Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

AP Kogmaw? DPS? Or Hybrid?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AreYouReady2Die

01-10-2011

You probably hate playing kog because you're builds weak, wit's end is far better than sword of divine now(42 per hit vs 100 every what 10 hits?), and stark's with 2 magic damage items?

Try madrid/malady/wit's/sorc boots/Hextech gunblade/frozen mallet instead(or stark's)

Warrrrax

01-10-2011

Quote:
AreYouReady2Die:
You probably hate playing kog because you're builds weak, wit's end is far better than sword of divine now(42 per hit vs 100 every what 10 hits?), and stark's with 2 magic damage items?

Try madrid/malady/wit's/sorc boots/Hextech gunblade/frozen mallet instead(or stark's)

You dont even know what the items do, so your opinion may not exactly be the best.

All 3 magical damage items are pretty viable.

Sword of Divine adds 60% AS which is a heck of a lot. It deals 100 dmg every 4th hit, or average of +25 per attack. It also has a modest clickie active.

Malady adds 25AP which isnt very good, and 50% AS which is decent. It deals 20 damage per hit magical, so its not quite as good as above. HOWEVER, it has the ability to shred MResist by 6 per attack (24 max), so combined with Sorc Shoes and MPen runes, this can really boost your attack damage.

Wits End adds 40% AS, but adds the most magical damage at 42 per hit. The extra MR is valuable too. While a good item, its slightly more expensive and adds more Damage than AS. For Kog, we really want as much AS as possible over damage... at least for the first item.

Hence, I go with Sword of the Divine first and then Malady and then work on Bloodrazor.

TheLandPrawn

04-26-2011

AD. AP isn't that strong.

You would need about 900-1000 AP to get his ult to do just 800 damage. So realistically, with 500 AP, you're ult would only hit for 500 damage per hit. 600 at most.

Well honestly... On a 1 second cooldown, 500-600 damage is pretty awesome. Its range is also somewhat a factor, taking into account that it is massive. Being able to spam 500-600 damage on a 1 second cooldown without having to get anywhere near a real fight makes an AP Kog'maw quite dangerous.

Alcalz

04-26-2011

I get Trinity force first, then bloodrazor. Why? Because Trinity means I do sweet damage with that first hit after activating BaB, Kog's low cds means he can continually proc the item, and he benefits from the AP, the AD, the mana and the health... but really, you get it for four reasons.
1) A slow
2) Attack speed
3) Movement speed
4) the damage proc.

It's a very powerful item if you get it early, and he benefits from all parts of it. Once you have that and a bloodrazor, you barely need more damage and can get yourself a banshee's, and then pen if required.

The only thing to remember is that Kog does almost 100% magic damage if you go bloodrazor. BaB and MBR are all magic % damage.

LaserKnight

04-26-2011

I usually have the most success (and fun) with Magic Pen/Attack Speed. Ability Power/Attac Damage are nice tertiary stats to invest in, but AD forces you to get into auto-attack range more frequently and AP has mediocre ratios on all but Void Ooze. My usual build is:

Doran's Ring - Mainly for the mana regen and health. Could potentially start with something else.
Sorcerers' Shoes & Haunting Guise - The combined MPen let's R and E take HUGE chunks out of enemies. Usually can dominate the lane by the time I have these. The additional health from Haunting Guise makes Kog'Maw deceptively durable mid-game.
Malady - Makes W terrifying, while also giving E and R more punch when you're trying to chew through a tough target.

Then it's usually luxury items like Madred's Bloodrazor, Void Staff, Wits End, and Banshee's Veil. If you like raining death as much as I do, you might also wan't to invest in Mana Regen/MPen runes.

There's nothing quite as satisfying as nailing a kill with R through the fog of war.

Kuryaka

04-27-2011

AS Kog is most viable, damage-wise. He'll be able to tear up champs with his on-hit effects, most pure damage but can be countered with magres... if you don't build a counter for their counter!

AP Kog is poking stick/earlygame. Dangerous against most squishies due to his sniping power, though at higher rankings people actually learn to dodge it. So you have to set up with Void Ooze beforehand, or just take a side lane with a CC champ for more winz.

AD Kog.. never tried. Hard to stop his damage, but you're kind of losing the spirit of Kog'Maw.

I generally rush Tear after starting with boots, and go from there seeing what the enemy has. I might LaserKnight's magpen build, sounds dangerous against squishies. Especially since his ult does NOT scale well with AP.

Mykra

04-27-2011

Yeah, AS Kog is the way to go. Madred's is a must. Also, if you're attacking fast enough, sure. Either get defensive items or some more AD is dandy. With W, his damage is seriously just too legit. Especially as you get more attack speed.
But if you plan on using him in draft pick or low ELO blind, sure, AP is cool as a counter-pick or just for fun times. But his ult is ****ing easy to dodge. You have to get the timing down perfectly and learn to anticipate enemy movements or AP Kog is useless.
Straight AD.. naw, dude. naw. If he's not attacking fast and there's no additional Madred's effect, you might as well play ashe or MF or something. AS Kog'maw works because of his OP as **** health chipping ability.

Spencer

04-27-2011

I think they fill different roles. I exclusively play AP though. AD is awesome for 7 seconds and he is often times focused hard because of it. Try an MPen build.

As AP instead of being the tank killer, you are the obnoxious poker. If the other team doesn't want to hit you with the keyboard by the time you are level 11 then you have failed. In many team fights, AP Koggy can take one or two champs to half health and make them nervous about committing. Plus while your q and w can do good damage, your ooze does insane damage (relatively) and can be used as a nuke as often as CC (caveat: be careful when you use it as a nuke as you might need it to run later).

Plus if fun is important to you, AP Koggy is significantly more fun.

Best guide IMO:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=181280

Spencer

04-27-2011

Oh and it must be said,: AD Kog is only viable if you can get a mean farm going on. AP is viable from level 6... plus due to the more nuke like nature of AP koggy, you are actually able to kill AD koggy even if he is farmed... and that is fun too.

Degnared

04-27-2011

Well, I used to build AS/mpen w/ Kog. I felt like that got the most out of his kit, without relying on his pretty weak AP build. I went:

Sorc boots
Haunting Guise, IF my lane opponent got early MR, otherwise I skipped it.
Malady
Bloodrazor
Wit's End/Sword of the Divine (usually wit's, depended on enemy team)
Banshee's
Situational Item, replacing the Guise if necessary

MPen Kog is a great solo lane champ. I really haven't found any champs that can successfully harass you after you hit 6, and you can either farm or go for a kill at your leisure, ensuring a pretty good start to your late game. And you're not gimped, since you transition to autoattack damage later (though you still primarily do magic damage).

But based on it's popularity I decided to try AD, and holy **** it's strong late game.

I was EASILY able to build this is a 40 minute game:

Zerker Greaves
Bloodrazor
Phantom Dancer
Banshee's
Infinity Edge
Phantom Dancer

Enemy champions just melted. In the future, I'll try building a black cleaver instead of one of the PDs, but I'm really liking this build. The biggest issue I found was that, in team fights, if their DPS wasn't dead by the time your Bio-Arcane Barrage wares off, you'll probably die trying to move into autoattack range, since your spells are really worthless damage-wise. Also, by level 11 your ult basically becomes only useful for scouting, since it's damage after people start building magic resist is really poor.