AP Zilean: Toggle against Time

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

T0ggle

01-05-2010

After being asked how to play zilean the way I do, I have decided to make a guide on it.
(Zilean is fairly easy to play, its all about perfect timing and skilled ChronoShifts. A pro Zilean can solo 2 enemys while a friendly jungles easily by tower hugging.)
So in this guide i'll be posting my skill path, item build, summoner spells, masteries, runebook and extra thoughts, but I will not be posting his Bio or skill tooltips because I feel that is a big waste of time. Enjoy!

Rate my guide when your done reading it, and if you like it do me a favor, give thumbs down to any trolling posts.

With that being said here is the skill path I have chosen
1.Time Bomb
2.Rewind
3.Time Bomb
4.Time Warp
5.Time Bomb
6.ChronoShift
7.Time Bomb
8.Rewind
9.Time Bomb
10.Rewind
11.ChronoShift
12.Rewind
13.Rewind
14.Time Warp
15.Time Warp
16.ChronoShift
17.Time Warp
18.Time Warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toggle
Time bomb is your main source of harassment and damage, you want to use this first then refresh its cooldown with Rewind so you can detonate the first bomb and place another. Utilize Time Warp as a means to bomb twice from bushes and get ignite in quickly before hes able to run away. Prepare to ChronoShift teamates at any time, so pay attention to your surroundings. Use ChronoShift on yourself if your are about to tower dive, or if your able to use it to tank the enemy team while your team slaughters their HP unknoticed. Use Time Warp like you would with exhaust, if theres a good melee champion like shaco or yi around they will benifit from it greatly early game.
My item build consists of
rejuvenation bead
1x Healing potion
faerie charm(Vision ward instead if stealth is playing)
boots of speed
tear of the goddess
sorcerer's boots
blasting wand
uppgrade rejuvenation bead to either wardens mail or spirit visage
abyssal scepter(void staff if the team is getting over 60magic resist)
archangel's staff
zhonyas ring
banshees if you got wardens mail, frozen heart if you got spirit visage

Quote:
Rejuvenation bead is great because it can turn into a tanking item mid to late game and give you slight hp regen to shrug off harassment. The hp pot is for emergencies and the faerie charm just gives slight mana regen while you wait to buy tears. As soon as you get Tear of the goddess, spam your spells in shop before you leave everytime you are at shop, this will give you mana every time you cast and increase its capacity. If you keep track of your mana like I do, you may be able to get a second blasting wand before you get archangel's staff.
Summoner spells
Ignite - people really underestimate this spell, at level 18 it deals nearly 500 damage, wich is a lot considering it can save you the trouble of running after someone early to late game. make sure you take your level and calculate the damage ignite will do before you use it, or make sure they have around 100hp or less exactly so that its in the bag.
(off thoughts, make sure they use their heal first before you waste ignite on accident, if you don't know if they have heal or not, go ahead and use it then, they might just forget they have heal.)
Rally - You can bait the enemy into attacking you with low hp, pop this sucker and get some kills, if pulled off correctly.

Quote:
Ignite combined with bombs can nuke a person from half hp to none in no time flat, remember that. Using rally like you would masochism on mundo can get the other team to underestimate your abilitys and get cocky around you with low hp.
Masteries 21/0/9
3 Archmage's Savvy
2 deadliness
4 Sorcery
1 Burning embers
1 Archaic Knowledge
3 Sunder
3 Brute Force
3 Lethality
1 Improved Rally
1 Havoc
~
1 Good Hands
3 Perseverence
4 Expanded Mind
1 Utility master

Quote:
The only skills needing a reason are deadliness, sunder and Lethality. All of wich are just slight advantages to regular hits early game. Chances are you may critical hit, and the other team will hate it.
Runebook
Marks 9 "Greater Mark of Insight" +0.95magic penetration each = 8.55!
Seals 9 "Greater Seal of Focus" +0.29Cooldown Reduction each = 2.34!
Glyphs 9 "Greater Glyph of Insight" +0.57magic penetration each = 5.13 !
Quintessences 3 "Greater Quintessence of Insight" +1.89magic penetration each = 5.67!
Our Total effect = +19.35magic penetration and +2.34Cooldown Reduction!

