download, will take a massive amount of time and man power, not to mention that some other business like mine might have a download limit a month and will have to pay extra if it goes over that, i have unlimited but i will think you will have to consider also the rest of the herd.

So is their a more simplified way of doing this, for example in cases like WOW , i will just download the patch on one PC then copy the patch on a USB and go around updating the rest by executing the file on the rest and it worked fine.
In LOL case that doesn't seem possible, i have tried to locate the patch files, but not sure where they are.
So any help or info will be much appreciated.

PS if you wanna attract more customers to play LOL, try joining or advertising on GG client, that should help spread the word around.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

01-06-2010

In your situation I would just download the Standalone client as it is released, save it, and then copy it over to each computer. This will save time as you only have to download the client once, however the major drawback to this is the Standalone can not be patched, and when a new patch arrives, you have to download it again and install it again on the systems.

Abyss513

01-06-2010

yeah that's what i have done in part 2
you explained it better
:/ guess its long nights then

Jesse Perring

NOC Technician

01-06-2010
1 of 1 Riot Posts

I want to help clarify what Twinkie posted. The standalone client does not need to be installed; it can be copied from one computer to another without any installation or updating process. So I believe that all you'll have to do is download the standalone when a patch is released, then copy to a shared folder so that each computer can just copy directly from your network. The standalone isn't an update-able version of the game, so every time a patch is released, you'll have to download a new standalone (700ish MB), but then you can just copy the folder again and again.

Just make sure you're not running the game off the network itself, as you'll run into errors when joining games.

I realize the standalone isn't the most effective way, but 700 MB every 2 weeks is much less bandwidth than the alternatives.

We're actually working on a number of features for our installer and patcher that should improve the process. Hopefully we'll have a setup file that doesn't need to be patched after an initial install in the very near future. I don't know if I can promise a separate patch file you can download (like Blizzard), but I'll definitely propose the idea.

Current standalone (may be out of date in a few days):
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=37315

Abyss513

01-06-2010

I see thanks for clarifying that, that indeed will be an easier way of doing it indeed.
Just a couple of questions about that process, will their be a new standalone client every time their is a new patch, and by that i mean immediately will it be available or say next day. Will the link mentioned be a sticky and updated regularly....etc
I ask because since its not patchable, i will have customers waiting to play, and they get annoyed very fast, considering i will have to download it at the last minute, then go around replacing the old ones with the new, it will have to be timed right, not to mention that Wednesday is the common day for games to release patch's, it will be downloads all day, making lag issues, producing shouts and complains. ^_^ should be fun.