FPS Issues With 2012 Retina MBP

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MingySpaff

03-09-2014

Here's what I'm running:

• 15.4" Retina MBP
  • 2.6/3.6 GHz Ivy Bridge Core i7, 8GB RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce GT 650M
  • 512GB SSD

It seems that half of the time, the game runs perfectly fine at 60 FPS (I have it capped) with around medium settings ("Very High" characters models, everything else "Medium" or below). I'm running the game at 1600x1050, nowhere near the native retina resolution. I know that my computer should be able to run this at 60 FPS the entire way through, but I'm encountering very random intermittent FPS drops down to exactly 30 FPS (no lower). I can be standing in the middle of a giant creep wave with their particles hitting me and run the game smoothly, but I could be walking to lane or looking into the fog of war at some torches and have my FPS cut immediately in half. This sort of ruins the smooth game experience for me, so can anyone explain why this happens? I've used "Discrete Only" on gfxCardStatus in hopes that my computer was using the Intel HD 4000 chip while running league, but it's the 650M that leads to FPS drops. Awkwardly enough, the HD 4000 has more consistent performance, running between 50-60 FPS the entire way through. Is there anything I can do to fix this issue?

Diolex

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-10-2014

I get pretty much the same experience with my mid 2012 MacBook Pro 15" retina as well. Same specs too.

Xeculus

Recruiter

03-11-2014

That's weird, I have the 2013 rMBP and have experienced no FPS issues. Running maximum settings and capped at 80fps, it works great. Uncapped, I average at about 100-110 fps.

Specs:
- 2.3/3.5 GHz Crystalwell Core i7, 16GB RAM
- Nvidia GeForce GT 750M
- 512GB SSD

What version is your OS?

MingySpaff

03-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeculus View Post
That's weird, I have the 2013 rMBP and have experienced no FPS issues. Running maximum settings and capped at 80fps, it works great. Uncapped, I average at about 100-110 fps.

Specs:
- 2.3/3.5 GHz Crystalwell Core i7, 16GB RAM
- Nvidia GeForce GT 750M
- 512GB SSD

What version is your OS?
I'm running 10.9.2.

Xeculus

Recruiter

03-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MingySpaff View Post
I'm running 10.9.2.
I'm thinking it might be gfxstatus that's the issue maybe?

On my computer, it always uses discrete automatically for League or any other game. You can check what card it's using by looking at the "Energy" tab in Activity Monitor or the "Graphics: " in "About this Mac."