Quote:
Magic pen makes your bombs go straight to their HP, and the Cooldown reduction added with masteries makes for a decent refresh on all spells.
Early game tips
Request for an agressive partner good at harassment, make sure you start bombing at time bomb level 2+, so you can release 2 of them at once on one champion.
Focus on the champion thats most squishy or the one thats not getting any hp regen, Conserve mana well and don't use Time Warp to much. You want to focus all mana on Time bombs, sometimes you don't even need to use Rewind.

Mid game tips
By now you should have tear and sorcerer's boots, if not more. gank were possible and take advantage of ChronoShift to tower dive when needed.

Late game tips
your a big dps'er with support speed and ressurection buffs, remember that and you can't fail.(that is unless your bad at using Zileans buffs correctly)

No Screenshots, none needed really.

Video Gameplay
Coming soon....

Extra thoughts
Best laning partners is really anyone, I perfer someone with slow spells and decent dps like shaco or a Jungler with decent ganking capabilitys like warwick. But I absolutely love to solo 2 enemys while 1 friendly jungles, both you and your friendly gain more levels then the 2 people in your lane because of it and you can get nuke kills when the enemy gets to cocky and decides to tower dive.

If you liked this guide take a look at my other guides -
Mordekaiser_
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?p=724151
Nasus_
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?p=173911
Shaco_
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=25473
Nidalee_
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=37420
Gragas_
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?p=610365
Teemo_
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?p=650921

Fbsunny

01-05-2010

good guide, only thing is that with your 40 magic penetration from sorc boots and runes, 15% from masteries, the void staff passive doesn't get better then the abyssal scepters until 80 magic resistance

also the fact that the abyssal scepter can also help your teammates should be taken into account, if you have a lot of other magic damage and no one else already has a scepter it is probably worth it to get one even if it helps you a bit less

keftes

Recruiter

01-05-2010

How do you manage early game without any mana reg?

T0ggle

01-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by keftes View Post
How do you manage early game without any mana reg?
Funny you should say that, I don't need mana regen at all till later levels when i'm spamming time bombs like crazy. early game level 2 time bomb deals over 100damage wich is enough to really rock a squishy that has 400-600hp. with a good laning partner you can get off with some easy kills.

Grovel

01-05-2010

*Very bad player/post incoming

I can't even beat the bots with Zilean- I have no idea how you guys solo lane vs. 2 humans I can never get kills, just harass and as the game goes on I just fall farther behind.

I'll give this guide a shot until Zilean is removed from the freebies, but I don't understand how 2 timebombs can pressure anything but a minion pack at half life.

/my hat is off to you sir!

Razerwind

01-05-2010

The first time I played Zilean against bots I went 35-0-15 approximately. His double Time Bomb is brutal. After that I did a normal game and won with 7-1-5ish. The key is like the OP said: knowing how to double time bomb and when to use chrono shift and on who.

Grovel

01-05-2010

What's the double timebomb trick besides using it, rewinding, and throwing another one up on another target? I know pound for pound the AoE damage is great, but is that all there is too it.

Maybe I was using a terrible item build? I also don't have any runes yet...

Zerthimon

01-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovel View Post
What's the double timebomb trick besides using it, rewinding, and throwing another one up on another target? I know pound for pound the AoE damage is great, but is that all there is too it.

Maybe I was using a terrible item build? I also don't have any runes yet...
The "trick" is that if you place a time bomb on a target that already has the time bomb, the first time bomb will explode, leaving the second one to run it's course.

Kaoculus

01-19-2010

my own thoughts. ( i main zilean)
when i defend my turrets against many people, i usually double bomb a weak creep. this way, both bombs explode instantly and all heroes and creeps get hit.
i usually play my zilean very support-oriented. so i get clarity and ghost. ghost so i don't have to cast my speed boost on myself and can use it to slow others down. and clarity for early game, b/c i'm very big on harassing. timing it so that you can time bomb a creep right before it dies can really screw up a hero like.. udyr who will keep going turtle when he sees a bomb on his head.