Summoner's Rift Map Design feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JamJarsook

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-06-2014

This thread looks ideal for Caster Comix's opinion on the new art

http://you.tube/TdPdgtpt73k

His points seemed very articulate when I listened this morning, and it helped me understand some of the palette choices in the jungle (which I felt were overly dark and gray when I watched the preview). The two notes that I found most interesting were:

There are a lot of symbols that are celtic feeling on the floors of the lanes and on the sides of the walls. While a safe design choice, it feels generic for a company that has the leading online game in the world. Especially with howling abyss as a map, the need for a more nordic/celtic feel in SR is arguably not as strong and it could have been great to see other cultural nods in their design.

The ends of the river area bothered him a great deal, mostly in how they transition back into lanes. It was a point that I did not notice myself, but once explained has stuck out in my mind as an oddity.

I think the feedback in the video is pretty in line with my ideas, but presented with a much more qualified vantage point.

TrueObjectivity

06-06-2014

This bug has cost me over six thousand elo in the past two days alone. Walking along the green path keeps you safe from the blue side inner turret, but the red path will make you take a tower shot.

Name:  956px-Summoner's_Rift_In-Game.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  272.7 KB

Atticon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-06-2014

Question now that The camps are different does that mean Nunu's buff are going to change because before there were 2 lizards at blue and a golem now there's not how is that changing and will he get a new updated buff for chomping on Gromp?

SerionaFox

06-06-2014

Hi. I don't have any real in-depth feedback as all we have is a video, but I do request that you keep in mind your visually impaired player community. I like what's here right now, very high contrast with a lot less clutter, but I fear that the jungle is going to become even darker with this new map, and will become even harder to navigate. Again, can't really provide anything in depth as all I have is the video preview of the WIP. One thing design wise I could mention is the Red team wraiths have always been in an awkward position. You travel down into them, but theyre so obscured by the foliage around them its often easy to misjudge it and go the wrong way, at least for me, but I'm probably just a terrible jungler.

Is there a good place to document problems specifically related to being a visually impaired player? I somehow feel this thread isn't really suited...

My Name is

06-06-2014

I love it!

iAteMyVegetables

06-06-2014

Ok so I noticed that the turrets from red and blue side are different. The thing is though I feel the red ones are way more epic. You see that light coming from it as well, just like what you see at the nexus. While blue side just looks like normal turrets only ofcourse better looking, but they're just in the ground like normal. So is that final or will the blue side also get that light from it, just a different design than the red side.

Also I wonder why there are no differences in turret designs from red side nexus turrets and inhib turrets. It would be great if Nexus turrets would look the strongest 'cause it's protecting the most important thing, and even the Inhib turrets they're more important than the lane turrets imo. It would be so great to see some variety, maybe even something as simple as difference in sizes. And I feel like the Nexus is too small, since it's the most important thing, if you destroy that you win, so it being that small, I don't know, it feels less epic.

Tl;dr I hope that the turrets get more variety. (Lane, Inhib, Nexus turrets. And difference in red/blue side) And that the Nexus becomes bigger so it has more of an epic feel.

Mid0rii

06-06-2014

Excellent work on the VU, I absolutey LOVE how it looks. The whole environment is just seeping with character and a true Runeterra-esque look. Love it!

I'm a vfx learning artist and I love the new direction with relying on the diffuse and texture to bring depth and yet also clarity to the background.

I have a question for you! @rito

I was REALLLLY curious if you guys would be awesome enough to possibly share what the diffuse and/or specular map (if its finished) looks like through one of the dev blogs you guys plan to do. I would really love to see them and I think it would be a really cool discussion in informing the community how this change may increase performance dramatically ^^

Also awesome work on the wolf cave, the first time i saw the new one I instantly tried to imagine how many vertices you shaved off. Awesome, and thank you much!

Eotw

06-06-2014

Adding this from the GD thread...

Quote:
The shop bounds should match the heal zone, or at least have the same center. This has been brought up multiple times here... make it happen!

Alchemy Rage

06-06-2014

I have a Question about SR and Nunu, when the VU comes around, what will become of Nunu's Q (Consume)

iAteMyVegetables

06-07-2014

Ok so I noticed that the turrets from red and blue side are different. The thing is though I feel the red ones are way more epic. You see that light coming from it as well, just like what you see at the nexus. While blue side just looks like normal turrets only ofcourse better looking, but they're just in the ground like normal. So is that final or will the blue side also get that light from it, just a different design than the red side.

Also I wonder why there are no differences in turret designs from red/blue side nexus turrets and inhib turrets. It would be great if Nexus turrets would look the strongest 'cause it's protecting the most important thing, and even the Inhib turrets they're more important than the lane turrets imo. It would be so great to see some variety, maybe even something as simple as difference in sizes. And I feel like the Nexus is too small, since it's the most important thing, if you destroy that you win, so it being that small, I don't know, it feels less epic.

Tl;dr I hope that the turrets get more variety. (Lane, Inhib, Nexus turrets. And difference in red/blue side) And that the Nexus becomes bigger so it has more of an epic feel.