How to play Soraka?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mylon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-07-2011

So the new boots have me wanting to give Soraka another spin, but I'm having a tough time. Her E does very little damage (50 at rank 1! Might as well autoattack), the silence usually happens after someone has cast the spell you wanted to stop them from using anyhow. Her heal does nothing early on. She has potential to turn a spammy lane partner into a beast, but that seems very conditional in solo Q. Her starcall seems to be her best spell early on, but the range is very short and exposes her 200 less HP than everyone else status and it prevents her from using her E as a nuke.

Worst of all is itemization. She needs CDR, tankiness, and AP all at the same time. The boots and Kindlegem provide nice CDR and some extra survivability, but then she has no AP to actually do anything with her spells.

She plays like a carry-support. She does **** early on, relying on her team to carry her, and only until late game does she get to shine. Unfortunately, early game is where the game is often decided.

Alvirirt

01-07-2011

play janna or sona if you want to kill and heal in teamfights

Vanisher Oskar

01-07-2011

best item for soraka is rylas.

crimsonhellkite

01-07-2011

I usually lock in a Rally + Smite Soraka when I want someone else to que dodge so I don't have to wait the 5 minutes. (no joke) I'd like to see Riot try and fix that one! It always makes me laugh though when nobody que dodges.. and I have to be the one to do it, scares me to think that some people are really that idiotic.

Ultraman Wong

01-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylon View Post
She does **** early on, relying on her team to carry her, and only until late game does she get to shine.
Play harrass. Auto-attack a lot, and as soon as you feel that you have no health/mana problem, get starcall and upgrade it to level 2 ASAP, use it to harrass even more, and use infuse as yet another harrass tool, especially when they're under the debuff of two or three starcalls.
I try to use infuse when they have less than half their health left and are under the effect of starcall.
It's rare that I actually care to use it as a silence, but it tends to confuse them and let you get a few more hits in for free.

If they're not afraid of you even at 30% HP, starcall as often as you can and when they're about to escape your sphere of influence, use infuse and you might score a kill.

And her heal is NOT trash. It might not heal for much at the first levels, but don't forget that it also gives an armor buff. Treat it as such.

The new CDR boots are most likely NOT the way to go. She definitely needs cooldown reduction, but she also definitely needs mercury's treads. (My second choice is boots of swiftness, but Merc is better.)

Soraka is all about pressure. If you compete with the opponent in a pressure game, you automatically win because you have unlimited health and mana, while the opponent has neither. Drain their blue bar or their health bar. Make them waste their healing potions. Force them to stay at their tower away from your minions. Force them to go back to base to recover.
You don't run up to someone and auto-attack them to death in 5 seconds. You wear them down with starcalls and auto-attacks and punish them hard if they don't go back to base. Force them to play your own game. Give them an open and taunting invitation to pressure you, make yourself look vulnerable, and avoid situations where you'd get spiked.

Mylon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-07-2011

Some sage advice, Ultraman, but it's still rough. Soraka's low base health means even at 100% she can get spiked, which is something many champs can do at any time. Using Starcall to harass OR using heal in any meaningful amount OR using infuse offensively all result in an empty blue bar, except maybe starcall harass but that involves getting in close enough to be hit and then heal starts getting used, so we're back to empty blue bar.

Soraka is fairly unique in that CDR helps her mana problems as well as making her a better support, but her very low base stats make survivability non-negotiable. And if she has that, then she has the problem of her spells not doing enough. For boots in particular, I strongly dislike Merc Treads. It's 450 gold for +1 MR. The unique effect is entirely useless, as one stun often spells death anyway. I'd much rather have an item that helps me from getting in such a position in the first place, such as swiftness for better positioning or possibly the CDR boots to help keep my team in better fighting shape to protect me.

Starting out is rough. The mana aura item seems nice, but is conditional on a strong harassing lanemate. I'm thinking a Doran's shield would serve her best for the slight boost in armor and HP. Going for a cheap item and lots of potions seems fairly wasteful, due to her vulnerability to spiking. I'm normally not a huge fan of health quints, so I'm thinking flat AP quints would be best for making use of her heal's AP ratio. Boots + 3 pots make it slightly easier for her to harass with starcall, but open her up to spiking.

Ultraman Wong

01-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylon View Post
Soraka's low base health means even at 100% she can get spiked, which is something many champs can do at any time.
In the first levels, at 100%, I feel pretty safe. If a character is actually scary, I try to stay away from their range, and auto-attack them when they're attacking minions.

But in most cases, they start by hurting me as much as they can, and when they see that my health always goes back up and my mana bar never falls down, they give up and sit at their tower. They might walk in circles and try to attack me, but as soon as I walk in their direction, they flee because they know they can't kill me and I'll just heal it all out.

(Edit: My summoner spells are exhaust and flash. I think heal and ghost are fine, too. Interchangeable, really, because they all save your life in ways that the others would not.)

Quote:
Using Starcall to harass OR using heal in any meaningful amount OR using infuse offensively all result in an empty blue bar, except maybe starcall harass but that involves getting in close enough to be hit and then heal starts getting used, so we're back to empty blue bar.
Auto-attack is your main harrassment tool. Starcall should not exactly be spammed... Waiting for an opportunity to starcall them twice and follow with infuse before they run out of range is nice, especially if they're already missing some health. And I become more aggressive and spammy with it if my mana is flowing...

But if you're low on mana, just use auto-attacks until you're back to 60% or so.
And again for infuse, I only try to use it if they're already low on health and under the effect of starcall, so most of the time it's used on myself and my lane partner.

I wouldn't say that I never have mana problems, but when my mana is getting low, it just means I need to slow down on the starcalls and use my auto-attacks more often.

