What items should Vlad use now?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Apothem

01-06-2011

First, I'm a noob Vlad. I got him like a week before the recent patch was released. Before I would rush Zhonyas ring then get Rylais and other stuff, but now ZRing has split into two and I'm kind of split upon what I should get (and so in a way I feel like they nerfed Vlad. In a way).

Here are the items I'm thinking would be usable for Vlad:
Spirit Visage, Rylais, Zhonyas, Rabadon, Ionian shoes, Void Staff

Though I feel like instead of Void Staff I should probably get Lich Bane, and maybe sell Spirit Visage for Guardian Angel later in the game.

How do you (or others) build Vlad now?

Aftyn

01-06-2011

-Sorcerers shoes (magic Penetration)
-Will of the Ancients (spell vamp and 80 AP)
-Mejia's (even more AP)
-Warmogs (slight AP and survivability)
-Rylia's Crystal Staff (provides massive health and slow and AP)
-Rabadon's death cap

Your an AP champion (also known as an AP *****) Your primary goal is to deal damage/steal health through your Q. If you have 300 AP, your doing about 430 magic damage every 3 seconds (while also healing yourself). So I find magic penetration and AP very important.

OpCloud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-06-2011

sorcs
Rylais
Zhonyas
Rabadons
And I doubt you will get farther than this
Person above me is good but it is a common mistake to get warmogs on Vlad

Aftyn

01-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpCloud View Post

The person above me forgets how the extra health not only increases Vlad's survivability, but also gives him a bonus 54.8 AP when fully stacked, while the health regen helps him stay in a fight longer.

ForeverLaxx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-06-2011

Quote:
sorcs
Rylais
Zhonyas
Rabadons
And I doubt you will get farther than this
Warmog's isn't a mistake on Vlad. Don't spread misinformation. The mistake is getting Warmog's too early. It's much easier to farm than it used to be, and you'll need Rylais/Sorc Shoes/Half of WotA for midgame to snowball in your favor properly. Picking up Warmog's for your midgame will only set you back.

And speaking of spreading misinformation, you should probably shorten Zhonya's Hourglass to just Hourglass, since most people (including me) think of the old Zhonya's when we see that word, not the "new" Zhonya's.

Apothem

01-06-2011

Wait so when should one feel that getting Warmogs is good? Late game?

BackDoorer

01-06-2011

NO to warmog's on vlad EVER
the way to play vlad is to his strengths, which is basically melting the opposition while you laugh at them in a pool of blood under their feet

so the way to build would be...
start with amp tome
if you're facerolling:
boots 1 and mejai
else:
sorc boots and start on rylai

finish sorc boots and rylai, buying blasting wand over giant's belt
needlessly large rod and finish deathcap
needlessly large rod and finish hourglass
negatron cloak into force of nature and you'll be pretty much unstoppable

edit: if you didnt get mejai on account of sub optimal amounts of facerolling, get a void staff before FoN,
the reason you don't get FoN if you're pwning is because the other team would have had a chance to build MR items which would stop you from further pwnage.
however, if you're already pwning, you push your advantage with even more AP and end the game right there

ForeverLaxx

01-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apothem View Post
Wait so when should one feel that getting Warmogs is good? Late game?
Warmog's is a decent item to shoot for after Rylais, boots, and WotA. The health regen and bonus damage to your pool are worth it if you need to use your pool to slow a runner instead of saving it for an escape. Also, if you have to use pool to dodge something in the middle of a teamfight, that extra damage from using it will help turn the tide quicker.

Quote:
NO to warmog's on vlad EVER
Continue to be a suboptimal Vlad player. Warmog's isn't a bad item anymore.

Kamikaze kae

01-06-2011

it all depends on your team and thiers if you are constanly dyin or low then ya go get yourself some HP if your not dyin or low then go build your AP so ya its all up to how you play whether or not to get warmong or not

Sacull Kinslayer

01-06-2011

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftyn View Post
The person above me forgets how the extra health not only increases Vlad's survivability, but also gives him a bonus 54.8 AP when fully stacked, while the health regen helps him stay in a fight longer.
What most Vlad's also FORGET is that the ONLY way to increase Sanguine Pool's damage is not through AP... but through bonus health only. And that does not include runes or HP from leveling. That means there are only 3 or 4 viable items for Vlad that increase SP's damage. And Warmog's increases it the most... by 205 bonus damage when fully stacked. On Vlad Warmogs can be used OFFENSIVELY as a bonus to its huge HP and HP/5.

Now I am not someone who says get Warmogs every game. It depends on the game you are in. I personally think it is very useful IF you plan on keeping 4 stacks of Tides of Blood up AT ALL TIMES to take advantage of the increased DPS and increased 32% healing regen and health gain from your Q and Will of Ancients.

Otherwise this is what I suggest

Sorc's Shoes
hextech Revolver --> Will of Ancients
Rylai's
Rabadon's
Abyssal (if you need resist or more MPen) or Void Staff (if they are stacking huge amounts of Magic Resist... like 80+)
Zhonya's

(I would avoid Mejai's Soulstealer until you are comfortable with Vlad... and once your competition gets better it makes the stacks even harder to keep up. I would try to learn not to depend on it.)

All Vlad items should activate one or both ends of Crimson Pact. UNLESS and ONLY if a specific game situation dictates otherwise.

If they are AD heavy I actually suggest 2 Zhonya's... (if not 3) to combat the melee damage. But that is VERY situational.

And if you are facing Veigar I suggest getting Force of Nature and Abyssal because as an AP Vlad Veigar can 1 shot you. You may even want to get Warmogs against a Veigar.

Vlad is a VERY situational champion. There is no cookie cutter build nor is there only 1 right way to build him. I have won with all the above mentioned builds. I have even won with Sorc shoes > Will of Ancients > Rylai's > Zhonya's > Hextech Gunblade > Hextech Gunblade. MUCH depends on your play style and the game you are in.

If you build for AP as your #1 stat and let the game dictate you last couple items you can't go wrong. I also highly recommend 9/21/0 for your masteries as the defensive tree offers Vlad so much more than the utility tree. Bonus HP (which adds more AP), Bonus AP (which adds more HP), Dodge, Armor, Magic Resist, and damage reduction versus some bonus xp, CDReduction (which vlad doesn't require) and bonus speed in utility.

Also remember Vlad is the ultimate grinder. Play defensive first and just grind on your opponents until that opportune moment arrives.