Summoner's Rift Map Design feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

eXigenT

06-07-2014

Are you going to mirror the double golem positions for purple side so that they match blue side then? As of right now, the big golem is positioned further away from the turret on blue, whereas on purple he is situated closer to the turret.

steijn

06-07-2014

not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but about the day/night cycle not being possible, you say it isn't possible because the lighting is painted on.

but would it be possible to make different maps?
i would LOVE to see there being multiple times on the map, if i'd play at night it'd be dark, when it's morning it'd be bright like now, maybe even dusk/dawn times would be very amazing to me

cauliflower

06-07-2014

I think one of the blueside/purpleside issues is that blue gets much easier access to baron. It also bothers me that you can effectively remove the other team's vision on it with a single vision ward. In order to steal from purple side you need to spam wards into the pit, and use a ranged nuke ability, or have a jungler with a gap closer, otherwise flash in and sacrifice yourself, whereas blue side can walk in and out more easily. For purple side to invade baron, they have to go through the jungle entrance to the river just north of midlane or alllll the way through toplane tribush. The split is huge. Blue can invade baron through bluebuff and their midlane/jungle entrance, and the two are close enough together that they can remerge if one flank were to be engaged upon, leaving blueside with much more flexibility.

Here, this'll explain what I'm talking about.

http://postimg.org/image/6ja76d54v/

I'm suggesting that the river entrance I marked with an asterisk be moved a little higher (the wall just south of it extended) and given a bush like the entrance just across from it.

When purple is forced to through that asterisked entrance, they're extremely susceptible to aoe. Blue doesn't have that issue, they can go in from their two entrances simultaneously with no penalty; they can avoid aoe a lot easier.

iAteMyVegetables

06-08-2014

Ok so I noticed that the turrets from red and blue side are different. The thing is though I feel the red ones are way more epic. You see that light coming from it as well, just like what you see at the nexus. While blue side just looks like normal turrets only ofcourse better looking, but they're just in the ground like normal. So is that final or will the blue side also get that light from it, just a different design than the red side.

Also I wonder why there are no differences in turret designs from red/blue side nexus turrets and inhib turrets. It would be great if Nexus turrets would look the strongest 'cause it's protecting the most important thing, and even the Inhib turrets they're more important than the lane turrets imo. It would be so great to see some variety, maybe even something as simple as difference in sizes. And I feel like the Nexus is too small, since it's the most important thing, if you destroy that you win, so it being that small, I don't know, it feels less epic.

Tl;dr I hope that the turrets get more variety. (Lane, Inhib, Nexus turrets. And difference in red/blue side) And that the Nexus becomes bigger so it has more of an epic feel.

Sam9801

06-08-2014

Dunno if you saw it, but someone posted earlier on in the thread based on in game events, environmental or gameplay effects could be changed, such as lightning flashing when there is a pentakill, or when baron is slain the area around it lightens etc

sG MikeSkwenChei

06-08-2014

Make 10 vs 10 Map or 5 vs 5 vs 5 Map. WOULD BE AWESOME!

Skwiwel

06-09-2014

Hi RiotForScience!
1. Firstly I want to warn you about the visibility of effects disappearing at the edges of screen in the spothlight video. I know this is a common way to increase performance in a lot of games but it's very noticable here (1:10-1:14 in the river for example). Maybe just far this effect a bit or smth, idk.
2. You really need to make some fancy minion spawn animation. Something like they come out of a door in the ground or just some particles. I would personaly prefer the door, because I feel the SR more of an true arena rather than 100% imaginary "summoned" place. While the champions are surely summoned the rest should feel like this is their real place.
3. I do also have an idea with dragon. It would be pretty epic if before his spawn the dragon flew above top and mid lanes and his shadow could be visible. Like you would normally duel your midlane opponent and suddenly a purely visual dragon shadow crosses the path on its way to his pit.

Penteano

06-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
That is a dreamy camera. Great ideas here!
Is there anyone from Riot working on this then? I miss playing LoL but can't do it now that lolcamera broke (since patch 4.8) and developer isn't going to fix in respect to Riot's decision. That camera also made me feel my ping a lot less, don't know why but it really did.

aceofsween

06-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
Could you post a screenshot of the issue? If I can reproduce it it will make it easier to resolve

also if you could post the issue/screenshot here http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...388140&page=10
that way it doesnt get lost on GD
Here are the screenshots that RiotForScience asked for. When I took this, the Golem was actually auto attacking me, but I lose vision as it moves from his initial position to where it ends up standing. When it attacks me, I regain vision of it again. You can clearly see that the entire camp is lit up behind the Golems, but the large Golem is not visible. It actually causes your character to cancel an auto attack and move forward.

My guess (based on seeing the nav-mesh in the Dev Blog) is that as you move around the corner of the terrain, your vision gets clipped on the very edge of the corner and it's a question of whether or not you should have any vision of that location at all.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen06.jpg (359.3 KB, 30 views)