Quote:
Soraka is fairly unique in that CDR helps her mana problems as well as making her a better support, but her very low base stats make survivability non-negotiable. And if she has that, then she has the problem of her spells not doing enough. For boots in particular, I strongly dislike Merc Treads. It's 450 gold for +1 MR. The unique effect is entirely useless, as one stun often spells death anyway. I'd much rather have an item that helps me from getting in such a position in the first place, such as swiftness for better positioning or possibly the CDR boots to help keep my team in better fighting shape to protect me.

Starting out is rough. The mana aura item seems nice, but is conditional on a strong harassing lanemate. I'm thinking a Doran's shield would serve her best for the slight boost in armor and HP. Going for a cheap item and lots of potions seems fairly wasteful, due to her vulnerability to spiking. I'm normally not a huge fan of health quints, so I'm thinking flat AP quints would be best for making use of her heal's AP ratio. Boots + 3 pots make it slightly easier for her to harass with starcall, but open her up to spiking.
My runes are mostly AP per level and my starting item is the amplifying tome. Starting AP = better heals, thus better tanking and pressure, and better starcall, thus better damage and fear factor and kill potential. After that I get my boots to level 2 and thornmail. (But now I'm starting to rush Rod of Ages instead of thornmail.)

And my reasoning for merc treads is that it lets you cast your heal sooner, which gives you an armor buff sooner. And the 25 magic resist might be a nice addition to your passive 16 magic resist...

Edit : I feel that this post wasn't very helpful. I don't understand why you feel so squishy at the start. If it helps, my skill order is usually heal, infuse, heal, infuse, starcall, starcall. ...Or heal, infuse, infuse, starcall, starcall, heal.
My goal is to exchange auto-attacks with the opponents, because even if you attack once and get attacked once by a ranged skill, you can typically heal it in one shot, while the enemy is left with only 90% HP. Attack again and they're at 80% while you're still at 100%.

Ultraman Wong

01-07-2011

I noticed that you're much more experienced than me at the game, and you seem to use Kage's Lucky pick, which leads me to believe that you might be starting with the amplifying tome... So I really don't know what to tell you.
Maybe my opposition just sucks so far, but I've fought against plenty of level 30s already... And OniSake seems to have a very similar style to mine.

Onisake

01-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraman Wong View Post
I noticed that you're much more experienced than me at the game, and you seem to use Kage's Lucky pick, which leads me to believe that you might be starting with the amplifying tome... So I really don't know what to tell you.
Maybe my opposition just sucks so far, but I've fought against plenty of level 30s already... And OniSake seems to have a very similar style to mine.
My style is similar to yours. there are some minor differences. but for the most part, we align on several aspects.

your opposition may not be terrible. they just may not be used to a good Soraka. I see that a lot. One of Soraka's biggest assets right now, is that peopel don't know what she's capable of. but those that do, know she's painfully weak.

Soraka, contrary to popular belief, is one of the most difficult champs to play. simply because she's so easy to counter and does so little damage.

her biggest damage output is early. when building soraka you need to figure out first how you want to play her.

Like ultraman, i play Soraka very offensively at the start. Starcall is the best farming/harassing tool pre level 3. do you know why? starcall does not draw minion aggro. you can harass and not take an additional 50-100 damage from minions. because starcall is for early lane dominance, you don't really need it past level 2 unless you're mid. my usual skill build is qeeqwreeewrwwwqrqq. but i will vary this depending on my team/opponent. the important thing to remember with Soraka is your build MUST be dynamic.

your runes will be very, very important. I use magic pen marks, HP/level seals, magic pen glyphs, and armor quints. but i play an off-tank soraka. i most often use 9/21/0 masteries but occasionally go 0/21/9 for the xp buff and mp/hp regen if i know i'm going to mid. i almost always use fortify and heal. this is where my style typically differs the most from other peopel who main Soraka. some people think heal is a waste. you already have 2 heals. but i don't usually go above ~200AP. which some people think is painfully low for a Soraka. but with 200AP and summoner heal, you can burst heal for 1680. not to mention with the new items, you have a lot of options to go defensive and AP. (abysal, hourglass, rylais/RoA etc.) most games i'm ending around 300AP. and i have heal as a backup for team fights. it's also very useful early, because i dont' get blessing till level 5. your playstyle needs to reflect your choices of spells/runes/items. what i do may not work for you, so you need to experiment.

i usually recommend mana-regen for beginers with soraka. mana efficiency is something that comes with practice. once you get to the point you're almost always infusing the enemy and not yourself: you can take off the mana regen runes for something else. CDR, armor, and HP are all good choices. of course, nothing wrong with keeping the mana-regen.

i start with boots and health potions, for the survivability and because i'm not getting heal until level 5 in most cases. if you start with heal, you really really need to either start with mana or a tome to make it cost effective. i highly recomend against starting with astral blessing. you'll get far more out of starcall or infuse. when laning against someone like xin, you want infuse instead of starcall. he does too much damage too quickly to rely on starcall. there are little tricks you learn along the way like that. there are some champs you just dont' want to get close to.

because Soraka is slow, and because her ability ranges are pretty small, anyone that can outrange you and is a phsyical DPS will cause you major problems. Soraka is best used against casters because of her passive and her silence. but that doesnt' mean she can't be potent against physical DPS. the especially squishy DPS (teemo and tristana) can have a hard time against her.

PunishmentDivine

01-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonhellkite View Post
I usually lock in a Rally + Smite Soraka when I want someone else to que dodge so I don't have to wait the 5 minutes. (no joke) I'd like to see Riot try and fix that one! It always makes me laugh though when nobody que dodges.. and I have to be the one to do it, scares me to think that some people are really that idiotic.
LOLLLLLLLLLL considering buying soraka just for this purpose