Collaboration Of Guides

123456 ... 11
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lollerman

08-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangu View Post
I am sure I can and will keep a close eye on this thread and once there are more guides I will actually have a way to put things in order without making my post a page long. The main point of this is most people fail at using the search guide or just dont want to. I know people that will wade though 40 pages to look for one thread. This is to ease that and makes it a lot better for a lot of people. I am not going to post every single guide here if most of them are about the same except a different item or two. I am mainly looking for the best guides for a specific role a champions plays. Reason in first post I said I would name what the guide is if it is told. I am no expert on melee classes so when I read their guide I have no idea if it is one of many ways to play or the only way to play that champion. And I do know there is not only one way but for some there is one main way that all people play then other creative ways.
I see your point entirely, however, some problems I see with your particular approach:

- did you get the guide author's permission?
- does the amount of guides we have thus far warrant a "summary"?
- how are you able to determine which guides are good for everybody else?

Not huge issues, but issues none the less:

1) Not getting permission is negligible, but it's personally a touchy subject, but you need not worry about this, considering people wouldn't care so long as you're not taking credit for it or anything silly like that.

2) Rather than argue that people are too lazy to use the search feature, you could, instead, make a guide on the search feature? We don't have enough guides as it is, and like I've mentioned, you won't find it in yourself to read through every second scrub guide newbies decide to post once the game goes gold, so you'll have no way of accounting for all the guides of one particular champion, making your "short cut thread" essentially useless.

3) So guides posted in your thread are the creme of the crop? Who decided that? "Premium guides" should be voted on and decided by the appropriate authority (well known competitive players, Riot staff, Emissaries, and maybe a mass poll), not by personal discretion. As things are now, your "link to other guides" is no more than a list of your personal favourite guides that cannot be applied universally.

I'm just trying to say, what you're doing seem a bit futile, and even if you pull it off, it won't do too much good, and probably go unappreciated. Rather than that, you could do more practical things, like write a guide about how to use the search feature to search through the guides section?

Lollerman

08-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoshi View Post
I think it will be better once it goes to open beta, and we can post guides on say gamefaqs.com. They have strict guide rules, and will make things better.
Their guides are all text based - which is fine - but for comprehensive guides riddled with awesome screen shots and in-game art, there's no place better than these forums. I'd hate to lose out in terms of community simply because people went their to look for guides; our guides/strategy section should be THE place for LoL resources.

And, AFAIK, GameFAQs just make a big deal out of standardising copyright/disclaimers/version updates/sourcing, nothing about the actual content of the guide; any and all formatting is up to the guide authors themselves... there's nothing really forcing people to write good guides (other than community feedback)

We'll see more guides as the game goes into open beta I guess; I'm sure some DotA vets who used to hang around in the strategies/guides section on the dotaAS forums would be glad to fill in the blanks with superior quality guides.

Vangu

08-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollerman View Post
3) So guides posted in your thread are the creme of the crop? Who decided that? "Premium guides" should be voted on and decided by the appropriate authority (well known competitive players, Riot staff, Emissaries, and maybe a mass poll), not by personal discretion. As things are now, your "link to other guides" is no more than a list of your personal favourite guides that cannot be applied universally.

I'm just trying to say, what you're doing seem a bit futile, and even if you pull it off, it won't do too much good, and probably go unappreciated. Rather than that, you could do more practical things, like write a guide about how to use the search feature to search through the guides section?
Actually I picked the first guides in my post by two ways. One as you have said yourself there is not enough guides so I took what I saw. If there happen to be more then one guide that I took to be the same general idea on a play style but was different enough to warrant their own guide but not different enough for a person to need both. Anyways I picked those guides by the people that post in the forums that use the guides..who else? If I see two of the same general guides and one has tons more people putting "oh this guide helped me..etc" I would pick those over the lesser ones. Yes this is not a great system but as I have said I do not play all champions so if people took the time to reply on a given guide I can only assume that is for the fact the guide is actually helpful. As pointless posting here is well pointless as there is no post counter (that I have seen) or anything that makes people need to post a lot.

Well this thread has went entirely off what I was wanting..can we stop derailing it? I feel I have justified myself and the post more then enough.

RoarMan

Adjudicator

08-11-2009

Not sure why Vanug's being attacked on this one. He merely wants to put together a list of comprehensive guides. Sure Ryoshi has one, but it's a PDF compilation and some people not might want that. OFC the argument of wether or not Vangu is to judge the quality of the guide is valid, this is still a nice thread to have around in my opinion. He's not taking credit for the guides, you make it sound like he's trying to pass it off as his own.

I have to agree with Lollerman on one thing, good guides should stay in the LoL community. They will come on their own un-forced like the have in the DA forums.

Vangu

08-11-2009

I have edited the main post to make it better to find what guide you want. It will go though a decent amount of changes once more guides come up.

Vangu

08-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollerman View Post
As things are now, your "link to other guides" is no more than a list of your personal favourite guides that cannot be applied universally.
Just noticed this in that whole list. None of this is my personal favorite. I pick the ones (as I have said many times) that the majority of the people that posted in the guide thread liked. So again if people dont seem to like the guide or have tons of issues with it for X reason then well I am not going to add it as it seems to have a problem in it. Not to say the guide does not work for the person that posted it but it does not seem to appeal to the people that were actually looking for a guide to up their game.

Snig

08-11-2009

Can we retitle this thread to something like: A list of links to Guides

The collaboration through me off, I thought it was some kind of group effort on one or more specific guides not links to guides made by the community.

Vangu

08-11-2009

Yeah I guess that can be throw people off but I cant really name it for what it is a "list" as someone already took that...

Meh oh well. I changed it to List of Guides but does not seem to change the actual post..so not sure

Edit: Altered the names a little and make them look nicer.

JarL

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-11-2009

Wow... just wow. Lollerman are you honestly attacking someone for taking a small amount of time to make one post devoted to finding any and all useful guides? It is simply a far easier way to organize and assist an new (or old) players in finding something slightly faster.

Vangu, thank you for taking the time to put this together. Lollerman, if you must troll do it elsewhere.

Vangu

08-11-2009

Thank you for the first and only good reply to this so far. If I thought/knew I was going to get flamed for wasting my time I wouldn't have done this.

123456 ... 11