[Guide] How to play Karthus balls to the wall!!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

gatsu

Master Recruiter

01-07-2010

solo mid setup

9/0/21
flash/teleport
Runes
Mpen, HP/Mana per lvl, AP/lvl, 6% exp from quints

catalyst
boots (swiftness or mobility) fast karthus ftw
finish RoA
are we/me pwning?
y= zhonyas
n= 2nd RoA
abyssal sceptor
rylais or frozen heart
lots of elixir and golem buff

ive played 200+ games with karthus using all kinds of builds but i keep coming back to this or something similar. play conservative harass early, get a couple cheap ult kills. nail lots of last hits keep the items coming fast. once you got a few levels on the the non solos zip around all speedy like and gank. proceed to be fed making you lvl even faster. lol like a little girl when your ult hits enemies for 40%+ of their life. wait for 25min mark to collect your win.

or

fall behind early go negative and get yelled at. karthus sucks like that sometimes...

Kritara

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatsu View Post
solo mid setup

9/0/21
flash/teleport
Runes
Mpen, HP/Mana per lvl, AP/lvl, 6% exp from quints

catalyst
boots (swiftness or mobility) fast karthus ftw
finish RoA
are we/me pwning?
y= zhonyas
n= 2nd RoA
abyssal sceptor
rylais or frozen heart
lots of elixir and golem buff

ive played 200+ games with karthus using all kinds of builds but i keep coming back to this or something similar. play conservative harass early, get a couple cheap ult kills. nail lots of last hits keep the items coming fast. once you got a few levels on the the non solos zip around all speedy like and gank. proceed to be fed making you lvl even faster. lol like a little girl when your ult hits enemies for 40%+ of their life. wait for 25min mark to collect your win.

or

fall behind early go negative and get yelled at. karthus sucks like that sometimes...
You should never fall to far behind. Remember karthus is a farming machine. Even without arch-angel, with golem buff your a farming machine. If your behind, let your team 4v5 while you solo lane. You can still support with ulti. If your really getting rolled hard, and I mean impossibly hard; their 30 kills to your team's 5 then your just SOL and might as well surrender @ 25.
I can't say I agree with your quint choice. The mastery xp is more then enough to give you an edge in middle. I prefer 3 avarice quints when using karthus because:
1) I don't need more mana
2) quinting for more survivability is barely a difference at 18, but
3) 3 Avarice quint is 3 g/10 sec. Add that with 1 from utility and 5 from philosopher and it helps alot.

Basilisk9466

01-07-2010

Fairly sure I read somewhere that Tears and Archangel both cap out at 600 mana, and don't stack on each other (so you can't get 1200).

Kritara

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-07-2010

I know tears has a 600 mana cap, however arch-angel staff doesn't say it has one in the game. That's why in the guide I specifically, say don't get tears, just the other pieces and upgrade straight up the staff.

bobthegood

01-07-2010

No lichbane? You can spam lay waste like crazy and throw in attacks for good dmg. The movespeed is also plenty nice. You wouldn't want to get it right away but later in the build it will greatly increase your damage if you have decent AP, perhaps from a mid to max stacked soulstealer.

Basilisk9466

01-08-2010

Lichbane is possible, but it risks the 'too many toys' syndrome.

Rylai's isn't really optional - that's a good 3k gold.

Rod of Ages likewise, it gives you some of what you need of everything - another 3k gold.

Archangel's is a little more debateable, but an extra 1000 mana (minimum, if Krit's right), some regen and all that AP is hard to pass up on. Another 3k.

That's 9k gold in core items - Lichbane is another 3k on top of that, and by that point, I'd probably be more tempted by Zhonya's than a Lichbane, which sends Lichbane to the back of the queue as a 6th item.

Besides, Karthus has three attack modes - Snipe, where you use LW at extreme range, out of autoattack range. Defile, where you are constantly moving in order to keep enemies in your aura. And LAZORZ, where you're on the opposite side of the map. None of these really allow for autoattacks. It could give you a nice tower killing boost, but unless you're seriously short on tower damage, I'm not sure it'd be worth it.

Kritara

01-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthegood View Post
No lichbane? You can spam lay waste like crazy and throw in attacks for good dmg. The movespeed is also plenty nice. You wouldn't want to get it right away but later in the build it will greatly increase your damage if you have decent AP, perhaps from a mid to max stacked soulstealer.
You missed the point of this guide. No problem not many play with a suicidal mentality like I do. Yes lichbane would be great dps, but dead karthus's can't auto attack. This guide is all about karthus initiating with as much survivability as possible while having decent damage. As I said in the guide, you probably won't have a great kdr but you will sow havok on the field.

