Why don't we have ranked FAQ

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ekis the Seraph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

03-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by FergusMacBolg View Post
Well I guess there is the leagues thing now, but they've already done all the back-end work on it. How hard could it be?
It's not hard from a coding standpoint, they've already done it before so it's not like it's terribly hard and on top of that they already have a framework to work upon. I'm with Koravel; they were lying then or they're lying now, either way I'm hesitant to believe any of the fluff they put out unless they can drop hard facts :\


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nexus Crawler

Senior Member

03-16-2014

As I'm not a programmer the one thing I can think of that might be an issue is changing the coding to the MMR system. I wouldn't imaging that taking a lot of work but again I'm no programmer.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chavez Obama

Senior Member

03-16-2014

There's a lot of things Riot could do that would be low energy input, but they don't. Why? We have some pretty good ideas. All we know is they thing the current method, "bare bones input", is best. This is the way it has been for the past... year? I don't even remember anymore.

But yeah, Riot doesn't do lots of things that should be easy to implement if they really want to promote the mode (Dom first win of the day, making announcements about Dominion, ranked [hey, TT manages to have it...], Red presence on the forum, Rioters playing the game mode, working to feature streamers [one time Feedski was featured]) Though, it is possible that League of Legends is coded too poorly to make adding these things a simple task.

Riot is a slave to their quarterly profits. That is the bottom line. They are a big business. Dominion is either a poor investment of resources, or a threat in their opinion. Why work twice as hard for two game modes (Dom + SR for example) with little more potential revenue, than for one game mode (SR Only).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Learnfromthat

Member

03-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavez Obama View Post
There's a lot of things Riot could do that would be low energy input, but they don't. Why? We have some pretty good ideas. All we know is they thing the current method, "bare bones input", is best. This is the way it has been for the past... year? I don't even remember anymore.

But yeah, Riot doesn't do lots of things that should be easy to implement if they really want to promote the mode (Dom first win of the day, making announcements about Dominion, ranked [hey, TT manages to have it...], Red presence on the forum, Rioters playing the game mode, working to feature streamers [one time Feedski was featured]) Though, it is possible that League of Legends is coded too poorly to make adding these things a simple task.

Riot is a slave to their quarterly profits. That is the bottom line. They are a big business. Dominion is either a poor investment of resources, or a threat in their opinion. Why work twice as hard for two game modes (Dom + SR for example) with little more potential revenue, than for one game mode (SR Only).
A slave to their quarterly profits? Riot generated $624 million in revenue in 2013. Yeah I think they have plenty of room to not be slave to profits. How greedy must they be?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chavez Obama

Senior Member

03-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learnfromthat View Post
A slave to their quarterly profits? Riot generated $624 million in revenue in 2013. Yeah I think they have plenty of room to not be slave to profits. How greedy must they be?
That's not how business works.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Learnfromthat

Member

03-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavez Obama View Post
That's not how business works.
It is unless you work for Scrooge and Marley who only care about profits. Business eh? Mankind should be their business.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nexus Crawler

Senior Member

03-16-2014

Considering all they would really need to do is spare a little money they invest in thematical **** at an LCS tourney they could then afford to hire 5+ people for a year to work exclusively on dominion. Yeah.

Also how many people work on creating featured game modes? That takes a reasonable amount of recoding. They could have put them on Dominion for 6 months and had a lot of changes released or at the least some balancing and bug fixes.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ekis the Seraph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

03-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus Crawler View Post
...
Also how many people work on creating featured game modes? That takes a reasonable amount of recoding. They could have put them on Dominion for 6 months and had a lot of changes released or at the least some balancing and bug fixes.
This. All of that manpower that was spent on Hexakill, One for All, and other featured modes that lasted like a weekend could have been spent on Dominion.

Let's face it, honestly they could give Dominion Ranked anytime they want to. They could easily port over the same League system that is used by TT, force Ranked Draft with Teams only, and everything would be fine, people would be perfectly complacent with just that. It's not like when they made Dominion they used a completely new algorithm for factoring ELO, and I'm sure the coding's there already since they easily moved SR and TT over into the League system.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nexus Crawler

Senior Member

03-16-2014

Sadly I'd even be willing to compromise. Slap 2 more featured games in (making 5 total thus far) and cycle them some while they shift man-power to dominion for a couple of months. Doesn't even matter right now if we got a ranked mode immediately since they could lay the ground work for balance tuning or map improvements which could lead in to future improvements and ranked.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Redeemed In Fire

Senior Member

03-16-2014

Ugh, i don't have the energy to spend writing a long post on this.

Tl;Dr:

1. Brackhar could have been over-excited or mis communicated in the hype around Dom release. Similarly, Nome could have misunderstood or miscommunicated the requirements. No need to jump to "riot is lying".

2. Pragmatically, ranked does next to zero for Dominion now. If we can pry that much effort out of riot, I'd rather do it in PR or changes departments.

3. Do any of you program? Have you looked at Riot's code base? No offense, but it's not easy to say "well riot should just do x". Well i mean it is, but that doesn't change whether the task is actually difficult.