Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Tentative Idea for the DD tournament

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

molokodude

03-18-2014

Quote:
Nyx87:
Like a mentor...for dominion...we could call it Dominion Mentors or something!

Yo nyx was it you who the other day in chat said he'd be willing to resume streaming it with casted inhouses etc? cause the only mentor left reguarly is a12mo12

Redeemed In Fire

03-18-2014

No one asks me anything :< not much anyway. I'm still active.

wolferer

03-18-2014

Quote:
ZallKlos:
The real problem is that the lower tier teams never meet eachother. If you want to win the tournament, you will need to beat the top teams, nobody will argue that.

What people kinda wants is the bronze lvl teams kinda face eachother somewhere in the tournament(like in a loser bracket). Bronze team #1 that got 480-0 to 3v3 in R1 vs Bronze team #2 that got 490-0 to Clueless in R1 kind of match.

Of course, double elimination will add like another 2 hours or something to the tournament. And not everybody can stay until Sunday.

Assuming only winner bracket games are casted, double elim adds one match to the tournament. The one between the winners bracket final loser, and the losers bracket final winner. So more like 1 hour extra.

Why is this? Because casted games take like twice as long as normal games. There will be a few extra rounds to cull down the losers bracket, but those games will pass before the winner's bracket finishes its thing.

I think double elim would be great. Start it an hour early to keep the east coaster's happy. It already starts really late by tournament standards. Don't see why we can't just try it one week and see how much time it actually adds in practice.

ZallKlos

03-18-2014

I would say 2 hours if you factor in ****s that happen during and between game.

AlphaFerric

03-18-2014

I'm still a fan of double elimination (I think I remember admins saying they were willing as well?). The extra time, to me at least, says you just need to start earlier so it ends at roughly the same time.

But really, incentive to get new teams to play falls on: likelihood of winning (anything), degree of fun, time available (very similar to a lot of competitive esports). I've tried to skew the odds on the first and second with bounties, but the exposure seems pretty low (mainly me being bad at bumping, but also lack of bounties).

The last part I've never really heard anything about. The tourney has always been roughly at the same time in my memory, but starting earlier to allow double elim then might mess with the first two aspects enough.

As for your idea, I'd love this as part of a Sunday (mildly ****s and giggles) tourney.

Nexus Crawler

03-18-2014

Throwing this out there (tho it would be hell to the admins). You could do multiple tourneys over the week for different MMR groupings. Say roughly low, mid, and high where the already high ranking teams would still have Saturdays. This of course would need more people joining (min 8 teams per tourney I believe) but could condense time while offering fair advancement into higher ranked tourneys without having the rolfstomp in round 1 experience.

AzuriteFlame

03-18-2014

I'd play if the teams were somehow assorted. I didn't read the thread but for example if there are 30 people pick 6 captains randomly and they choose their team. Hopefully the captains know who's good and it would be somewhat balanced. Or pick the previous winning team and they all become captains.

Gungho Gun Lion

03-18-2014

Quote:
Koravel:
snip

I like this idea, but the bounty shouldnt be eligible for 1st place team because teams might be Clueless and a new guy

DG Denz Brujah

03-18-2014

From a Player Standpoint:

I'm going to be brutally honest

Random Teams Never Work PERIOD!

Cohesiveness, Instinct, Situational Response/Awareness, Communication, etc. are the building blocks of all good teams.

The best of the best got there because they play together, practice together, worked together. I have been on numerous teams, many didn't put in the effort, many didn't practice or try to elevate their games, most expected instant results and bailed when it didn't work, and many were just tossed together from randoms wanting to play competitively. Finding Dedicated people to play with and who are willing to invest months/years into building a team just doesn't happen often.

From an Admins Standpoint:

Randomed teams would be a FN nightmare. Many times we get teams that don't sign up till 5 minutes before registration closes. Then we have to verify match results, with rosters to make sure each roster is correct, and we have to do that with each and every game. And lets be real, I would wholly expect at least one rage quit from someone who doesn't get a choice team, or people claiming team rigging, etc. Then there's the matter of making the team on Moba, Who takes screenshots, etc. All in All, it will either run smoothly or be a complete FLUSTER CUCK.

On the subject of Double Elimination:

Time is the enemy. Most of the times the final teams and Admins don't finish till nearly 12-1am EST.
Adding a Secondary Bracket adds more work for the admins, and adds more time to the event, because lets face it even the veteran teams have trouble getting lobbies together sometimes. Toss in the fact that we stream matches and now we are talking about adding 1-3hrs to the event. That is a lot to ask for admins, and for players who have expressed that many would not be unable to play at an earlier/later time.

DG Denz Brujah

03-18-2014

Now that's not to say there shouldn't be some form of Minor League Tournament
it would be nice if some of the "Pro" teams (3v3, Clueless, etc) mentored aspiring teams. This would give new teams incentive to form the building blocks, give them incite on how the best got to be the best, and could breathe new life back into the scene.