[Guide] How to play Karthus balls to the wall!!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JigglyThePuff

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritara View Post
Archangel doesn't have a cap, tears does. Unless there's some hidden cap that I don't know about.

Archangel doesn't mention a cap but it still has one. I've hit it.

Kritara

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JigglyThePuff View Post
Archangel doesn't mention a cap but it still has one. I've hit it.
So after about a 1/2 an hour of testing. I've confirmed it. the bonus is still 600 mana bonus. So, I'm not so sure how much I like arch-angel staff anymore. Granted with 1975 mana, the staff gives 84 AP; which breaks down to 45 from the staff alone and 39.5 from the mana bonus....Interesting to note, this gives us 84.5, which the game displays as only 84.

While I'm not entirely sure the exact numbers Karthus with my final build will have upwards of 4k mana. That's 80 AP from mana alone, add in the 45 base and you get 125 total AP from it. Which makes it a great snowball item, on characters with high mana.

Kritara

01-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elementz View Post
Philostone is a waste of gold. Make a catalyst. Pretty much the same thing but better because you just make it into a RoA.

With defile, a catalyst, and basic regen you really don't need anything else to keep you in lane for long periods of time. Also you can just buy a couple HP pots if you get into real trouble.

You talk about staying in lane as much as possible. Getting a philostone + arch angel gives you no HP what so ever. Sure you have good mana regen but having no HP doesn't really work out if you want to stay in lane and survive.

Also the soulstealer. Your team wins ONE team fight, you hit everysingle one probebly with defile and your ulti. That's 5 stacks if you didnt' get a single kill. Say you got 2 kills that 10 stacks 100 AP. Soulstealer on him early is absolutetly invaluble. It's a must.

Now I know this is your playstyle but I've played vs the best players in this game with my karthus and won.

Just believe me when I say Philo is useless and you're much better off with any other item then it.

Honestly at my elo I haven't seen a philostone is about 2 months. Since it's nerf it's a pretty useless item overall and a waste of gold.
I'm not sure what's your w/l ratio. But you have 45 more wins then me at the time of this posting. With around a 50/50 w/l ratio you've played..almost 100 games more then me. Maybe it'll be different for me 100 games from now, but I still stand by the philosopher's stone. Not only does it grant g/p5 but you can sell it back as well.

That extra health/mana is nice from catalyst; and if you level provides a nice boost in mana/health regen...but what if you don't need it exactly when you level? A philosopher's stone will still:
a) give you a little extra pocket change(i.e Say you buy the stone within the first 5 minutes of the game{which is easily feasible} 25 minutes later at 30 minutes mark of the game it will have given you 750g plus sells back for 557g. That's 1307g you didn't have before. A net profit of 192 g,
b) While it's giving you that gold it's also providing you with an additional 22 hp/5 and 10 mp/5.

On the other hand you can go with the protector which I think costs about 300 more. It gives you 400 more health and 325 more mana. While also giving you 425 and 325 mana when you level up. Assuming your in a health and mana deficiet every time you level up, this item will approximately provide you with 7225 health and 5525 mana as you level up. Now ask yourself this how long does it take you to hit lvl 18 or whenever you get rid of the item.

Suppose you hit level 18 within 30 minutes. This item has now given you 7225 health in 30 minutes. Which equates to 240 health in 1 minute. 4 health per second or 20 health every 5 seconds. Hrmm, mathmatically inferier to the philosopher's stone if you hit lvl 18 within 30 minutes.

Ok. Let's look at the mana. 5525 mana within 30 minutes, 184 per minute, 3 per second, finally totally at 15 mana per 5. Which is greater.

So on one hand you have the protector granting you 20 hp/5 and 15 mp/5(only if you needed the full amount at each time you leveled) and saving you 1325

So basically it comes down to this: Catalyst provides a little less health and a little more mana every 5 seconds if and only if you hit lvl 18 within 30 minutes and each time you leveled needed the health and mana.

Unless you level, while in the lane; catalyst does not provide you with regeneration, but it does provide you with a higher TTD(time to die).

Philospher on the other side, will provide you with the regeneration plus 1307 gold for 30 minutes. Think about that, the item literaly cost you nothing if you hold onto it for about 30 minutes, infact it gave you 192 gold.

Now if the majority of your games end before 30 minutes, hell get a catalyst if you want, not that it will really matter as it wasn't a balanced game. I still stand by getting a philospher's stone, I like the mana regen, and it compliments my 1gp/5 from utility tree, plus 3 avarice quints.

Basilisk9466

01-09-2010

Point is, Catalyst provides bursts, which a canny player can make use of. I can think of one or two fights that I've won (or at least survive) due to a convenient Catalyst boost. It also builds up into the RoA, which is a pretty decent core item for Karthus.

Philosopher's stone isn't a bad item, IMO, but I'd rather just farm to hell and back with Karthus for the extra gold. When you start going offensive, the regen isn't terribly important (you either die or most likely have to port back regardless, unless it was a complete slaughter), and early on you're using the longest range spell (Ashe doesn't count -_-) in the game to farm and harass.

Kritara

02-22-2010

So I've been playing karthus lately, and decided it was time to update my build. I still like the Philosopher's stone, but lately have found it unessesary.