This guide requires your teammate to have a pair and go in as well, else yes grab lichbane and do more damage; your survivability will suffer, but hey your probably not initiating anymore and just been relegated to a dps role. Which is fine and dandy, I just happen to play a lot of pug games and 80% of the pug games out there have people who wouldn't know when to initiate and much less have the balls to.

Elementz

The Council

01-08-2010

Good overall info but your item build is just god awful.

NEVER get a philo stone on him. Absolutely useless.

ALWAYS get an early soulstealer. You will get charges so quickly reguardless of you dying or not.

Rod of ages, Rylais, Soulstealer, Void Staff, and Sorc boots are all you really need on him and then a Guardian Angel. You make him into a high AP HP tank and you just wreck people and you have a stronger ability to dive and tank in team fights.

Personally I don't really care for an Arch Angel as it costs a **** load and all it really gives you is a little bit of AP to start off with opposed to a Rylais that's cheaper that gives you slow, 80 AP, and 550 HP I think opposed to mana and some AP. You're gonna need a lot of mana to go over 80 AP from Arch too which is prolly 40 mins + into the game. Also leaves you a lot weaker earlier. So I prefer a RoA or a Rylai's over a Arch Angel any day.

Kritara

01-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elementz View Post
Good overall info but your item build is just god awful.

NEVER get a philo stone on him. Absolutely useless.

ALWAYS get an early soulstealer. You will get charges so quickly reguardless of you dying or not.

Rod of ages, Rylais, Soulstealer, Void Staff, and Sorc boots are all you really need on him and then a Guardian Angel. You make him into a high AP HP tank and you just wreck people and you have a stronger ability to dive and tank in team fights.

Personally I don't really care for an Arch Angel as it costs a **** load and all it really gives you is a little bit of AP to start off with opposed to a Rylais that's cheaper that gives you slow, 80 AP, and 550 HP I think opposed to mana and some AP. You're gonna need a lot of mana to go over 80 AP from Arch too which is prolly 40 mins + into the game. Also leaves you a lot weaker earlier. So I prefer a RoA or a Rylai's over a Arch Angel any day.
Philopsher stone useless on him, not at all. Will you ever take damage, hrmm? If not clearly the opposing team are chumps and it doesnt really matter. You going to pill back everytime you need to heal? No that's time wasted that you can't get back.

Early soulstealer is optional as i said in my guide. If they're a bunch of feeders by all means go for it, but I'd rather have more time for my RoA to mature if it's a closer game.

As for the Arch Angel, it allows you much more mana regen to push hard with defile, not to mention as I said, running out of mana during your undead cast time sucks hard.

Basically it's all down to playstyle, I prefer as few trips back as possible so yes I will take philospher's stone early on to keep me in the lane longer, which keeps me ahead of the curve in the game. I'm not telling you to keep the ******ed thing, by all means sell it to get better items. But early on, if you get pressured out of your lane because you have ****tastic mana regen, well guess what. Your xp gain is now a turd in the ****per until you get back.

Elementz

The Council

01-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritara View Post
Philopsher stone useless on him, not at all. Will you ever take damage, hrmm? If not clearly the opposing team are chumps and it doesnt really matter. You going to pill back everytime you need to heal? No that's time wasted that you can't get back.

Early soulstealer is optional as i said in my guide. If they're a bunch of feeders by all means go for it, but I'd rather have more time for my RoA to mature if it's a closer game.

As for the Arch Angel, it allows you much more mana regen to push hard with defile, not to mention as I said, running out of mana during your undead cast time sucks hard.

Basically it's all down to playstyle, I prefer as few trips back as possible so yes I will take philospher's stone early on to keep me in the lane longer, which keeps me ahead of the curve in the game. I'm not telling you to keep the ******ed thing, by all means sell it to get better items. But early on, if you get pressured out of your lane because you have ****tastic mana regen, well guess what. Your xp gain is now a turd in the ****per until you get back.
Philostone is a waste of gold. Make a catalyst. Pretty much the same thing but better because you just make it into a RoA.

With defile, a catalyst, and basic regen you really don't need anything else to keep you in lane for long periods of time. Also you can just buy a couple HP pots if you get into real trouble.

You talk about staying in lane as much as possible. Getting a philostone + arch angel gives you no HP what so ever. Sure you have good mana regen but having no HP doesn't really work out if you want to stay in lane and survive.

Also the soulstealer. Your team wins ONE team fight, you hit everysingle one probebly with defile and your ulti. That's 5 stacks if you didnt' get a single kill. Say you got 2 kills that 10 stacks 100 AP. Soulstealer on him early is absolutetly invaluble. It's a must.

Now I know this is your playstyle but I've played vs the best players in this game with my karthus and won.

Just believe me when I say Philo is useless and you're much better off with any other item then it.

Honestly at my elo I haven't seen a philostone is about 2 months. Since it's nerf it's a pretty useless item overall and a waste of gold.