Summoner's Rift Map Design feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mook0w

06-06-2014

I like how well minions pop out in league. In too many mobas they kind of blend in. hopefully there is still some cell shading because that always helped a bit.

Howarddd

06-06-2014

I suggest when player killed the Dragon or Baron,The Dragon or Baron do not die in the floor,i suggest Dragon or Baron are going to beat back.

E.G Dragon is going flying back to sky. Baron is going back to underground.

Thank you

Volksjaeger

06-06-2014

But dont make the same mistake as you did with the Twisted Treeline, DONT DELETE THE OLD MAP!

I hope you will give me the old TT back some day.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=2694690

Knightress

06-06-2014

Overall, I think the Summoner's Rift VU is a great success. It surpassed my expectations in many ways. The background (outside of the rift), the base, nexus, turrets, all beautiful. The blue buff golem is amazing with the two little elementals at its side. PERFECT! I'm not too crazy about the red buff creature, but it's a fine change. I can list a lot of praises about the new Summoners Rift, but I want to focus on some things that should change or I feel will add frosting on the cake. Please hear me out:

1) Dragon looks a bit strange. I'm not really a fan of it. Looks more like a Wyvern than a Dragon, unless that was the intention. The coloring also doesn't really tickle my fancy.

2) The grass/brush could use better textures/deeper coloring. It looks really dried out and out of place for the rest of the environment.

3) The fire in midlane and throughout the map looks a bit crappy, update that to make it look cooler.

4) While the river looks nicer with better flow, perhaps something could be done to make that look even cooler? Make the river flow even faster/harder perhaps. Splash effects walking through it (Not sure if confirmed?)

5) Baron Spawning animation isn't great. I would have it do a sort of slithering upwards serpent thing with a really fearsome roar (Not sure if possible with the model).

6) Baron has these 3 tentacle things with mouths on them in the cinematic, but not in the VU model. I really would like to see those tentacles on the model. They should be used to attack perhaps multiple people around Baron or perhaps used to sweep/push everyone away from Baron.

7) Why does Baron need to spawn in the river? I know he's always been in the river, but I feel he should be on a slightly raised platform of stone that you can walk up to. Him being in water never made sense to me. Inside of the stone lair you can add cool scary things to an already pretty awesome area. Same goes for Dragon. Have it be on a raised stone platform with either treasure or bones in the pit.

8) The new frog creatures (is this thing called gromp?) area looks pretty nice, but what if the frog was in some kind of purple goo or mud? Doesn't have to be a large area, but a puddle of some kind that it sits in would be great and have it bubble up every now and then.

9) I haven't obviously seen the map in game yet, so I can't say with 100% certainty that the video is what it will look like on my screen..but the map looks a bit..desaturated. The "Jungle" looks a bit too...muddy/cavernous? Lots of rock and too little grass. If that's the new direction that's OK, but if you want it to be a jungle maybe some more green and a bit less rock/dirt.

10) I actually liked a lot of the lighting effects from fire in the jungle. I know it doesn't make sense to have a torch in wolves or red buff area, but the lighting effects were really nice to look at..maybe have them in other areas...pathways..something would be great.

Would be really cool to see Lava somewhere on the rift..maybe near Baron's pit. Who knows, but this suggestion is more optional.

Critkeeper

06-06-2014

And in order for a river to flow, it needs a source and a mouth.

How about a waterfall on the top of the map from chunk of forest in front of tribrush via a natural spring on the top.

And that way the river could naturally flow downwards. Instead of a patch of grass and earth splitting two pools of water in the mid lane, we could have mid lane be a bridge over water. A stone bridge, old. Ancient really. Collapsed, with overgrown vegetation and vines making it look ancient, and keeping the ground palette for the bridge matching the rest of the ground elsewhere on the map and making it look reasonably crossable from the river onto the bridge sideways. Water makes its way beneath the cracks and gapes in the stone mess.

And at the bottom chunk of forest in front of tri brush we could have a cave where the water flows into. And when baron spawns the river becomes angry and bats fly out of the cave. And maybe the baron could bleed in the water, and carry it down the map slowly, to make "sneaking" unwarded baron even riskier.

Something evil could reside in the cave to the south, the spirit of the Blood god. You have to have 5 people dancing in front of the cave in order to hear the blood god's plea for more blood. And the only thing on the map with enough blood to sate the blood god is baron nashor. Maybe you could get a quest to return the egg of the griffon at the natural spring from the clutches of the dragon, or a quest to feed the blood god blood of baron nashor.

Besides it would prompt new players to explore the map and would provide a convenient explanation as to what the dragon gold and experience and the baron buff actually comes from. The gold from the griffon in gratitude, and the buff from the evil entity in the southern cave.

In other words, make the map interactive. Make it feel old and hostile and ALIVE.

Whats that?

SQUEEK SQUEEK SQUEEK

Bats??!!

Why is the river angry this day?

What is causing this surge of water?

WHAT TEH FACK IS DAT?!!

KILL TEH WORMGOD!

sooo much blood
SOOO MUCH BLOOD FOR TEH BLOOD GOD

*enemy team
What the heck? The rivers run red? Why?!
Where is this coming from

WAT?!

NOW IS OUR CHANCE
SAVE THE WORM GOD! KILL THE HEATHENS!

Coredor

06-06-2014

I made a post similar to this in another thread but, the depth and defined edges of the wolf camp really concern me. It really looks like it's going to be a lot harder to sneak up on people doing blue because of the vision radius. And slamming them into the wall with people like vayne or poppy is also going to be more difficult.

MrScratch

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-06-2014

The map was very impressive. From what I seen from the recent video it feels ALOT more immersive then the original. However for me it feels like League and it's 95% summoner's rift dedication as a whole feels like a Honda Civic that they keep upgrading over and over again. At the start you slowly upgraded the car's engine, then it's interior so that everything was functioning to the best of it's ability and now that it's purring just right you're working on the body. Improving it's overall visual without going to crazy on the spoiler and stickers. It's shaping out to be a real nice ride but there's only so much you can do with a 90's import before it loses it's flair and people move on.

Brendan1928

06-06-2014

The change in monsters - will this mean Nunu's 'q' gets different buffs?

alfred0

06-06-2014

climate system pls~~!!!!!!!

iAteMyVegetables

06-06-2014

Ok so I noticed that the turrets from red and blue side are different. The thing is though I feel the red ones are way more epic. You see that light coming from it as well, just like what you see at the nexus. While blue side just looks like normal turrets only ofcourse better looking, but they're just in the ground like normal. So is that final or will the blue side also get that light from it, just a different design than the red side.

Also I wonder why there are no differences in turret designs from red/blue side nexus turrets and inhib turrets. It would be great if Nexus turrets would look the strongest 'cause it's protecting the most important thing, and even the Inhib turrets they're more important than the lane turrets imo. It would be so great to see some variety, maybe even something as simple as difference in sizes. And I feel like the Nexus is too small, since it's the most important thing, if you destroy that you win, so it being that small, I don't know, it feels less epic.

Tl;dr I hope that the turrets get more variety. (Lane, Inhib, Nexus turrets. And difference in red/blue side) And that the Nexus becomes bigger so it has more of an epic feel.