constant or scaled runes?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

unjoying

01-05-2010

is it better to get those that give a constant benefit regardless of your level, or those that give a lower benefit initially, but a greater benefit at lvl 18?

looney

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-05-2010

It depends on the champions that are you playing and on the style.

Most of the flat runes are better till level 10, and worse afterwards. If you want a better early game - flat, for mid/late - level 18 runes.

Melonyan

01-05-2010

I would say you really have to evaluate it on a per-rune basis as some of the scaling runes surpass their counterparts earlier. For example, the progressive +armour runes catch up at I believe level 9, while most of the others I checked didn't catch up until ~level 11-13. Also some heroes may benefit/require an earlier advantage while others are already quite dominant at the start of the game, so having the greater benefit after level 9, 11, 13, or whatever it is may be better for them.

Though there is another deciding factor which can't be ignored and that is the infamous level 1 team fight, in which flat runes and starting items play a huge role. Team fights this early happen almost never in low-mid Elo games and even in high Elo games they often don't happen. So you have to decide if you think a greater chance at winning the potentially very early first team fight is worth sacrificing greater mid-late game potential. Also who knows, your early-game runes may save you from an early FB attempt by 3 heroes, shaco etc while your scaling runes would be practically useless.

With all that said, and taking in to consideration that the current meta-game more often favors those that succeed early the flat runes tend to be the popular choice, but I wouldn't discredit scaling runes entirely and for some attributes it may be your best bet.

Kelin

01-05-2010

Depends on the runes.

Flat Health Quentence runes are awesome as they give you the hard needed amount of hp at start.

Flat health seals are not as good as /level as they got nerfed HARD so you surpass it already on lvl 5.

Cooldown reduce runes are also better /level. Not only the price is taken into account here, but you generally take it for ultimate cooldowns which doesn't count till you hit lvl 6. Also @ start you generally need to play mana conservative play while endgame you got a lot of mana to waste and keep struggling with your cooldowns on certain heroes. (Also, for some heroes cooldown reduction items are just not good, or partially).

Other words, it depends on the rune/goal you try to achieve with it.