should i learn more champs for ranked? or should i improve on the ones i know.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GIJose65

03-11-2014

I have decided to take the plunge into ranked solo to see where i will land, back in season 3 i have placed into silver 3 by winning 6/10 of my games. Right now im winning about 1/5 of my matches so far and i might end up in the lower levels of bronze. In terms of the champions that i pick, i play alot of trist, i also play as twitch but i feel like im not good enough with him for ranked play. In the support role, my go-to supports are janna and taric, the only problem is that im not good going against the thresh/leona/Annie army in ranked. I sort of have an issue with picking a proper mid main, I really like going as TF but he is very weak at the moment, the only other mid laner i can think of is lux but hardly play her that much.

TLDR: should i even play ranked right now? should I brush up on my champ pool before i go into ranked?

Wrekx

03-12-2014

If I'm trying to climb the ranked ladder I basically only play Fizz and Tristana and avoid jungling because it's just not my thing. I may counter pick other champions, but they're still comfort picks for me.

That doesn't mean I'm not as good with other champions or postions, including jungling. Basically, if you're not carrying most games on your mains you've reached your height and might as well learn new champs.

SeCKS Egai

03-12-2014

I try to have 3 champs for each role since you're bound to be doing all of them at one point and time. I focus heavily on one for each role but am still comfortable in at least 3 in case of banning or opposition takes it.

JanosWuryon

03-12-2014

You need to be able to play someone at all the roles. Ideally have 2 choices per role in case your main gets banned, selected before you get them. Also if your playing ranked get the idea of champs you like out of your head! This is a competative format and some champs are trash tier so move on. You should see the champs who are very good at each position and buy them to trade and try to learn them as well.

Madraac

03-12-2014

Everyone above is correct... you need a great pool of champs that you are very comfortable with. Start trying to use Lux as a support / AP in bottom in normal to get a feel, as she is still a semi viable support. It will help you build your cadre of go to champs, and keep you in practice for when you need to go Lux mid. Look at picking up 2 champs that have good options to run Top or Jungle. Shyvana and Elise are two solid choices that can either lane or jungle, but both get banned at times.

For your ADC's, you have one that your good with, and another you like, so keep practicing Twitch until you are truly comfortable.

The only comment I would say is that if you end up in Bronze, you may want to dump Janna for a while. Most bronze players do not understand her kit well enough to capitalize on diving when shielded with the AD boost / damage reduction, or understand that your ult is often about positioning, not the heal. However, Janna can run mid for you in a pinch if you are good with her, just do not max her shield until closer to late game.